Trucker of 14 years has first accident with notoriously low KC bridge

• Thread starter Wimberly Patton
  • Start date
W

Wimberly Patton

Screen-Shot-2022-12-02-at-2.30.20-PM-600x348.png

A truck driver got stuck under a notoriously low bridge in Kansas City on Thursday afternoon, making for the first accident of his long career.

The accident happened on December 1st underneath the Independence Avenue Bridge in Kansas City, Missouri.

According to 9 ABC, the bridge has only a 12 foot clearance, a clearly marked height sign, and yellow flashing lights to warn drivers. The trucker was not hurt in the incident, and says he has never had an accident in his 14 year career until the incident.

The city is working with Kansas City Terminal Railroad, which owns the bridge, to install an auditory warning system for truck drivers. The system would consist of plastic tubes installed at a specific height to let drivers know if they will clear the bridge before they reach it. If drivers hit the tubes, they will make a loud noise to warn drivers not to go any further.

You can see the brake lights, but it was too late.

Another crash at the Independence Ave. Bridge. No Injuries.

Happening now. pic.twitter.com/l6oKGBcvIz

— kcpolice (@kcpolice) December 1, 2022

Continue reading...

Screen-Shot-2022-12-02-at-2.30.20-PM-600x348.png

A truck driver got stuck under a notoriously low bridge in Kansas City on Thursday afternoon, making for the first accident of his long career.

The accident happened on December 1st underneath the Independence Avenue Bridge in Kansas City, Missouri.

According to 9 ABC, the bridge has only a 12 foot clearance, a clearly marked height sign, and yellow flashing lights to warn drivers. The trucker was not hurt in the incident, and says he has never had an accident in his 14 year career until the incident.

The city is working with Kansas City Terminal Railroad, which owns the bridge, to install an auditory warning system for truck drivers. The system would consist of plastic tubes installed at a specific height to let drivers know if they will clear the bridge before they reach it. If drivers hit the tubes, they will make a loud noise to warn drivers not to go any further.

Continue reading...
Ted didn’t learn too much then in his first 14 years. Must of flunked GPS school

And if they put up the plastic tubes, some would ignore them too. Gotta follow that GPS.
I found a guy with his big sleeper and 53 on a back road on my way home last night.
Said he was listening to some kind of trucker something or other GPS thing and ended up on our hills in the woods with "No 102 wide nor Trailers over 45' signs" everywhere. He was deep into it and it only gets worse the farther you go. Woods. Hills. Curves. Ski area. No mountains but pretty good hills. Towns with cops on high alert for big trucks who get lost and violate the signs. Looking for big trucker fine money.

They get stuck all the time.

He was sitting there terrified. In the dark.
I said follow me.
I took him to a customer with a yard big enough to turn and asked if he'd like to risk hungry police ahead or if he feels like he can make the turns the opposite way and go back where he came from. He said he's not confident he can make the turns the opposite way. So we got lucky and the cops weren't around. I got him out to the legal double yellow line roads and his GPS finally led him out. He passed me and I followed. It still took him the wrong way which I wouldn't take. I followed him until I knew he was gonna be ok.

Double Yellow lines used to be legal.
They changed that, in the last few recent years, which is why I complain about our trailer change.
If ya don't get stuck, ya might have to scrape trees above and on trailer sides. Or might crush trailer.. if you violate the sign...you'll be blamed. Or you can get caught by cops and pay big fines.
Or else you must constantly take very time consuming routes.

Last edited: