Trucking decline

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
Ive heard several podcasts and you tube channels talking about the decline in the trucking industry. Is it really this bad and is this what will pave the way for self driving trucks? I hope they are wrong and that this is not the end of peoples careers because of corporate greed.

We will see autonomous trucks in some manner. Most likely in longhaul moves. Highly doubt it in P&D work.
There is a freight recession, as always it will change and volume will build up again...
The odd thing is in LTL it is busy. Perhaps artificially with the killing of Yellow by the teamster union. Regardless profits are good and capacity is tight.

We will see autonomous trucks in some manner. Most likely in longhaul moves. Highly doubt it in P&D work.
There is a freight recession, as always it will change and volume will build up again...
The odd thing is in LTL it is busy. Perhaps artificially with the killing of Yellow by the teamster union. Regardless profits are good and capacity is tight.
Basically, a Heroin shot of freight the crash is coming 2008 again interest rates killing economy.

Ive heard several podcasts and you tube channels talking about the decline in the trucking industry. Is it really this bad and is this what will pave the way for self driving trucks? I hope they are wrong and that this is not the end of peoples careers because of corporate greed.
The truckload industry is a prime example of how this business has gone downhill. Look at how many immigrant owned, and immigrant drivers are out there now. Cheap rates, and cheap drivers.

The truckload industry is a prime example of how this business has gone downhill. Look at how many immigrant owned, and immigrant drivers are out there now. Cheap rates, and cheap drivers.
Agree. Use to be in the construction business back in the 80s and could make some decent money. Almost every place in the trade started hiring migrant workers and look today what we have 80 % or more of the construction trade has migrant workers working for less than an American and most have no benefits and speak no english except their supervisor. The construction trade pretty much taking over and trucking is headed the same direction.

When I started in 80's it was the easiest thing evah. 2500 promissary note to school. Sign. Show up weekends and learn enough to pass Class A (Pre CDL) at the DMV. Done. My first trucking employer greeted me at door, showed me company driver room, put me with driver for a 20 mile drive (Road Test) and I was hired when we got back based on his say so. Records were not much, just high school diploma, Driving school location and Class A thats it. I had my first load with trainer due 300 AM start time the following morning. Done. Employed. Paid that friday.

Payroll that week came out to 540 dollars net after deductions. That was average each week working 17 hour days including driving locally. Home just long enough to sleep a little, clean up, eat and drive back before sunrise and do it again. And again and again. Three months I had made net 7000 dollars and was on track net 35 to 40K that first year if not more. It rained money that year in my life. My bank people were elbowing each other looking at my deposits and carefree happy attitude compared to my 3.35 a hour minimum wage friends trapped in :shit:jobs crying about the rent or whatever.

Thats trucking. No computers, no nothing. If the Mack stayed traction on that ice and snow? Great. Three feet deep No problem get going.

Fast foward to today. Computer crap trucks that spin drives on the dew inside a flat dock. Bosses micromanging the ::shit:: out of you. Clearing house on your ass, enforcement with star wars scale houses coming and going. Lawmen up your ass, doctors cramming CPAP on your mouth. on and on and on and on.

7000 dollars to get a CDL A for school, fees and every little thing up and down. Takes you weeks if not months. Training with trucking company after is several weeks to months of bullshit teaming learning how to not comply with all this overbearing evolving enforcement stuff up and down. You have cameras that will autofine for everything. Snort smoke in NYC get tickets. Idle too much in -20 get punished. Swerve just a little get pulled into saftey. Brake too hard and bosses wail then howl for your head. on and on and on.

And the driver quality? Really bad. I dont want to be around any 18 wheeler ever.

And robot trucks? Battery Trucks? Not my problem anymore. Im out. HOORAY. And you ask about the state of Trucking? I laugh.

When I started in 80's it was the easiest thing evah. 2500 promissary note to school. Sign. Show up weekends and learn enough to pass Class A (Pre CDL) at the DMV. Done. My first trucking employer greeted me at door, showed me company driver room, put me with driver for a 20 mile drive (Road Test) and I was hired when we got back based on his say so. Records were not much, just high school diploma, Driving school location and Class A thats it. I had my first load with trainer due 300 AM start time the following morning. Done. Employed. Paid that friday.

Payroll that week came out to 540 dollars net after deductions. That was average each week working 17 hour days including driving locally. Home just long enough to sleep a little, clean up, eat and drive back before sunrise and do it again. And again and again. Three months I had made net 7000 dollars and was on track net 35 to 40K that first year if not more. It rained money that year in my life. My bank people were elbowing each other looking at my deposits and carefree happy attitude compared to my 3.35 a hour minimum wage friends trapped in :::shit:::jobs crying about the rent or whatever.

Thats trucking. No computers, no nothing. If the Mack stayed traction on that ice and snow? Great. Three feet deep No problem get going.

Fast foward to today. Computer crap trucks that spin drives on the dew inside a flat dock. Bosses micromanging the ::::shit:::: out of you. Clearing house on your ass, enforcement with star war
They gave manufacturing away and came up with this new way to make an economy which is everybody taking as much as they can from every industry left.
Simple industry now produces lots of jobs and other industries which really aren't necessary.

Everybody taking what they can from it....and nobody, but the banks loaning all the businesses and students money, is making any money.
Total sham waste economic system.
Phony.

Play this in "shorts"......and illustrates the racket.....let it keep playing over and over for the real affect
The driver is the only one paying for it all....totally under the microscope and constantly taking the cuts nor making what he should
I bet it feels similar to the USSR before it fell. Everything seeking perfection and constantly under the thumb and threat.