ABF | Ue Back To 4-10’s

GO40

TB Legend
Credits
Guess the finally realized how much overtime was being paid out for freight to sit all weekend....

Guess the finally realized how much overtime was being paid out for freight to sit all weekend....
We have two at our terminal and both were pretty unhappy. I’d be doing cartwheels if I had three days off a week. They both like the overtime I guess.

We have two at our terminal and both were pretty unhappy. I’d be doing cartwheels if I had three days off a week. They both like the overtime I guess.
Ours are going back I two weeks....nobody at my place was happy with 5 —8+

Ours are going back I two weeks....nobody at my place was happy with 5 —8+
Our two guys average 11 hours a day. They will be going from 23 hours of overtime to 8. That’s one hell of a pay cut!

Last edited:
When I was steward, I had raised the issue about working “consistently more than 10 hours a Day” as per the contract. I was thinking of the safety issue of having a guy pushing almost 60 hours a week.

At that time, we had only one UE run,.......and the guy running it was highly incensed that I was going to cut his potential “gravy train” when the company switched to 5-8’s from 4-10’s....by questioning the excessive overtime..

I reminded him that, whichever condition we accepted,.......the UE bid.....WHOEVER was on it,.....would be jammed down our collective throats.....and that many guys preferred time with their families, instead of about 19 hours of.....mandatory overtime every week.

The matter came to a head the week he took vacation, and the bottom seniority man was forced onto the UE bid,........as per contract......and worked four 14 hour days.

He refused to go out Friday, the fifth day of the bid........he was almost out of hours anyway......UE is on the city board....60 hours a week max...

Company was forced to use line haul to cover......and wanted to fire the guy for a “deliberate work slowdown”......

However, it was proved that the guy who held the UE bid.......routinely had 14 hour days.......when the bid was 4-10’s....
For some reason,......when the bid went to 5-8’s.......he only had 12 hour days.......for the same Dayton turn! Sonofagun!

Company dropped talk of firing bottom man forced on UE,.......and always used linehaul on Friday, anytime he took vacation week, and the company forced bottom man to cover UE bid.

When I was steward, I had raised the issue about working “consistently more than 10 hours a Day” as per the contract. I was thinking of the safety issue of having a guy pushing almost 60 hours a week.

At that time, we had only one UE run,.......and the guy running it was highly incensed that I was going to cut his potential “gravy train” when the company switched to 5-8’s from 4-10’s....by questioning the excessive overtime..

I reminded him that, whichever condition we accepted,.......the UE bid.....WHOEVER was on it,.....would be jammed down our collective throats.....and that many guys preferred time with their families, instead of about 19 hours of.....mandatory overtime every week.

The matter came to a head the week he took vacation, and the bottom seniority man was forced onto the UE bid,........as per contract......and worked four 14 hour days.

He refused to go out Friday, the fifth day of the bid........he was almost out of hours anyway......UE is on the city board....60 hours a week max...

Company was forced to use line haul to cover......and wanted to fire the guy for a “deliberate work slowdown”......

However, it was proved that the guy who held the UE bid.......routinely had 14 hour days.......when the bid was 4-10’s....
For some reason,......when the bid went to 5-8’s.......he only had 12 hour days.......for the same Dayton turn! Sonofagun!

Company dropped talk of firing bottom man forced on UE,.......and always used linehaul on Friday, anytime he took vacation week, and the company forced bottom man to cover UE bid.
I think they switched to the 5-8's because they could not find any qualified drivers, so they abused the drivers they had....

I wish you were my Shop Steward, canary. I did the UE run (5-8’s) for a time at my old terminal and it was just as you said....LOTS of (unwanted) OT, yet our ‘shop steward’ (in name only) never lifted a finger to address the issue despite repeated violations of the Excessive Overtime language in the contract. Why?? Because it didn’t effect...him. No harm to him, no foul...right?

71944434_2676634939015747_544933025176092672_n.jpg

I think they switched to the 5-8's because they could not find any qualified drivers, so they abused the drivers they had....
Agree. Talk about being horse-whipped. I’d come back after the UE run and, lo and behold, there’s an 8-stop liftgate run waiting for me. “Oh...you signed the Excessive Overtime sheet? Sorry, this freight is due today.”

I was the steward at Greensburg, Pa. There have been many changes since I retired. We USED to have three GBG-310 employees assisting the UE guys on the dock, and jockeying....
After I retired, they cut that down to one,....and he doesn't start until 4:00 AM. Seniority board got cut........They've gone through about 6 or so new-hires that didn't last......

Six months before I retired, a COO eliminated our last UE run. We USED to have two,...with talk of potential road runs being assigned to GBG.

That talk is gone now........

We USED to have a flatbed for Relo-Cubes, too.....They yanked that out four years ago......In spite of the fact that we covered the four county area between Pittsburgh and Altoona,....both of which still have their Relo-Cube operations.....

D'ya think they're trying to........strangle GBG to death? Since 2014, 4 guys have retired, one guy has died,....and within 6 months another guy will retire,...with at least two more potentially close enough. This is on an..(originally..)....11 man board.

Down to 7,...and they can't hang onto any new-hire,...apparently.