ABF | Union……

Larrythethird

TB Lurker
Credits
Im going to be honest, when I first started at ABF I was skeptical about the union. It is my first union job and at first I had mixed emotions about it and some bad experiences. You can do this but you can’t do that sort of thing and stuff like that pertaining to talking to anyone in management and just overall how things work at a union company such as ABF. But let me tell you, it was the best decision I ever made. After some time the union grew on me and I will never go back go working for a non union carrier again. Drivers from other companies like to talk bad about us union guys but we got guys who have come from every other non union LTL carrier and they love it here at ABF. I know at first it’s hard you gotta put your time in and what not and work on call and weird hours but it’s one of the best jobs in the industry you can get hands down. I think after the next contract coming up ABF will be the top LTL carrier to work for just my opinion.

Unions are good and bad , as protects the bad workers from being fired ................

Unions are good and bad , as protects the bad workers from being fired ................
Bad workers eventually get them self fired, union has no use for problem children. but must represent them, Companys normally give the problem child enough rope till he hangs himself. seen it many times

Bad workers eventually get them self fired, union has no use for problem children. but must represent them, Companys normally give the problem child enough rope till he hangs himself. seen it many times
I have seen employees at ABF that could have been discharged but weren't. I remember talking with R.A. Young IV a short time before his death. He said his dad was for giving a second chance for honest mistakes. His thought was if you fire an experienced employee you will have to find a replacement for an employee that has been or will be an asset to the company. A new employee will probably require training.

I have seen employees at ABF that could have been discharged but weren't. I remember talking with R.A. Young IV a short time before his death. He said his dad was for giving a second chance for honest mistakes. His thought was if you fire an experienced employee you will have to find a replacement for an employee that has been or will be an asset to the company. A new employee will probably require training.

I'll likely take some heat for saying this, but there was a time long ago when the Union would go overboard to protect some slug because he was "connected" and let other decent guys hang out to dry. That's changed thankfully but the memories of that stuff can affect some people's opinion of the Union sadly.

Not in our barn , we have one guy that is a problem child for going on 20 years , even has his own filing cabinet for all the warning letters over the years !!

I'll likely take some heat for saying this, but there was a time long ago when the Union would go overboard to protect some slug because he was "connected" and let other decent guys hang out to dry. That's changed thankfully but the memories of that stuff can affect some people's opinion of the Union sadly.
Remember the old days when a select few would come to work wearing dress shoes and leisure suits., never got into trouble, but never did any work either. just hung around the barn

Now, at this time, it's not so much the union has to go to war for a guy/ gal , it's the fact that the company has become so accepting of major moral character flaws in the people they hire. Years ago you were hired with the understanding you had to come to work everyday and not wreck property and equipment, minimally. Now the company , at least in Milwaukee, believe those flaws are just the price they have to pay to have a body in the seat.

Now, at this time, it's not so much the union has to go to war for a guy/ gal , it's the fact that the company has become so accepting of major moral character flaws in the people they hire. Years ago you were hired with the understanding you had to come to work everyday and not wreck property and equipment, minimally. Now the company , at least in Milwaukee, believe those flaws are just the price they have to pay to have a body in the seat.
Years ago anybody working under the NMFA were paid much better wages than non union employees. Considering benefits/pension that is still true but hourly wages are close now.

Same at our terminal