Trucker Blames GPS After Hitting Bridge

Be careful of some logistics programs that give directions to stops as well....Dont want to mention a company by name that has a logistics services routing program but it doesnt factor in bridges or streets that are commercially excluded...........

sounds like he needs this
Truck route map software gps system for truckers
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Routing[/FONT]
  • Updated PC*Miler maps including dock-to-dock in the US and Canada
  • Expanded HazMat Routing Options including General, Explosives, Inhalants and Radioactives.
  • National Network Routing is based on the federal government-designated highway system for oversized vehicles.
  • 53' Trailer Routing incorporates state governments' legal road designations for 53' trailers.
  • Practical Routing models the trade-off between taking the most direct path and staying on major, high quality highways or roads.
  • Shortest Routing represents distances and driving routes that a vehicle would take to minimize total distance traveled while still following a reasonable route.
  • Toll Avoidance Routing avoids long stretches of toll roads but will not take long, impractical detours to avoid toll bridges and tunnels.
  • Low bridge avoidance - keeps to legal trucking routes
  • Side-of-Street Address Detail tells you which side of the road your destination is on.
  • Lane Change Warnings alert you to upcoming left exits, ensuring that you have plenty of time to safely get to the proper side of the highway.
  • Spoken turn-by-turn instructions guide you to your pickup and drop points.
  • Automatic Route Recalculation: Directions are updated every second. If you miss a turn, you get new directions instantly.
  • Planning Mode gives you the ability to pre-plan and optimize routes before driving.
  • Route Optimization re-orders your stops in the most efficient manner.
  • Exportable State Mileage Report ensures accurate driver logs, trip sheets and fuel tax reports.
  • Fuel Cost Wizard lets you calculate your gas expenditure.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Interactive Route Guidance Technology [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Customizable Display lets you decide which pieces of navigation information are displayed on CoPilot Live's screen. You can choose among Current Road, Crossroad, Current Speed, Elevation, Nearest Town, Next Major Road, Time Left in Trip, Heading and Destination.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Selective routing, Detour and Avoid Roads: Gets you around unexpected traffic or street congestion and lets you avoid roads.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Waypoints let you tailor your route preferences and allow you to pass through a particular area on the way to your final destination.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Driver Break Times factors your break time into your trip itinerary so you always know exactly when you're going to arrive at your destination[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Know exactly when you'll arrive with constantly updated ETA [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CoPilot Truck's Nationwide Truck Routeable Database[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Millions of miles of street-level coverage of the entire continental US and Canada[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] More accurate routing with updated and improved highway interchange details[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Better navigation with increased one-way street listings [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Points of Interest and Destination Entry[/FONT]
  • POI Alerts notify you when you're approaching gas stations, restaurants or rest areas.
  • Pick Stops from the map - tap and hold a road to add an address as a stop.
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Contact Integration allows you to quickly enter a contact as your destination.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Easy, one-key entry of home and work addresses[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quick and easy access to your most frequently visited addresses/places through a "favorites" list[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Destinations can be entered using Longitude and Latitude coordinates[/FONT]
Simple User-Interface
  • Easy to use interface gets you on the road in seconds
  • Designed for drivers, not computer users
  • Navigating Mode lets you passively follow your position on the map.
  • Looks and feels like a navigation system, not Windows software
  • Large menu buttons give you instant access to all of CoPilot Truck's capabilities without having to "point and click"
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Large turn arrow indicates direction of next turn[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Easy-to-read text displays turn instructions [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Smart Map" feature automatically zooms in and displays a detailed map as you approach each turn, allowing the driver to get a quick confirmation of the upcoming turn [/FONT]
"Live" Features:
Real-time Communication gives you the peace of mind that comes with always being connected. Live features are optional and are only usable when you have a wireless internet connection on your Laptop.*
  • Text Messages sent from home or office to the vehicle include large, customizable, one-touch response buttons to ensure driver safety.
  • Real-Time Tracking of your travels by friends, family and loved ones over a secure Internet connection.
  • Itinerary Updates including new stops and revised destinations, allow you to coordinate changes to your plans without having to pull over and enter new information.
  • Real time traffic alerts including the option to detour around traffic problems.
* To use Live Features you will need a data service plan through your wireless carrier.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GPS Hardware[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Significantly faster GPS acquisition gets you on your way quickly[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 12-Channel, high performance USB GPS receiver - less than 3" in diameter [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Single cable makes setup quick and easy [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
System requirements:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GPS Laptop 11 Version: Windows ME, 2000, XP, or Vista (32-bit version)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IBM compatible PC (laptop required for in-vehicle navigation) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Processor 1 Ghz or greater[/FONT]
  • DVD Rom drive
  • 256 MB RAM (512 or greater MB RAM recommended)
  • 2 [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GB of available hard disk space [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] USB 2.0 port on your laptop[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A Soundblaster compatible sound card and speaker required for voice technology[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microphone required for voice-recognition to use this feature[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Minimum 800 x 600 resolution[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A GPS receiver (the full versions of this product come with one or you may already have a 3rd party receiver that is NMEA capable which will also work fine.)[/FONT]

people are getting too darn dependant on machines to do the work for you.thats a shameful excuse for taggin a bridge

:1036316054:I agree. What ever happened to an old-fashioned MAP? I have computer programs just like the next guy, but I still carry and look at paper maps (get this - I can actually read and understand the map also). Maybe this guy should go back to basics and approach the bridge S...L...O...W...L...Y. Use supplemental navigation aids as "aids," not the "be all that end all." I guess it wouldn't hurt asking for advice on routes also... Nothing teaches you like "experience." I'll get off of my :soapbox:soap box now...:hide:

if you have this feature on your computer do you think that it makes it ok you ren into the bridge i dont think so. pay the fine!! and heres your sign :duh::cuss:

I like the looks of that copilot software. It's kinda pricey though. I could see how one would get lazy and rely on that all the time. But, even I'm smart enough to know that 98% of the gps units on the market is geared toward cars instead of trucks.

I think for the meantime I will stick to my $20 map.

we have a bridge clearly marked 12'2 both sides of exit ramp 2 at the bottom of the ramp but dang sure enough 5-6 trucks a year get stuck under bridge and its an ongoing joke on the radio everytime one gets stuck.cant these guys read or are they stuck on stupid

Gee wiz I don't get any of this?
If you see the opening isn't big enough for what you are driving,how can you blame any wreaks on a glish in your technology?

we have a bridge clearly marked 12'2 both sides of exit ramp 2 at the bottom of the ramp but dang sure enough 5-6 trucks a year get stuck under bridge and its an ongoing joke on the radio everytime one gets stuck.cant these guys read or are they stuck on stupid

You're not out of Milwaukee, are you? Mitchell Blvd. under I-94 near Miller Park is marked that way and out-of-town drivers still don't believe the sign.:hide::hide: