ODFL | Unbelievable hiring practices

gone for good

TB Lurker
Credits
gentlemen I know everybody who’s been here for At least 10 or 15 years can see what’s going on with the new hires I had a great friend who was just like oh one week sure to 15 years at the Baltimore terminal because he pull a trailer from the dock that already been closed for 30 minutes and had a hook card at the Harrisburg terminal this man is straight as an arrow he made honest mistake did not realize that they had re-open the door for a miss load and never told nobody what they have done to cover their asses and my man thought the chain was still around the back he was one week short from four weeks vacation they let them loose with no appeal but yet we have a cancer going on here we let peoples roll over trailers in rear in people and they give them their job back after a week there’s a cancer in this company it’s growing day by day I’m so glad that I’m out of here in two years and by the time this company realizes what they’ve done it’ll be too late the cancer will eat them up at some point in time and please I do not want to hear from all the other people who think or who think they know something everybody deserves a second chance but he bounce right back and found a great job but we’re losing good people left and right my friends Also did any of your old timers do we get 10,000 bucks $5000 please somebody show me a paystub when you got a bonus and we get a lousy 1500 bucks for 15 years a safe driving go figure

I agree driver,, we got line drivers rolling over brand new trucks and getting away with silly excuses when you know they fell asleep because they up all day,, but that guy makes an honest mistake in so many years he should’ve been given a break. In sea we have a line driver who wouldn’t slow the f up in bad weather closed the whole freeway down when she jack knife,, no big deal keep your job

I agree driver,, we got line drivers rolling over brand new trucks and getting away with silly excuses when you know they fell asleep because they up all day,, but that guy makes an honest mistake in so many years he should’ve been given a break. In sea we have a line driver who wouldn’t slow the f up in bad weather closed the whole freeway down when she jack knife,, no big deal keep your job
Yeah I know I’m just a little pissed off that all I see is people walking around with cell phones in their hands never pre-trip in their trucks and like I said this guy all he was was a company man from beginning to the end and he treated him like a piece of dirt it was all about the money my friend they were about to pay him for weeks vacation the next week to sit home they use that money to buy these guys a little bonus they called me in the office and said I was following too closely I could’ve rear-ended somebody a car had cut in front of me and pinned me in But I did not ruin nobody just like this guy didn’t do anything to hurt anybody nobody got hurt nobody was even in the trailer yet they cut him loose to save a few dollars I wish him the best of luck in their future

Yeah I know I’m just a little pissed off that all I see is people walking around with cell phones in their hands never pre-trip in their trucks and like I said this guy all he was was a company man from beginning to the end and he treated him like a piece of dirt it was all about the money my friend they were about to pay him for weeks vacation the next week to sit home they use that money to buy these guys a little bonus they called me in the office and said I was following too closely I could’ve rear-ended somebody a car had cut in front of me and pinned me in But I did not ruin nobody just like this guy didn’t do anything to hurt anybody nobody got hurt nobody was even in the trailer yet they cut him loose to save a few dollars I wish him the best of luck in their future
Also I might add I’m worried about if I make a mistake that doesn’t cost the company one nickel and they’re going to send me down the road because of five weeks vacation I guarantee that’s their whole plan with this time and a half after 50 they need to save millions of dollars because you’re about ready to get dicked

The policy is dumb but at the end of the day when hooking a trailer at the dock you should always put your lock on the trailer prior to pulling away. He does bear some responsibility for this outcome. But the dock supervisor should have been terminated as well if that trailer door really was open but closed in the system. This is prime example of the dock trying to manipulate numbers and it’s bullshit.

Rules like this should be revised because I am aware of several people at other service centers who did the exact same thing and were given final write ups instead of termination, One for sure in San Antonio Texas. Unless it was blatant and intentional, Nothing should be automatic termination.

I also consider anything that happens a failure of Management. Including Dock bosses specifically and Safety especially.

If a system of scheduling and so on works perfectly no driver should fall asleep much less in a brand new rig.

Unfortunately drivers are disposable. used to wipe the stains off managements asses and then replaced with another. If Managment were in fear of enforcement against them to the point of being fired at any time for failing to say put another driver in that is awake for example or forgetting to inform a particular driver his trailer is still being loaded etc then things must change.

Not until then.

I also consider anything that happens a failure of Management. Including Dock bosses specifically and Safety especially.

If a system of scheduling and so on works perfectly no driver should fall asleep much less in a brand new rig.

Unfortunately drivers are disposable. used to wipe the stains off managements asses and then replaced with another. If Managment were in fear of enforcement against them to the point of being fired at any time for failing to say put another driver in that is awake for example or forgetting to inform a particular driver his trailer is still being loaded etc then things must change.

