Type 2 Diabetes and Trucking

Excellent thread. I’ve had type II for 30 years. When first diagnosed I worked out every day, ate stir fry, lot’s of vegetables and beef or pork, breakfast was a slice of toast, grapefruit. My blood sugar went so low that I passed out behind the wheel of my milk tanker and ended up in the middle of the desert alongside I-40 east of Phoenix. Thank God the tanker was empty, on my way to the farm. It was a hyperglycemic coma. I woke up in the hospital. I was off 6 months and Shamrock paid everything including my normal wage. Moral is, check your sugar whether the finger poke or Dexcom. Thank goodness no one else was hit or hurt. They said I was all over the road.

Jeff, thanks for the listing of food. I’m going to try and find that bread or something similar. My wife is diabetic also. My sugar is up last doctor visit, so I’m going to get food according to the list. I drink lots of water.
i got the results of my A1c and it was 7.8, up from 7.0, like 9 months ago.

i went off my snacking, and over indulged.....so i know what i gotta do.

i buy Sara lee Honey wheat bread....it is actually better tasting than ordinary wheat bread, which is worse than a Dominos cardboard box.

also, i have been having issues with plantar fasciitis(sp??) and walking daily hurts like the dickens.

so no walking for several months, then of course the icy cold temps of winter hit us.

this is a "cycle" i go thru every so often, my A1c will be at or slightly below 7.0, or just under 8.0

as i think i have said earlier in this thread, smaller meals, and a snack in between meals to cut down on the hunger, so that i don't over eat at any meal time.

i ain't about to count calories, carbs, steps in my walking, etc,etc......

i live for me, not for diabetes to tell me what to do.

i got the results of my A1c and it was 7.8, up from 7.0, like 9 months ago.

i went off my snacking, and over indulged.....so i know what i gotta do.

i buy Sara lee Honey wheat bread....it is actually better tasting than ordinary wheat bread, which is worse than a Dominos cardboard box.

also, i have been having issues with plantar fasciitis(sp??) and walking daily hurts like the dickens.

so no walking for several months, then of course the icy cold temps of winter hit us.

this is a "cycle" i go thru every so often, my A1c will be at or slightly below 7.0, or just under 8.0

as i think i have said earlier in this thread, smaller meals, and a snack in between meals to cut down on the hunger, so that i don't over eat at any meal time.

i ain't about to count calories, carbs, steps in my walking, etc,etc......

i live for me, not for diabetes to tell me what to do.
Exactly, I tried counting, looking and shopping. The best thing is to eat the vegetables, salad with either crab or shrimp in it, no salad dressing, just lemon juice. I use olive oil and apple cider vinegar on salads. I have drank vinegar before. There’s some other herbs and foods that counteract diabetes. I’ll have to look them up and post them. But sourdough bread with liver wurst and kraut are my weakness along with homemade smoked sausage.

Exactly, I tried counting, looking and shopping. The best thing is to eat the vegetables, salad with either crab or shrimp in it, no salad dressing, just lemon juice. I use olive oil and apple cider vinegar on salads. I have drank vinegar before. There’s some other herbs and foods that counteract diabetes. I’ll have to look them up and post them. But sourdough bread with liver wurst and kraut are my weakness along with homemade smoked sausage.
i said, "screw it" several years ago.

i have been to 2 dieticians.

BOTH via my primary.

1 was at a medical building, the other has her office inside my primary's office.

yadda, yadda, yadda, add lettuce, tomato's, fruits, veggies, yadda,yadda, yadda..

they think i have Carte Blanc at all the grocery stores. i even spoke up, "what do you think, i got a wallet full of money, have YOU SEEN the prices on fruits, and veggies, that YOU WANT ME TO EAT every day..??"

"i ain't rich, i gotta work for a living"...

somehow, they ""dummied up", when i spoke up.

so i eat WHAT I WANT, just smaller portions and do not eat too many sweets, especially candy, which I LOVE Milky Way, Snickers, etc,etc.....

if i have any of those..??

i get the bite sized, which the American Diabetes Association said, WE CAN HAVE, but only 1..........maybe once a week...!!!!!

so i live for me....if i were to count this, count that, weigh this, weigh that........i'd go batty....

and that ain't about to happen

i got too much in my life to take care of besides my diabetes, and worrying.

Do your best , you know how you feel and what is not good for you .
one time, when my A1C was like nearing 8....i told my doctor that YES, i do have a before bed time snack, usually a cup of tea, and a Devil Dog...

he said, "well, that Devil Dog is sugary"

yes i said, but, if i do not have that as a snack, i wake up about 1 AM, sweating profusely, and shaky and near dizziness, and i check my blood sugar.

it is than as low as 50, which can lead to a diabetic coma.....while i am sleeping..>!!!!

at least this way, my bedtime snack, keeps my sugar level above 100 when i wake up,,,,,,,,,and yes, i do wake up, although i hate waking up still to this day at about 4AM.....!!!!!!!!

my doctor knows of the consequences of low blood sugar..........he was concerned about the A1C as well...

but no other "snack" can get me through the night like those Devil Dogs.

