Yellow | un-answered question

these are the teamsters I know. We ain't stupid. We do our job to the best of our ability so that the company can make money so that we can keep working. Seems like a simple equation to me. Sh*t happens beyond our control. My job is going to a central "call center". It pisses me off but I understand why the company is doing it. Bad mangement always stinks. But for a company to reduce peoples wages, reduce their health care, and remove their pensions, not to mention take out a lot of the contract wording to best fit them must be hard to swallow. I don't know how I would vote. Best of luck to the people under the YRC umbrella.

Out of the industry for 11 years, but looks like the "industry is still on your mind. If a non union LTL driver gets a LTL union job. Over a period of time, it has been shown that the worker will become "lazy" and "entitled". Why? because the worker always was untrustworthy, and needed a gun to the head to make him do his job. The best Teamsters I knew never needed a gun to the head to do a job. They did the work because they enjoyed it, and were better at it than their non union counterparts who only did the work because they didn't want to be FIRED.

I'm not out of the industry. Still heavily involved in it. The non-union workers aren't working with a gun to their head, metaphorically or otherwise, they are working hard because they know that being better at their job than the next guy will help them when it comes time to promotion, raises, as well as layoffs. While at a Union shop all you need to do is the bare minimum to keep from getting written up enough times to get terminated. You'll get the raises and avoid the layoffs no matter where you fall in the performance category, strictly based on seniority. If seniorty went to the wayside and all raises and layoffs were based on merit, I'd bet the work ethic at many union barns would change. That says it all right there.

I'm not out of the industry. Still heavily involved in it. The non-union workers aren't working with a gun to their head, metaphorically or otherwise, they are working hard because they know that being better at their job than the next guy will help them when it comes time to promotion, raises, as well as layoffs. While at a Union shop all you need to do is the bare minimum to keep from getting written up enough times to get terminated. You'll get the raises and avoid the layoffs no matter where you fall in the performance category, strictly based on seniority. If seniorty went to the wayside and all raises and layoffs were based on merit, I'd bet the work ethic at many union barns would change. That says it all right there.

you forgot about say they just get a bug up their butts and say go home i dont like your attitute any more your fired . oh wait thats you nons i forgot. union goes out and nons pay goes down because you dont have our backs to ride anymore.
there are many ways for them to press you on performance that you wouldnt understand

With a name like Lazy Larry I am sure you got 20% more you could give. If everyone voting yes was so scared of losing their jobs maybe started actually giving a 110% everyday would make alot of difference. I don't hear that kind of talk and I see alot of guys standing around complaining when they oughta get off their rear ends and get to work! Just a thought.

You gotta be :shit:tin me!
We got drivers puttin in 700+ miles daily, 7 days a week trying to make for the last giveback! 110% is an easy week for some of these guys.

It's been my experience that good employees don't need unions to protect them. Good employers don't need unions to keep their employees happy.

Unions exist where there are crappy employers and/or crappy employees. If neither existed, neither would the unions. Fact is they both exist, therefore we do need Unions. I just don't need to work for one. YMMV.

Are you the crappy employee? Or do you have a crappy employer? Either way, it's on you. Either get your act together or work for somebody who deserves to profit from what you bring to the table.

Good employees rarely get screwed with. There are Federal and State laws to protect you if you are.

It's been my experience that good employees don't need unions to protect them. Good employers don't need unions to keep their employees happy.

Unions exist where there are crappy employers and/or crappy employees. If neither existed, neither would the unions. Fact is they both exist, therefore we do need Unions. I just don't need to work for one. YMMV.

Are you the crappy employee? Or do you have a crappy employer? Either way, it's on you. Either get your act together or work for somebody who deserves to profit from what you bring to the table.

Good employees rarely get screwed with. There are Federal and State laws to protect you if you are.

You know its getting close to Christmas also, so be good for goodness sake!

