Trucker was killed at a weigh station on I-270 in Maryland,trying to ajust his brakes.

The report said the driver didn't set the park brakes. There is no way to adjust the slack adjusters with the spring brakes not released. The proper way would be to put blocks in front & rear of at least two wheels/tires to avoid rolling if there was not a steep grade. The tractor engine could have been shut off & then parked in gear also but there is a risk of slipping out of gear.
I knew a driver several years ago who parked on a steep hill in a parking lot & tied the hand brake lever down with a strap to check something. You guessed it, the strap slipped off & he watched the set roll down the hill. Luckily everybody in the path saw the rig coming & got out of the way. I don't remember if the driver had to ride a bus home but he kept his job.

It SUCKS when Drivers get Killed through their own NOT THINKING IT THROUGH actions.
- - - -
-->Like others have mentioned:
I USED TO adjust Brakes on A TRACTOR I drove in 2000 for a Flatbed Company in So. Car. I LOCKED the Brakes on the Loaded or Empty TRAILER. I carried a Creeper.
The Company Mechanics SHOWED US DRIVERS during Orientation how to do adjustments. With the MANY HEAVY LOADS we hauled usually being 40,000 pound Coils or two 20,000 pounders, I was adjusting MY Brakes EVERY WEEK and had other Company Drivers asking me to adjust theirs.<--

It SUCKS when Drivers get Killed through their own NOT THINKING IT THROUGH actions.
- - - -
-->Like others have mentioned:
I USED TO adjust Brakes on A TRACTOR I drove in 2000 for a Flatbed Company in So. Car. I LOCKED the Brakes on the Loaded or Empty TRAILER. I carried a Creeper.
The Company Mechanics SHOWED US DRIVERS during Orientation how to do adjustments. With the MANY HEAVY LOADS we hauled usually being 40,000 pound Coils or two 20,000 pounders, I was adjusting MY Brakes EVERY WEEK and had other Company Drivers asking me to adjust theirs.<--

You should have never had to buy coffee after helping all of the drivers.

This is another preventable senseless tragedy. I know the rules and laws, as we all do, but this O/O didn't even have a load on. They could have said...Driver, your brakes are a little out of adj. You need to adjust them as soon as you can. I wonder how they felt after he was crushed ?. Look at Mr. Hobb's outfit, that is not a Tractor and flatbed in disarray by any stretch of the imagination ! RIP with Our Lord James Lee Hobbs.