Truck/motorcycles wreck I-85 Greensboro NC

I am going to say something, but let me first express my heartfelt sympathy for the family of the dead person and issue a prayer for those injured. Now, stopping on an Interstate is becoming a real problem. Motorists, including truckers, are using the shoulders for everything under the sun. Unless one of the motorcycles had problems, why did they stop on 1-85? Go down any Interstate and you are constantly moving to the left lane in order to get away from a vehicle on the shoulder. Unless a motorist is prevented by any problem, they should go to the next ramp and get off to conduct what business that needs to be tended to, the shoulder of an Interstate is not the place to conduct business or bull%hit.

I have met one loose trailer wheel bouncing along I-85 and one very large generator flipping end over end on business 40.Highways are combat zones even on good days.

I have met one loose trailer wheel bouncing along I-85 and one very large generator flipping end over end on business 40.Highways are combat zones even on good days.

As our "inner structure" crumbles and especially our highways, the vehicles, the freight and the drivers are "crumbling" also. Contractors have forgotten how to tie a highway into a bridge, it is a big "bump" on and a big "bump" off. I would sure hate to be on a team operation today. I said all that to say this, maybe this is why so many vehicles are sitting on the shoulders, the roads are destroying the cars along with the trucks.

I am going to say something, but let me first express my heartfelt sympathy for the family of the dead person and issue a prayer for those injured. Now, stopping on an Interstate is becoming a real problem. Motorists, including truckers, are using the shoulders for everything under the sun. Unless one of the motorcycles had problems, why did they stop on 1-85? Go down any Interstate and you are constantly moving to the left lane in order to get away from a vehicle on the shoulder. Unless a motorist is prevented by any problem, they should go to the next ramp and get off to conduct what business that needs to be tended to, the shoulder of an Interstate is not the place to conduct business or bull%hit.

As our "inner structure" crumbles and especially our highways, the vehicles, the freight and the drivers are "crumbling" also. Contractors have forgotten how to tie a highway into a bridge, it is a big "bump" on and a big "bump" off. I would sure hate to be on a team operation today. I said all that to say this, maybe this is why so many vehicles are sitting on the shoulders, the roads are destroying the cars along with the trucks.

My Brother, I couldn't agree more with you on both postings. I will not stop my YRCF Unit, or my H-D on any shoulder unless they give up the Ghost...PERIOD !!

This is very sad for the Bikers. This new link makes it seem as though the Trucker was trying to escape but for the fact that he had a flat from the bike debris.

Such a sad deal.Hate what happen'd&hope the NCHP will use this example to the motoring public of why you should never park on a shoulder unless it is a emergency.So far haven't heard anything.Prayer's to all involved.It look like a War Zone when I came by this morning.

Reading the posts on this tragic topic I see most of you are addressing the unsafe practice of pulling to the shoulders of interstates.
However I notice in the video report that investigators are sure the trucker had drifted off to sleep which caused him to veer right.
So in that respect my take on this sad event is the hours of service should have never been changed,even though I know that is a mute point.
With the old hours of service rules,it was okay for a sleepy trucker to pull off in a safe area & grab a nap before continuing on.
With the current system companies are pushing their drivers to max out their hours to make delivery & pickup times.
Had this trucker not dozed off in my opinion,none of us would have been addressing this tragedy.

Reading the posts on this tragic topic I see most of you are addressing the unsafe practice of pulling to the shoulders of interstates.
However I notice in the video report that investigators are sure the trucker had drifted off to sleep which caused him to veer right.
So in that respect my take on this sad event is the hours of service should have never been changed,even though I know that is a mute point.
With the old hours of service rules,it was okay for a sleepy trucker to pull off in a safe area & grab a nap before continuing on.
With the current system companies are pushing their drivers to max out their hours to make delivery & pickup times.
Had this trucker not dozed off in my opinion,none of us would have been addressing this tragedy.
O'yes&NCDOT had a hay day with that piece of crap equipment that the driver was operating.

Yes Apostolic, all of the metrics played a part in this. We can't undo what Mother's against Tired Truckers has done along with an inept Congress. All we can do as Professionals is get our proper rest, and if we are tired and getting sleepy, pull off on a ramp, rest area, truck stop or shopping center. Late is better than dead or killing an innocent.
I know you agree, you've posted about proper rest many times on here, it's key in safe driving.

I couldn't agree more about the HOS. Been doing this for over 52 years and I have never felt pressure like I do now. I do still run a paper log and that helps some, but you know, I went for 25 or 30 years and my log book was never asked for. Now, the first words out of the trooper is, "let me see your log book, medical card and driver's license". The whole HOS is screwed up and we as drivers know it, but our "professional opinions" mean nothing to the bureaucrats.

I just learned from a posting on Facebook that these are 6 UPS Feeder Drivers out of the Burtonsville, MD. Hub on their way to Greensboro, NC.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rebuild.the.IBT/?fref=nf
My son is a feeder driver out of Fisherville, Va and at the present time he is on a bid run to Burtonsville. Sad and tragic to begin with, but more so when it gets close home. You would think that they would not have put themselves in that position. From the pictures, I believe it happened just south of Greensboro, where Bus. 1-85 merges with 1-85, almost in front of UPS Freight terminal.

You can bet your life savings that the truck driver is facing prison. He probably will never get to return to Florida.

My son is a feeder driver out of Fisherville, Va and at the present time he is on a bid run to Burtonsville. Sad and tragic to begin with, but more so when it gets close home. You would think that they would not have put themselves in that position. From the pictures, I believe it happened just south of Greensboro, where Bus. 1-85 merges with 1-85, almost in front of UPS Freight terminal.

You can bet your life savings that the truck driver is facing prison. He probably will never get to return to Florida.

With all due respect he may as well give his soul to Jesus because the state of NC will have his ass and then there will be the civil side of the matter.

You know the part I'm upset about and struggling with. The reports say that his Co-Driver was not injured. Why didn't he just pull over long before he suffered from sleep deprivation, and ask his partner to take the wheel ? It's all so senseless and frustrating. I ran team yrs. ago for a short while. The first thing I told my partner was, I don't care if I've only been asleep an hour, if your sleepy, wake me up.

I saw both drivers standing behind the truck with a trooper when I went by. They looked like immigrants to me (white guys in 70's track suits= Russian looking) They didn't appear upset about anything either