Truck driver dead in fiery collision after hazmat truck stopped on I-94, troopers say

A

Ashley

335939455_6689189724430956_1009816158435101965_n-600x450.jpeg

The North Dakota Highway Patrol (NDHP) has provided more information on Wednesday’s fatal hazmat crash that occurred on I-94 near Mapleton.

The incident began around 1:45 p.m. on March 15, when a Volvo hauling a tanker filled with ethylene glycol (green antifreeze) stopped for unknown reasons in an active lane of traffic on westbound I-94.

A Peterbilt driver hauling a large piece of HVAC equipment swerved left while approaching the Volvo in the right lane of the interstate, but still struck the tanker. The Volvo was pushed off I-94 and partially into a ditch.

BREAKING: Officials say there was a fatality in the semi crash and fire that happened earlier this afternoon on I-94 between Mapleton is Casselton. The trucks were carrying ‘hazardous material’ NDHP says. Waiting to be briefed with more info here on scene shortly. pic.twitter.com/rs94aaR6WB

— Bailey Hurley (@BaileyHurleyVNL) March 15, 2023

The Peterbilt caught fire after the crash.

The driver of the Peterbilt, a 72 year old Canadian resident, was unable to escape the cab and was killed in the fire.

The Volvo driver, Yuhai Zhu, 52, also from Canada, was not seriously injured.

NDHP said that 6,500 to 6,700 gallons of ethylene glycol spilled from the tanker.

Westbound I-94 was closed between Casselton and West Fargo for about eight hours on Wednesday.

The crash remains under investigation by state police.

Continue reading...