ABF | Truck Driving/honky Tonk Songs

6PakAbs

TB Veteran
Credits
With all the time away from home that a lot of long haul truckers do, especially in the 1940-50-60 era, there were a lot of songs about infidelity, heartbreak, broken families, etc.

I would think it would be fun to learn some of your favorite songs on this subject.
I like the group "Alabama" and their song "Roll On- 18 wheeler-Roll On"

On the Honky Tonk side, I like "I'm Gonna Hire a Wine-O to Decorate our Home" by Lefty Frizell. (how do you think I got those 6Pak Abs?)

Help me with this one...gotta be a lotta heartbreak in the trucking business..either your wife running around on you or you running around on your wife..should be fun to hear the reactions!

No running around.....Just a lot of long hours and...umm....doing things that weren't quite....how should I put this?

"Legal".......

George Thorogood's "Gearjammer".......at High Volume,.....Weaving through I-95 traffic, just south of D.C. on the ******* Circle.......with a...slightly...overloaded trailer....on a hot summer night.........Awake 20 hours to make a morning deadline in the City of Brotherly Thugs......

But,...I was always a Classical Music Aficionado,.........as I said before,..nothing better for I-80 traffic south of Chicago than Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyrie"...
Don't forget to chime in with the air horn........just like playing along with the symphony!

With all the time away from home that a lot of long haul truckers do, especially in the 1940-50-60 era, there were a lot of songs about infidelity, heartbreak, broken families, etc.

I would think it would be fun to learn some of your favorite songs on this subject.

On the Honky Tonk side, I like "I'm Gonna Hire a Wine-O to Decorate our Home" by Lefty Frizell. (how do you think I got those 6Pak Abs?)

Help me with this one...gotta be a lotta heartbreak in the trucking business..either your wife running around on you or you running around on your wife..should be fun to hear the reactions!

I know many guys listened to Big John Trimble on WRVA out of Richmond..........That's all he played on some nights.......Songs that made you want to quit,....and take a taxi right back to Mama's arms........

No running around.....Just a lot of long hours and...umm....doing things that weren't quite....how should I put this?

"Legal".......

George Thorogood's "Gearjammer".......at High Volume,.....Weaving through I-95 traffic, just south of D.C. on the ******* Circle.......with a...slightly...overloaded trailer....on a hot summer night.........Awake 20 hours to make a morning deadline in the City of Brotherly Thugs......

But,...I was always a Classical Music Aficionado,.........as I said before,..nothing better for I-80 traffic south of Chicago than Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyrie"...
Don't forget to chime in with the air horn........just like playing along with the symphony!

I know many guys listened to Big John Trimble on WRVA out of Richmond..........That's all he played on some nights.......Songs that made you want to quit,....and take a taxi right back to Mama's arms........
Early/mid-‘80’s...there was the JOC Radio Trucker Network. Anyone remember that? It was a syndicated show carried by satellite to a lot of radio stations around the country.

Early/mid-‘80’s...there was the JOC Radio Trucker Network. Anyone remember that? It was a syndicated show carried by satellite to a lot of radio stations around the country.

Wasn't that out of Cincinnati?

I have a record(!) album of Moore and Napier singing truck driver song..
"Hot Rod Kids and Women Drivers" is my favorite on that.

Google “Duke FM”. It’s like a chain radio station with multiple channels from MN to TN at least. Little heavy on the chick singers and a little more modern than it used to be. But pretty good for free.

Yep, WCKY Cin. any you yunguns old enough to remember Lee Moore, ( the coffe drinking night hawk) WWVA Wheeling W Va?

Gosh...I can’t quite remember where it was based out of. It was carried here on a local radio station on Friday or Saturday nights from midnight-6am.

Gosh...I can’t quite remember where it was based out of. It was carried here on a local radio station on Friday or Saturday nights from midnight-6am.

A lot of AM radio stations broadcast all across the US late at night.....By daybreak the signals faded out. There were some fantastic shows decades ago,.........the "satellite radio" of the '70's and '80's........

And,....just us truckers and other nighttime crawlers knew about those stations........

Hey!....."Phantom 309"!........

A lot of AM radio stations broadcast all across the US late at night.....By daybreak the signals faded out. There were some fantastic shows decades ago,.........the "satellite radio" of the '70's and '80's........

And,....just us truckers and other nighttime crawlers knew about those stations........

I feel good about starting this thread...now if seabreeze can post some of the songs mentioned..
Even though it is not a truck driving song...please post "I'm gonna hire a wine-o to decorate our home".
Who knows...the poor guy might have been a trucker!

Phantom 309 was written by a local Charlotte guy, Tommy Faile, one of Arthur Smith's Crackerjack boys

All true. I also remember ‘Nighttime America’ hosted by Bob Dearborn on the RKO Radio Network. I was in NYC a month ago and passed by where the broadcast originated from...1440 Broadway.