You can't possibly be insinuating that Santa's not real, tell me it's not so. ;) Next thing you are going to tell me the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy aren't real either!

I think anytime you essentially offer FREE health insurance peiple will remain loyal to the company. For any job to pay over $14 an hour its a pretty good job these days. This isn't my personal breaking point, but I think you would see a lot more no votes if there was not health insurance or wages below $14HR. Its just labor. You can be replaced.

For truck drivers I don't think any LTL outfit should pay less than .40cpm and offer some type of health insurance for a reasonable cost. That would be my breaking point as a driver. I used to work for SMT and they pay .32cpm. So there are LTL companies trying to pay real low.

You really have low expectations. You might as well go work at McDonalds or Walmart, much better than driving for .40. Why do you need company health insurance? Didn't your president and the democratically controlled congress with their super majority, just give us all government health care? Our health care was never free, neither was our pension as you should be seeing.

40 cents X 2000 miles= $800 a week. $14 an hour is $460 a week. 40 cents X 3000 miles= $1200 and no home time. Like I said, better off working at the local Walmart, at least you are home and get 10% off at Walmart.

40 cents X 2000 miles= $800 a week. $14 an hour is $460 a week. 40 cents X 3000 miles= $1200 and no home time. Like I said, better off working at the local Walmart, at least you are home and get 10% off at Walmart.

$14hr? Your Walmart sure pays a lot better than the $8hr mine pays. Maybe I need to move?

You gotta be :shit:tin me!
We got drivers puttin in 700+ miles daily, 7 days a week trying to make for the last giveback! 110% is an easy week for some of these guys.

I think maybe Larry is referring to the guys that fall into the 2.5 bills per hr.,on the dock,and 2 trips to the rail in 12-14 hours,and maybe hooking 3 sets in 8 plus hrs,in the yard.I would be embarrassed.

On the other hand according to the new concession package YRCW has to start contributing 25% to the pension on June 1, 2011.
:biglaugh: Just like we heard at the last concession. I think that it sounded something like...."On January 1, 2011, they have to start paying into the pension funds again". Isn't going to happen, is it?
If that doesn't happen, then it might be time to revaluate the situation.
Fool me once, shame on you......Fool me twice shame on me.

I don't know where you guys get your insurance prices from but your numbers are grossly exaggerated. I know that everyone has different costs in different geographic areas, but your costs seem a little extreme. I'm in Central States. Our top plan is $265.00 per week ($1,060.00 per month) The middle plan is $210.00 per week ($840.00 per month) and the lowest plan is $174.00 per week ($696.00 per month)

Last edited by a moderator:
$14hr? Your Walmart sure pays a lot better than the $8hr mine pays. Maybe I need to move?

No, I do not think Wal-mart pays $14 an hour, I was referring to truckinus saying that $14 an hour was good truck driving wages. Wrench97 is correct $14 and hour is $560 a week, I should have got that one right, since I use to be paid $14 an hour.

I think maybe Larry is referring to the guys that fall into the 2.5 bills per hr.,on the dock,and 2 trips to the rail in 12-14 hours,and maybe hooking 3 sets in 8 plus hrs,in the yard.I would be embarrassed.

Yea but the sorry part is when they start bragging about how bad they did, like it's a game to see who's worst................................

truckinusa nothing is free.you and we are in essence paying for our own health insurance.look at your check stub..equity wages and benefit union.it is not going to the company first.albeit.health insurance is great.but for what we pay for each week.we should have the gold standard in health insurance.nothing hardly goes to where the union said it would when they were selling all these paycuts to us.

maybe they should toss in all that $$$$$$ they kept for a strike fund that will never be used. by now that should be able to fund some pension plans

Yea but the sorry part is when they start bragging about how bad they did, like it's a game to see who's worst................................

Problem is,these numbers have been this way for years at big places like 301,309,511,342,and on,and on.Wish someone still could show me how we compete with the non's,with #'s like this.We are still,our own worst enemy.