Trucker Arrested After Crash(ALL OF US SHOULD READ!!!)

texasflood

TB Lurker
Credits
MARION, Ind. -- The driver of a semitrailer involved in a crash that killed four Taylor University students and one staff member faces several charges, Grant County prosecutor James Luttrull Jr. announced on Friday.

Robert F. Spencer, 37, of Canton Township, Mich., was arrested Friday afternoon at his home. Spencer faces five felony counts of reckless homicide and four felony counts of criminal recklessness.

On the day of the accident, Spencer had driven at least nine hours more than allowed under federal rules, said chief deputy prosecutor Bill Heck. Detectives said Spencer kept a false logbook and had been driving at least five hours more than allowed the day before the wreck and 10 hours more than allowed on the day of the crash.
Story Link

Please drive safe,and lets do the right thing drive legal! Our lives depend on it!!!

I also have no pity for the driver , but the company should also be held accountable. They knew of the drivers hours and activities and turned a blind eye in the name of the almight buck. If the company didn't allow this behaviour we wouldn't be having this discussion. The driver should never be allowed in a commercial truck again and the company should get a severe financial penalty that would get the attention of the shareholders and the others company shippers that are guilty of this same pratice.
Just my 2cents.

I also agree that his company is even more responcible for this tragic waste of these young lives.
I now that if I had a one time hours of service violation with UPS Freight,it could be my last day working here.
We have many warnings in place that no one would ever even dare to go over hours.
And thats the way all trucking companies should operate,in my opinion.

Apostolic said:
We have many warnings in place that no one would ever even dare to go over hours.
And thats the way all trucking companies should operate,in my opinion.
I agree 100% !! And they will not get off easy either,,,I am sure!

log it like you run it and don't exceed the h.o.s., learn how to tell dispatch NO, or go as far as legal and go to bed, Then if questioned why you did this, stand up straight and tell them IT'S THE LAW. if something bad were to happen, they won't even know who you are. you'll be out in the coldand on your own.

i have no pity for the driver,but i agree the company should also be held liable because these companies seem to think we are magicians that can pull hours out of the air.....i have had dispatchers try to get us to run over our hours,i have told them no,it's not their license on the line.....

i missed the part where it said he was a company driver. just because one person assumes something to be true, others should not be so quick to follow...

more than likey an o/o who needs to run two log books just to make ends meet

In our industry it is getting so that if you are even caught driving tired or fatigued it is the same thing as driving under the influnce of drugs or alcohol. It is being portrayed in the media this way more frequently and soon I feel that it will be one in the same for all intents and purposes. We have to stand up and tell these CO. that it is not now nor ever was worth the risk to our safety and the safety of other on the road with us. It's just freight it canbe replace. Not always cheaply but replaeced non the less.I feel sorry for the driver I'm sure that a multiple fatality accident was not his intent when he decided to do what he did, but unfortunately that is what happened. These CO. don't have the right to forces us behind the eight ball like they think they do all we have to do is say no I'm not going to do that. You may have to remeind them that you don't make up the laws you simple are expected to abide by them by powers greater than the almighty dispatcher or coordinator.I truely hope this driver getsa fair shake when it's all said and done.

In New York State,if you are driving with a cast somewhere on your body.
Like a broken arm,or leg.
If your in an accident,even if its not your fault,you could be in trouble for having an imparement.
You could be charged with driving while impared,or another form of (DWI)

Also dozing off at the wheel is concidered an imparement,and this also would be (DWI)

Anything that keeps you from total controll of a motor vehicle will get you arrested under the right conditions.

We all have to keep in mind that the price for our mistakes is getting higher and higher everyday. Years ago it used to be if you fell asleep and had an accident it was unfortunate and it ment that you would have to live withit the rest of you life along with higher insurance premiums and al that. But now it has become criminal and we are seeing situation where drivers are doing jail time for mistakes like this. Suddenly it has become appareent that it 's not worth losing your life ,freedom and family over just to satisfy so imaginary deadline that has been set by someone who more than like has no concept of what is at risk.

prounion said:
i missed the part where it said he was a company driver. just because one person assumes something to be true, others should not be so quick to follow...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"i saw the video last night, the company was Brooks. looks like a schneider box until the logo was visible."

this was in a post a few comments back you must have missed it.

--
Prounion

This was posted a few post back . you must have missed it

i saw the video last night, the company was Brooks. looks like a schneider box until the logo was visible.

Traveler said:
Years ago it used to be if you fell asleep and had an accident it was unfortunate and it ment that you would have to live withit the rest of you life along with higher insurance premiums and al that. But now it has become criminal and we are seeing situation where drivers are doing jail time for mistakes like this.
Hey now not to be disrespectful,but even years ago if you was involved in a crash that killed four people like this,I don't think your thinking about your insurance going up or being unfortunate....you would still be sitting in jail!!!! Laws were in place then as they are today! We all knew it,you take that chance...in a blink of an eye its over!!! It aint worth it,never has been,and never will be.