ABF | UE/Linehaul

Yes, the KW"s had problems front to rear. The PACCAR engine gave problems, emission systems & wiring/electrical. There will be no more KW"s at ABF. Mack builds a better tractor. KW & Pete are not what they once were.
while your right about them not being what they once were. the fact ABF bought the cheapest ones they made and were not designed for the way we used them!!! Like everything else you get what you pay for. Question since I retired and no longer run into UPS drivers, are they having the same problems? They always seem to get a level or two up in their tractors.

while your right about them not being what they once were. the fact ABF bought the cheapest ones they made and were not designed for the way we used them!!! Like everything else you get what you pay for. Question since I retired and no longer run into UPS drivers, are they having the same problems? They always seem to get a level or two up in their tractors.
There was a lot of trouble early on with ELD software. For some reason the software was not installed at the time of manufacture, it was installed by MHC & it took a while for them to work it out.

You're right, the way these companies spec out a truck is a disgrace.
We had a fleet of Brigadiers with a speedometer and air gauge only, nothing more.
Carolina Freight's Louisvilles had a much better steering than ours.
They know how to screw up a good truck.

I agree with you Triplex. We got Volvos for one year (I think) back in the mid 2000’s. Those were my favorite ones that we have had so far.
Too bad you never drove a good truck, like an 86 Freightliner like C F and PIE ran, or a Louisville.
A man should be shot with crap and killed for stinking for building a Volvo like PIE got from ABF.

Just my opinion. I’m not so sure about adding UE due to a possible rail strike.
With so many drivers needed in the states, as it is, I would be surprised if ABF would want to rock the boat

S.O.R. … I pay 0 a week with a $2500 deductible.
You are only quoting the family weekly payment when spouse does not have health insurance available from their employer. O.D. also offers a $10 a week with $500 deductible for guys like me. My kids are under my wife’s just like I used to be when I was self employed.

401k match with profit sharing was around 12 k for me this year and I believe that you have to put at least 6% in and I’m not positive but I believe that they only match 3% on every dollar we put in.

Also, I just hit 100k and haven’t gotten a paycheck in December yet. Worked 0 Saturday starts and worked 0 Sunday starts this year. Not full pay O.D. payscale yet either.

Not trying to start a union/non-union debate, just trying to show that the numbers are real variable depending on which scenario you are looking at. I am a linehaul driver and do work night shift.

Also, I just want to point out that you guys at ABF do pay for your own health insurance too.

You trade hours of labor to trade for it, union or not.

If you don’t believe me, ask yourself if you still have it the month after a layoff. What if you get in a wreck and get hurt real bad in your personal vehicle on your own time and miss a year of work? How long does your health insurance stay paid up in an unfortunate situation like that?

Just curious here, not trying to be a jerk.

Also, I just want to point out that you guys at ABF do pay for your own health insurance too.

You trade hours of labor to trade for it, union or not.

If you don’t believe me, ask yourself if you still have it the month after a layoff. What if you get in a wreck and get hurt real bad in your personal vehicle on your own time and miss a year of work? How long does your health insurance stay paid up in an unfortunate situation like that?

Just curious here, not trying to be a jerk.
6-months if injured or sick off the job. 1-year if injured on the job. You’re right about the layoff though. Gotta have three clock punches in a work week for insurance that week. Otherwise, no insurance or Cobra payments. That being said, we have not had a layoff in over 12-years here at the Rock. At least not in the city/dock classification.

6-months if injured or sick off the job. 1-year if injured on the job. You’re right about the layoff though. Gotta have three clock punches in a work week for insurance that week. Otherwise, no insurance or Cobra payments. That being said, we have not had a layoff in over 12-years here at the Rock. At least not in the city/dock classification.
Thanks. Ltd comes into play after 1 year? Or sooner? Short term disability is enacted in like 6 weeks?

Thanks. Ltd comes into play after 1 year? Or sooner? Short term disability is enacted in like 6 weeks?
Is it true what BillyLo was saying?
Something about OD laying off and cutting insurance at midnight of the day they were laid off. If so, that is sh*tty of OD to do their people like that. I also heard that when you are called back in from layoff, you start over as if you have never worked there. If true, that is sh*tty as well.
Please correct me if this info is incorrect and give us the correct info.

Too bad you never drove a good truck, like an 86 Freightliner like C F and PIE ran, or a Louisville.
A man should be shot with crap and killed for stinking for building a Volvo like PIE got from ABF.
Those were 1986 White/Volvo. They had Cummins engines. The cab & wiring was no good. ABF also bought Internationals that year. The Farmall was better than the White/Volvo. I think they bought 300 of each that year.
We had a fleet of Volvo's in 2001 with Series 60's. That was one of the best frieght trucks the company ever had. I think they bought 600 that year.. Roadway bought several, I think 200 or 300. ABF kept several in the city fleet for quite a few years.

Is it true what BillyLo was saying?
Something about OD laying off and cutting insurance at midnight of the day they were laid off. If so, that is sh*tty of OD to do their people like that. I also heard that when you are called back in from layoff, you start over as if you have never worked there. If true, that is sh*tty as well.
Please correct me if this info is incorrect and give us the correct info.
I am curious as well.

O.D. does economic terminations. No layoffs. Flybynight said they pull files and go from there. I work out of a terminal that hasn’t let anyone go. I can’t say first hand how it goes. Only what I’ve heard or read.

I think as a whole any layoffs or economic terminations are stupid for any employer to do because it jades the whole actual work force. When I ran my own truck I used to haul out of steel mills quite a bit and everyone was in a bad mood and not as productive during layoffs. When I say actual work force I’m speaking of the people who actually do the work, not the ones who sit on an office with climate control and think they do.

As far as health insurance Billy has been around a while and I would think he’d be correct. Does it make it right? No. Also, you’ll never see me defend a company that would treat employees like that. Especially after the record o.r.’s they are bragging about. In my opinion, Old Dominion would be hard to be a city guy for. I always liked P&D better than linehaul but needed the extra money for college tuitions coming up.

Economic termination is firing an employee instead of laying them off. As far as an employee coming back they would be a new hire. I personally wouldn’t darken their doorstep if they economically terminated me. I have posted that I probably would not have even came here had I known that was their thoughts towards the workforce to begin with.

I still have a Peterbilt 379 sitting in my shop that is ready to roll at any given moment. 3 phone calls and a couple emails to get it licensed and insured again. One phone call to Badger Utility and I’ll be pulling a brand new Mac trailer. Times like these sure make it tempting.