Turning Down Our Tractors

Credits
Well, I guess the soaring fuel prices have finally caught up to us here at WARD. Just got word that as of Monday the company will begin turning all power units back to 64MPH from the already existing 68MPH. Any thoughts guys? I have heard many different opinions from "The truck will now be working twice as hard when pulling and you will use even more fuel doing that" to "If the truck is set from 64-68 you will get almost the exact same fuel mileage". I just get the feeling that they will try this little experiment and after a short period of time may end up turning them right back up again after seeing that they really aren't saving what they thought they might in fuel costs as well as the "Late Freight" problem to deal with as well. I know a few other companies have recently tried this as well and after a very short period of time ended up turning the trucks right back up to where they were originally set? Let me know!

driver80, They must have shorted you all up north. In VA all the Wards I see must be set at 70-72. They pass me pretty good being set at 68. But they are sure clean. I posted on the Averitt site that last week for the first time in two years I passed Estes and OD. Willing to bet more companies are headed this way.

They started turning our trucks back to 65 here at estes also. We have a couple of the older s series internationals here at our terminal that apparently were reprogrammed with the wrong gear ratio because now the speedometer is off by about 10%. It registers 55 and your actually doing over 65.

The road drivers don't mind, but the city drivers hate it because it cuts your driving miles for the day thus affecting their daily production numbers.

Save lives and save fuel! were looking at a greener and safer world....besides tick-tock-tick-tock aren't you on the clock????

thumbsupje5.gif

Pitt turned there's back a couple months ago..(at least it feels like it) I get an extra mile a gallon. gets frustrating some times trying to get around some one. so you learn to set cruise control and sit back

i think its great now my company who was always slow can pass estes ward pitt conway this is sooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllll just kidding

OD turned them down to65 in late may it adds 30 to 40 minutes to my day[have a 648 mi.turn] I save 4to8 gallons of fuel per trip worth it when fuel was $4.50 a gal. not sure at $1.85.