Trucking company histories from the 1930’s

iwahstore

TB Lurker
Credits
in the early days of trucking, even prior to being regulated by the Interstate Commerce Commission, common carriers numbered in the thousands and many were one truck operations connecting just one or two cities. Roads were rather primitive so many carriers were in just one or two adjoining states. There were a handful of large truckers that had been merged together from several small firms. Many of these companies you may not have ever heard of, but as they continued to buy out additional carriers for connecting routes, they became the names that became established as the great trucking companies that were left behind in deregulation.

For the past several years I have been writing a blog to preserve the history of those trucking companies that were big and mighty in their time. The blog is called lessthantruckloadhistory and can be found here www.lessthantruckloadhistory.wordpress.com

My sources are ICC Reports, old newspaper articles, Motor Freight guides and city directories. I try to search back into the 1930’s to provide as many smaller companies as possible and show their history and growth into more familiar names. Take a look at my blog and let me know your comments. The information is varied and very researched. I hope you can find something of interest.

Ed Craddock

in the early days of trucking, even prior to being regulated by the Interstate Commerce Commission, common carriers numbered in the thousands and many were one truck operations connecting just one or two cities. Roads were rather primitive so many carriers were in just one or two adjoining states. There were a handful of large truckers that had been merged together from several small firms. Many of these companies you may not have ever heard of, but as they continued to buy out additional carriers for connecting routes, they became the names that became established as the great trucking companies that were left behind in deregulation.

For the past several years I have been writing a blog to preserve the history of those trucking companies that were big and mighty in their time. The blog is called lessthantruckloadhistory and can be found here www.lessthantruckloadhistory.wordpress.com

My sources are ICC Reports, old newspaper articles, Motor Freight guides and city directories. I try to search back into the 1930’s to provide as many smaller companies as possible and show their history and growth into more familiar names. Take a look at my blog and let me know your comments. The information is varied and very researched. I hope you can find something of interest.

Ed Craddoc

Very interesting . I would love to see some one do it based on Canadian Carriers . In the mean time I will continue following your blog .

Today my blog surpassed 10,000 hits from readers! A huge THANKS because the only promotion I do for the blog is a mention a few times on this forum. For those who are frequent visitors to lessthantruckloadhistory.wordpress.com you know I present history of trucking companies during the period of regulation between 1935 and 1980. I am currently working on presenting articles about trucking in the following cities during the 1940’s: Louisville, Kentucky, Akron Ohio, and Newark, New Jersey. Again, thank you!