Truck Rumors

bigbird42368

TB Veteran
Credits
ok i might regret this but, what are you guys hearing about new trucks coming? does anyone know anything for sure?i figure someone of authority reads these post maybe they will clarify the rumors i have heard
1. 5 freightliners and 40 volvo's
2. 40 freightliners:smilie_132::smilie_132::smilie_132:
3. 5 freight shakers and 10 volvo's
last but not least and the one i come close to believing 5 of each

Bigbird after what happened with the last bunch of new trucks you would think that the freightliner:smilie_132: rumor would be true. Lets hope for the best. May be I will see you in ktown again.

Hey Guys!

Ahhh! I see you guys are in the "new truck" mentality as well. Seems that we are just "in bed" with International trucks. Last year the company purchased about 5 volvos and 5 freightliners as trial trucks. Talking to the guys that drive them they love both models compared to the Internationals ,but, as 1 of you commented in a previous post it seems that from a "problem free' standpoint the Freightliners seem to be the best! But, of course, in just talking with a few of the drivers from our home terminal in Altoona the company will be going back to ordering all International trucks this upcoming year. The reason......."It is just easier to train all of our people in maintenance to cope with all of the problems we are having with the Internationals as well as being easier to stock only 1 type of part to replace all of the parts that we have been replacing." Haha! Good to see the company is investing in a quality piece of equipment!!

The newer Volvos do appear to have alot of "down time",but the ones that have a few years behind them are very reliable and comfortable.The 65 mph trucks are alot more comfortable than the new 68 mph trucks..

Still deciding on the exact way we will go with tractors. Right now considering going with 5 Freightliners and their new engine to see how they will run and pull and the balance will be Volvo. I would look for a minimum of 40 Volvo's but could be as high as 60. Final count has not been decided yet but will have to make that final decision soon.

Just send me a new K Whooper with my name on the driver door " Professionally driven by BigW-RD"... world famous i might add.I may have to tint the windows. because I'm so handsome I don't won't to cause a traffic accident. Safety 1st that's what i say.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzpeace out BigW-RD

hey easyrider ,is this 40 to 60 volvo all road trucks or a mix of rd and city, also do you see any single axle rd trucks in this mix?

big rd, you must be smoking some good stuff ,,,waite a minute,i know you got a poster of me taped to your mirror and know what you see is handsome lol lol
i knew you were a fan of" the often imitated but never duplicated "BIGBIRD

That would be road trucks and we are still looking at city units. Single axles? Yes, I do see single axles in this mix and more than likely more single axles than tandem. There is a huge savings in cost between the single axle and tandem axle and the way the economy is right now we need to try and find savings where we can.

That would be road trucks and we are still looking at city units. Single axles? Yes, I do see single axles in this mix and more than likely more single axles than tandem. There is a huge savings in cost between the single axle and tandem axle and the way the economy is right now we need to try and find savings where we can.

I can understand the economical benefits of single axles,however wouldn't these new trucks be assigned to the run instead of the driver.Pulling pups with single axles will work fine but if your run requires you to pull a 53 ft box at 40K one night and your assigned tractor is a single axle,it cant happen...

while were talking about equipment, easyrider , i have herd there were 90 sets of doubles coming or some have said 90 pups,can you narrow this down for us?

i expect the single axles to be passed up by our most senior drivers,guys like me and you 9fan might end up with a new truck, most of them do not like pups or single axles

i expect the single axles to be passed up by our most senior drivers,guys like me and you 9fan might end up with a new truck, most of them do not like pups or single axles

As long as its an assigned truck,its fine.Pups isn't a problem.I will be more than happy to get a brand new single axle,hopefully they will be set at 68 mph.

We already have approximately 30 sets in the system. We are looking at purchasing 50 to 60 more sets or 100 to 120 pups however one prefers to look at it.

This would give us 80 to 90 sets total with the new purchase.

I understand that there are some that do not like pups and are not familiar with them. That makes sense because we have, by in large, been a company that pulls long trailers.

We have proven to ourselves that we can get a much higher load factor on a set of pups verse a van which will save us money in the long run.

I understand the new single axles are a very nice piece of equipment that are supposed to have a nice ride to them.

new trucks..

hello Easyrider.
my name is T.Hayes. I am an Eden road driver. I was wondering,with the purchase of all these new single axle tractors,what is the likehood we will end up going to a slip-seat operation some day.
I know several other LTL carriers that do that now,and most of those drivers are not happy with that set up.
Also when you have assigned uints the drivers seem to take better care of them,as opposed to slip-seating.
And if there is any damage to one of the units,there could be some question as to who was at fault.
Thank-you for your time.
-T.Hayes