ABF | UE/Linehaul

Look at YELLOW. Can’t blame them for worrying. Out west they are making all road drivers into city drivers making everyone a UE essentially. They are breaking down what the union spent so long building. No job classification if you are a UE. You can do everything. I personally will not do a road run for city wages. What keeps ABF from following suit? Nothing is the answer.
I work at yellow in Vegas. Luckily we are linehaul still and not ue

while your right about them not being what they once were. the fact ABF bought the cheapest ones they made and were not designed for the way we used them!!! Like everything else you get what you pay for. Question since I retired and no longer run into UPS drivers, are they having the same problems? They always seem to get a level or two up in their tractors.
Our KW's are quite nice on the road. In the yard, their implementation of automatic transmissions is the singular worst of any manufacturer. You can flutter the pedal all you want, one time in ten it will suddenly decide that you stomped the pedal to the floor and now you're reversing at 20 mph toward your trailer. And there's no predicting when it will happen.

Overall our tractors are very nice, though they're getting a bit old due to the pandemic supply chain issues. I think everyone is dealing with that to some degree these days, though.

O.D. does economic terminations. No layoffs. Flybynight said they pull files and go from there. I work out of a terminal that hasn’t let anyone go. I can’t say first hand how it goes. Only what I’ve heard or read.

I think as a whole any layoffs or economic terminations are stupid for any employer to do because it jades the whole actual work force. When I ran my own truck I used to haul out of steel mills quite a bit and everyone was in a bad mood and not as productive during layoffs. When I say actual work force I’m speaking of the people who actually do the work, not the ones who sit on an office with climate control and think they do.

As far as health insurance Billy has been around a while and I would think he’d be correct. Does it make it right? No. Also, you’ll never see me defend a company that would treat employees like that. Especially after the record o.r.’s they are bragging about. In my opinion, Old Dominion would be hard to be a city guy for. I always liked P&D better than linehaul but needed the extra money for college tuitions coming up.

Economic termination is firing an employee instead of laying them off. As far as an employee coming back they would be a new hire. I personally wouldn’t darken their doorstep if they economically terminated me. I have posted that I probably would not have even came here had I known that was their thoughts towards the workforce to begin with.

I still have a Peterbilt 379 sitting in my shop that is ready to roll at any given moment. 3 phone calls and a couple emails to get it licensed and insured again. One phone call to Badger Utility and I’ll be pulling a brand new Mac trailer. Times like these sure make it tempting.
Yeah, that whole situation dropped OD right off my recommendations list. What is the point of being somewhere long-term if your seniority doesn't mean anything?

What does an OD retirement party look like? A stupid ******* in a MAGA hat with a deep booming voice bragging about how he was a "WEAWWY WEAWWY GOOD BOY" for 30 years? ****ing yuck.

Our KW's are quite nice on the road. In the yard, their implementation of automatic transmissions is the singular worst of any manufacturer. You can flutter the pedal all you want, one time in ten it will suddenly decide that you stomped the pedal to the floor and now you're reversing at 20 mph toward your trailer. And there's no predicting when it will happen.

Overall our tractors are very nice, though they're getting a bit old due to the pandemic supply chain issues. I think everyone is dealing with that to some degree these days, though.
You should have been around back when they had cab-over Macks with either Maxidyne or Uni-shift and no air-ride seats, no A/C, no power steering, etc. But you didn't need gym membership climbing in and out all day. :smile new:

You should have been around back when they had cab-over Macks with either Maxidyne or Uni-shift and no air-ride seats, no A/C, no power steering, etc. But you didn't need gym membership climbing in and out all day. :smile new:
I even go back to the Mono-shift days, and you can tell by my slim physique, I need no gym membership.
Tri, you can see why my belly and the B67 Mack steering wheels were enemies.

If you look at the shadow on the ground it looks like he's aiming a gun at you. Is that how you were forced on a run? :hysterical:
I think we were planning a fishing trip.
He lived next door when I was 5 yrs old.
Our dads and grandpaws hunted and fished together.