Trucking Terminology Question

AllTruckedUp

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello all, I am an OIF vet looking to get into a real man's job. :courage: I am trying to decide between having a company pay for my CDL or paying for it myself (a school is right down the road and you always, always end up paying somehow..)

That's not my question though. I am doing my homework on some of the ways drivers find jobs. I've seen many of the load boards and such, but I am wondering if there is a term for a temp driver. What I mean is there a way to look for jobs where someone needs to you to drive their truck and load, one time on a route, and that's it. Sort of part time/temp work for an independent driver who doesn't have a truck. Am I making any sense?

I have tried to google... but if you type anything with the words "truck" and "driver", you get fifteen pages of ads saying "Our Drivers make $700k a year!" or "Pet and Mistress friendly trucks!"

As I've recommend before to others here once you get your cdl-A
Start a application on tenstreet.com or get the smartphone AP
[ Be very honest with the questions because some if most are very thorough checking the information ]
It's nation wide and gives you all the options possible in trucking

Hello all, I am an OIF vet looking to get into a real man's job. :courage: I am trying to decide between having a company pay for my CDL or paying for it myself (a school is right down the road and you always, always end up paying somehow..)

That's not my question though. I am doing my homework on some of the ways drivers find jobs. I've seen many of the load boards and such, but I am wondering if there is a term for a temp driver. What I mean is there a way to look for jobs where someone needs to you to drive their truck and load, one time on a route, and that's it. Sort of part time/temp work for an independent driver who doesn't have a truck. Am I making any sense?

I have tried to google... but if you type anything with the words "truck" and "driver", you get fifteen pages of ads saying "Our Drivers make $700k a year!" or "Pet and Mistress friendly trucks!"
you make sense, but it doesn't always work that way. i had about 25 years of experience, (at that time) and when i did, i applied to a whole bunch of temp services for part time, weekend work.

nearly ALL temp agencies REQUIRE 1 to 5 years experience.

maybe now, like anything else, that has dropped down to student driver, BUT the temp agency has to carry insurance on you, and i do believe like any trucking company, for a newbie, that cost will be sky high.

best to suck up the time, and go on the road for at least ONE FULL YEAR, to give you 4 seasons of driving...THEN apply for what you want.

very best of luck to you!!

you make sense, but it doesn't always work that way. i had about 25 years of experience, (at that time) and when i did, i applied to a whole bunch of temp services for part time, weekend work.

nearly ALL temp agencies REQUIRE 1 to 5 years experience.

maybe now, like anything else, that has dropped down to student driver, BUT the temp agency has to carry insurance on you, and i do believe like any trucking company, for a newbie, that cost will be sky high.

best to suck up the time, and go on the road for at least ONE FULL YEAR, to give you 4 seasons of driving...THEN apply for what you want.

very best of luck to you!!
Thanks! This is more or less what I am looking for. Makes sense to put in some time first. But good to know that once I have been trained, been mentored, and have some years experience, that there temp jobs out there for a remainder of my career.

Where are you located? The company I drive for runs an in house school. After completion just have to stay for 1 year

GREETINGS AllTruckedUp and WELCOME to TruckingBoards!!
(seems clear [apart from me] no one anymore does that)

Driver Leasing Services are simply another name for Truck Driver Temp Service(s) and REQUIRE at least 1 YEAR VERIFIABLE EXPERIENCE. Their INSURANCE will not allow less than a minimum of ONE YEAR EXPERIENCE and that's WITHOUT any major D.O.T. Reportable Violations or "Safety Awards" as they're known.

I had 5.8 years O.T.R. when I applied to a local Driver Temp (Leasing) Service. That was in mid '17. I'm still with the company.
There ARE PLENTY of such Trucking Companies that utilize Driver Temp. Services for anywhere from a minimum of 8 hours a day up to 3 weeks O.T.R. if that's ones' choosing, so yes, get at least one year O.T.R. THEN do some digging in.
There are 5 known Driver Work Services in the Triad (and close by) in NC.

Who knows, you may just want to stay O.T.R. longer than a year or you might become a Owner Operator/Owner Driver.
Just DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING WITH "LEASE TO OWN" until AFTER the first Year. You'll thank me later.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE!!
CHEERS!!

Wow! This is some great info. I can see the consensus is to spend a minimum 1 year OTR before I look at the other options.

Thanks for the welcome and for the tip about avoiding an early lease to own. You know, I DID see an offer like that for new drivers. I thought that with all the things that can go wrong with a lease, what kind of company would offer that to an inexperienced person?

I am all the way up on along the northern shores of Ohio. Near where LeBron used to work.

Wow! This is some great info. I can see the consensus is to spend a minimum 1 year OTR before I look at the other options.

Thanks for the welcome and for the tip about avoiding an early lease to own. You know, I DID see an offer like that for new drivers. I thought that with all the things that can go wrong with a lease, what kind of company would offer that to an inexperienced person?

I am all the way up on along the northern shores of Ohio. Near where LeBron used to work.
Ok, All trucked. My outfit has a terminal in Streetsboro. If you want some general info on their in house program, message me.
  • BTW Thought LeBron was from the Akron area??
  • Oh My mistake, you said work

What did you say you do now? Don’t quit doing it to go OTR. If you see me posting on here in 2 years, thank me then....

Most of the Big Names have such after Orientations. They do get quite many VICTIMS some who quickly realize (after their money/credit is gone) what a horrible mistake they made.
>>I was NOT one of them!! I watched Owner Ops as well worked for a few to realize that Owning a Truck wasn't for me<<

Northern Shores of Ohio = Michigan?.....Pennsylvania?

CHEERS!!