If the blood sugar glucose continues to drop, the brain does not get enough glucose and stops functioning as it should. This can lead to blurred vision, difficulty concentrating, confused thinking, slurred speech, numbness, and drowsiness. If blood glucose stays low for too long, starving the brain of glucose, it may lead to seizures, coma, and very rarely death.

and in case anyone doesn't know what a Devil Dogs is.......

i said, "screw it" several years ago.

i have been to 2 dieticians.

BOTH via my primary.

1 was at a medical building, the other has her office inside my primary's office.

yadda, yadda, yadda, add lettuce, tomato's, fruits, veggies, yadda,yadda, yadda..

they think i have Carte Blanc at all the grocery stores. i even spoke up, "what do you think, i got a wallet full of money, have YOU SEEN the prices on fruits, and veggies, that YOU WANT ME TO EAT every day..??"

"i ain't rich, i gotta work for a living"...

somehow, they ""dummied up", when i spoke up.

so i eat WHAT I WANT, just smaller portions and do not eat too many sweets, especially candy, which I LOVE Milky Way, Snickers, etc,etc.....

if i have any of those..??

i get the bite sized, which the American Diabetes Association said, WE CAN HAVE, but only 1..........maybe once a week...!!!!!

so i live for me....if i were to count this, count that, weigh this, weigh that........i'd go batty....

and that ain't about to happen

i got too much in my life to take care of besides my diabetes, and worrying.
I don’t know where you live, but if there’s any farms that sells produce go stock up on fruits and vegetables from them. Much of the produce can be canned or frozen, it’s fresh and a lot cheaper.

I don’t know where you live, but if there’s any farms that sells produce go stock up on fruits and vegetables from them. Much of the produce can be canned or frozen, it’s fresh and a lot cheaper.
actually last summer/fall, we did go to several vegetable stands AT the farms and believe it or not, the prices were as high as the stores......they ain't giving that stuff away no more.

actually last summer/fall, we did go to several vegetable stands AT the farms and believe it or not, the prices were as high as the stores......they ain't giving that stuff away no more.
That's true.. Farm Stands are expensive in most areas...

Where I'm at the local markets are the cheapest alternative...and have fresher produce...

Last edited:
This thread has been very informative. My wife's brother & sister are both type 1. My brother in law has had it for 45 years. He has managed it very well & is in good health today. He is a very intelligent person, (high IQ & common sense), & a model diabetic patient for his doc. Her sis is a registered nurse & has in the past not followed guidelines.

This thread has been very informative. My wife's brother & sister are both type 1. My brother in law has had it for 45 years. He has managed it very well & is in good health today. He is a very intelligent person, (high IQ & common sense), & a model diabetic patient for his doc. Her sis is a registered nurse & has in the past not followed guidelines.
Im learning... its a struggle to change old habits and food addictions.......

I heard an older person say a while back that more people than ever have diabetes. That may be true but there is also more testing for diabetes than years ago. I wonder how many died from diabetes complications over the years not knowing they were diabetic.
The same has been said about dementia. I remember people when I was younger that probably had dementia of some form & were referred to as "Just lost their mind".

there is also more testing for diabetes than years ago. I wonder how many died from diabetes complications over the years not knowing they were diabetic.
Very true...plus there are more people in general to...
I'm sure a lot of deaths were from diabetic complications...but we will never know the true extent of it... probably a lot of people still die and don't know ...

Good point about dementia too

I heard an older person say a while back that more people than ever have diabetes. That may be true but there is also more testing for diabetes than years ago. I wonder how many died from diabetes complications over the years not knowing they were diabetic.
The same has been said about dementia. I remember people when I was younger that probably had dementia of some form & were referred to as "Just lost their mind".
my grand dad (mothers side) had diabetes real bad, but he was old at the time, and well into his eating habits. pasta nearly every night, with bread....:17113:

he over time lost some of his toes.

diabetics back in "the old days" had little information other than DO NOT EAT SWEETS.

little was known that corn on the cob (or canned corn) has as much carbs in it, as a loaf of bread, pasta, potatoes.

so eating high carb foods, was just as much to blame as all the sweets.

but, too there weren't that many dieticians then, as there are now, and the lab testing for carbs

at an older age, we are "fixed" and "settled" into our ways, so adjustments are indeed difficult.

soooooo........moderation comes into play. cutting back on not so much portions, but "helpings" at the dinner or buffet tables..!!

adding more salads which have zero calories and i was told are "free foods", will fill you up faster, and makes you eat less of the carb, and calorie foods.

it's another learning process, and at our ages, dang, we just don't wanna do no more learnin'

napping is more important to many of us.....i know....i feel a nap coming on now.......

12 PM to 1PM, is my drowsy eye time......after being awake since about 4 AM....