Pitt-Ohio | Under 21 permit holders

sabresfan

TB Regular
PREMIUM
Credits

A Pennsylvania trucking company wants the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to let it use under-21 commercial learner’s permit holders for the agency’s apprentice pilot program.

This isn't the first thing on my list that I would to want to address getting drivers behind the wheel. I have 2 boys in this age group and both would need a few more years IMHO.

If I’m understanding this correctly it would allow under 21 year drivers to drive as part of the apprenticeship program but still could not get a class A until 21? From what I’ve seen, Pitt Ohio’s training is very thorough and they would not release a new CDL holder prematurely. We have several long term tractor trailer drivers who started as dock workers or straight truck drivers which should help support their case. That being said, not all teenagers are created equally and I think there, at the very least, would need to be some additional vetting required to determine if a younger candidate is prepared to take on the responsibility. I first drove a tractor trailer on an interstate when I was 17 while my dad took a nap and there are many drivers out there with similar beginnings, but on the other hand there are also 30 year olds who shouldn’t even be driving a car.

A Pennsylvania trucking company wants the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to let it use under-21 commercial learner’s permit holders for the agency’s apprentice pilot program.

This isn't the first thing on my list that I would to want to address getting drivers behind the wheel. I have 2 boys in this age group and both would need a few more years IMHO.
This would be an exception for Pitt only, I am sure other companies will complain about an an unfair advantage. So far at Pyle for our program they are keeping at 21 to get in. Even with our NON CDL's you have to be 21. I am not sure seeing the next generation of dock and younger people I would trust them with a CDL as you said.

If I’m understanding this correctly it would allow under 21 year drivers to drive as part of the apprenticeship program but still could not get a class A until 21? From what I’ve seen, Pitt Ohio’s training is very thorough and they would not release a new CDL holder prematurely. We have several long term tractor trailer drivers who started as dock workers or straight truck drivers which should help support their case. That being said, not all teenagers are created equally and I think there, at the very least, would need to be some additional vetting required to determine if a younger candidate is prepared to take on the responsibility. I first drove a tractor trailer on an interstate when I was 17 while my dad took a nap and there are many drivers out there with similar beginnings, but on the other hand there are also 30 year olds who shouldn’t even be driving a car.
From what I heard they would not be able to go out of state