Not until then.
I understand I’ve been to Harrisburg a few times you cannot walk between the trailers at the dock unless you’re about 150 pounds sideways nobody puts the lock on the lead trailer do they hook up at least it was it’s all about the money my friend they have to pay for the bonuses someway be careful but all is good on his end

Also I might add I’m worried about if I make a mistake that doesn’t cost the company one nickel and they’re going to send me down the road because of five weeks vacation I guarantee that’s their whole plan with this time and a half after 50 they need to save millions of dollars because you’re about ready to get dicked
And I might add one final point as a linehaul driver unless you got 8 foot long arms you’re not allowed on the dock it’s impossible to put a lock on the trailer do you leas clear the two trailers beside you or at least do a tug like I said this guy was straight as an arrow eight they just ::shit:: all over him a new guy down and safety is a piece of dirt I heard trying to make a name for himself he won’t last long

I understand I’ve been to Harrisburg a few times you cannot walk between the trailers at the dock unless you’re about 150 pounds sideways nobody puts the lock on the lead trailer do they hook up at least it was it’s all about the money my friend they have to pay for the bonuses someway be careful but all is good on his end
Now that can be fixed by removing enough trailers to widen the space between them.

I cannot fit between them now as you describe at 180. It would hurt too much. I used to be 150 and spent too much time getting into confined spaces because others cannot.

What good is 1000 trailers jammed together lined up that close when you have 10 souls who cannot be bothered to take care of all of them in a timely manner each day?

Only way to stop the bullseye on the back with any vacation time accrued is to get some outside representation. It would also solve the problem with giving up time waiting window times for free and low task pays for everything in linehaul, and overtime after 8 and actual seniority for job assignments in p&d.

Complaining about being an at-will employee won’t help. If we want to stop this sort of thing there is only one way.

I like working at OD. The way they treat guys with time really doesn’t impress me though. Also, the economic terminations are ridiculous. Why would anyone even want to come back? Start from scratch at a place you didn’t leave from on your own accord. If it happens to me, I’ll find something else and wouldn’t come back.

Dont really see things getting better. Drivers hired out of school who get into bad habits right out of the gate, no pre trips, post trips and no accountability for anything out here in the PNW. Pretty much a do as you wish attitude as long as the freight gets moved. Well, this ol dog had enough so I called it quits and retired on Nov.18. I still believe OD is a very good place to work but like a lot of places these days, management has let things go, and, in the future its going to bite them in the azz. Best wishes to all those line guys out there and the city guys that try to make a difference. A strong team makes a world of difference and I hope somehow OD can instill that TEAM WORK attitude back like it was when I came on board in 2014. Again, best wishes to all ....

I'll die an American Trucker. Do it again twice if reincarnated and both hands to boot. Its just too much fun. (YAH RIGHT....) And more importantly like I swore carefully in front of God I refuse to rot quietly being micromanaged or henpecked in some corporate office tower. 14 years of school taught me that.

Never mind the bullying and being beat until you agree to comply with what they are telling you to do.

I'll die an American Trucker. Do it again twice if reincarnated and both hands to boot. Its just too much fun. (YAH RIGHT....) And more importantly like I swore carefully in front of God I refuse to rot quietly being micromanaged or henpecked in some corporate office tower. 14 years of school taught me that.

Never mind the bullying and being beat until you agree to comply with what they are telling you to do.
As opposed to trucking where you can deliver the freight anywhere you like as opposed to the place they tell you to go. Yea, right! :duh: :hilarious:

I have been retired 6 years from ABF. As a Teamster, like them or not, in Local 135 Indianapolis, IN that rank & file member would have been returned to work. Maybe with lost pay, maybe not. But he would have been back working before the week was out. 17 years I witnessed 4 or 5 times business agents coming to the terminal for a meeting that righted a wrong before they left. Those type of actions by the Hall were few & far between. But they did happen. I paid 60 bucks a month to have excellent health insurance that cost me nothing each month for full family coverage. Plus 2 grand a month pension for retirement. I did get lucky. A lot of employees that did not have union to protect them, paid 100.00 a week for medical insurance that would never come close to the C-6 coverage I had. I was lucky to work under a CBA for 18 years. So thank you Teamsters and all the ones before before me who fought suffered for the type of compensation I had as a truck driver. von.

I have been retired 6 years from ABF. As a Teamster, like them or not, in Local 135 Indianapolis, IN that rank & file member would have been returned to work. Maybe with lost pay, maybe not. But he would have been back working before the week was out. 17 years I witnessed 4 or 5 times business agents coming to the terminal for a meeting that righted a wrong before they left. Those type of actions by the Hall were few & far between. But they did happen. I paid 60 bucks a month to have excellent health insurance that cost me nothing each month for full family coverage. Plus 2 grand a month pension for retirement. I did get lucky. A lot of employees that did not have union to protect them, paid 100.00 a week for medical insurance that would never come close to the C-6 coverage I had. I was lucky to work under a CBA for 18 years. So thank you Teamsters and all the ones before before me who fought suffered for the type of compensation I had as a truck driver. von.
That's great that you are one of the 'lucky ones' from those crooks! Do you even think they will finally find the Founder of your Teamsters? DOUBTFUL!

Find Jimmy? Who cares? I don't. I believe that Jimmy was put in a container of acid where by the end of the day even the bones left no evidence. A lot of crooks are stupid. But some of them had vast experience in the line of body disposal. They can dig up any stadium or landfill they want to find poor Jimmy. All I ask is I get the contract to do the digging. Talk about some big bucks. With any luck & the right amount of grease, I could start digging by Monday. I will let you know how that turns out. von.

And you can pretty much forget the dumped body into the pouring foundation of concrete for the next sky scraper under construction. The decomposing of a human body places a problem against the structure as it cures and it will for lack of a better word be always a weakness there. A form of Abscess. At some point it must fail.