ABF | UE/Linehaul

Abfrocks

TB Lurker
Credits
Lots of chat/panic by the doom and bloomers at my barn. They are saying UE is coming back to levels they were before covid and they will be running Linehaul runs at an hourly rate cutting out all road boards doing turns only having a road board for bed runs. Just seeing what anyone else is hearing.

Look at YELLOW. Can’t blame them for worrying. Out west they are making all road drivers into city drivers making everyone a UE essentially. They are breaking down what the union spent so long building. No job classification if you are a UE. You can do everything. I personally will not do a road run for city wages. What keeps ABF from following suit? Nothing is the answer.

I'm sorry I can't bring myself to "like" either post, even though there is a lot of truth there....my problem is with the union allowing it....guy at my barn is taking more than just velocity freight, and not even working the dock down in Carlisle....its major BS

The problem with that is trucking capacity isn't tight anymore.
More than enough drivers and freight lines...
Yes, a strike is better with tight capacity, but the company doesn't think "oh well let them strike, capacity is there for the shippers.". They more than likely say, " Oh Crap we are going to lose a 100 million this quarter if we don't get this fixed! Not to mention my bonus is in peril! We have to fix this!" That being said I think it is a little early for strike talk.

Look at YELLOW. Can’t blame them for worrying. Out west they are making all road drivers into city drivers making everyone a UE essentially. They are breaking down what the union spent so long building. No job classification if you are a UE. You can do everything. I personally will not do a road run for city wages. What keeps ABF from following suit? Nothing is the answer.
I think Abf will be watching the new Yellow use of UE very closely. If they see they can benefit there will be a push to change us to UE unfortunately. But I sure hope not!!!

Yes, a strike is better with tight capacity, but the company doesn't think "oh well let them strike, capacity is there for the shippers.". They more than likely say, " Oh Crap we are going to lose a 100 million this quarter if we don't get this fixed! Not to mention my bonus is in peril! We have to fix this!" That being said I think it is a little early for strike talk.
I can agree with a lot of what your saying.
You also have to understand ABF is putting roughly $12 more an hour for u guys over the nons. And what is the average pay difference... Maybe $6 an hour.
They figure they're already losing that $100 million

I'd like to see that broken down, actually. Can I get some figures? You said it casually like it was a fact, so I'd like some info.
What does ABF make hourly?...26...27...28?
Pension contribution per month when I left was roughly $1200
Health and welfare was roughly $1200.
FedEx is roughly $33 an hour.
Unless I'm totally off ABF is well over $40
A lot of these guys work here...are my figures close or was I thinking H&W and pension combined was 1200 per month 13 years ago?

What does ABF make hourly?...26...27...28?
Pension contribution per month when I left was roughly $1200
Health and welfare was roughly $1200.
FedEx is roughly $33 an hour.
Unless I'm totally off ABF is well over $40
A lot of these guys work here...are my figures close or was I thinking H&W and pension combined was 1200 per month 13 years ago?
Well.

In Columbus, OHIO now

$26.84 hour OT after 8 a day
Pension contribution is $68.50 a day or $342 a week
Health and welfare per week. Between $425-$500 a week
Both of these 100 Percent Company paid

Those 2 benny worth $20 on the hour or real close