XPO | Union Debate and News

Gotta disagree on this one. They aren't employees, they are students. Their "compensation" is a free ride education with room and board. The also get the chance to showcase their talents to potentially become pro athletes. Football programs generally find the entire athletic program, this allowing athletes in less popular sports the opportunity to come to school free. A rising tide raises all boats, I figured the more liberal among us would like that. Give someone something, all they want is more.

Well said.

Gotta disagree on this one. They aren't employees, they are students. Their "compensation" is a free ride education with room and board. The also get the chance to showcase their talents to potentially become pro athletes. Football programs generally find the entire athletic program, this allowing athletes in less popular sports the opportunity to come to school free. A rising tide raises all boats, I figured the more liberal among us would like that. Give someone something, all they want is more.

Except that they are being used to sell jerseys and video games and everything else. The school makes millions. They get an education. Just doesn't seem like those values are justified. Remember barely 2% are going to be pro athletes.

My daughter signed her NLI a few months ago. We completely understand the program is your boss. You are there to work your ass off inside and outside the classroom. In exchange you will get a free education, free meals and free room and board. Granted it's not a revenue sport, but thanks to Title IX there are monies available to provide scholarships to females in non-revenue generating sports. You are always welcome to forego athletics and attend college on your own dime.

In my opinion, the more organized the American work force becomes, the better off all of us hard working, blue collar types will be. I believe that the decline of organized labor has contributed to the decline of the American standard of living. I think that a contract with your work force that states what your wages will be and what your benefits will cost etc is a good thing. Forget about work rules that tie a companies hands, just give the American worker a contract for there wages and benefits.

Sorry to say, but no parent would turn down any type of cash contract for their children playing college sports.

The already have one. It's called a scholarship. If you're giving someone a free education, room and board, is that not compensation? I realize colleges make big money off their athletic deparments, that money supports the entire athletic department, including scholarships for their athletes that aren't going to go on to a pro deal worth millions of dollars. How many students are positively impacted by a division 1 football team at their school? The only thing I can say that schools should be compelled to do is provide complete health care for all their athletes for injuries sustained while on the field of play for that school, and any after affects of said injury. Also, schools should provide travel/lodging concessions for parents of athletes for away games so parents wouldn't incur such a hardship to travel to see their kids play away games. Travel could be based on a merit basis. If, for example, you have an athlete whose parents have financial means to travel, they receive no benefit. Those who come from inner-cities and poor families, they receive the benefit. Parents/students shouldn't receive cash compensation for play. If you're a big time talent, your money is going to come soon enough.

Brown does union right. If they were all like this unions would never have died.

Brown has nothing to do with it, the members are the union. It is because of the union members that the union is strong. If the members sit back and expect things to happen without them standing up nothing happens. I would expect a man with all your union experience to know that.

I think it is a fair deal for both sides

IMO, that would depend greatly on just how much the union paid to UPS in damages. 10 day suspensions without pay for walking out for 90 minutes? Expensive sacrifice, but it got the ol' dude his job back so power in numbers as they say. Wonder how many numbers that undisclosed amount was? Neither $1 or a $1MM would surprise me!

It's a fair deal to me because both sides got what they wanted. The money isn't a big deal to me. The company got the pleasure of making the union to eat crow on the 90 minute work stoppage and the union got bragging rights as to it's power to help the employees keep their jobs. If there was a winner in this deal, I say it was the company. In addition to what I already said, they didn't have to spend tons of money hiring and training new drivers and they got cash from the union.

Funny...like many things it's all about perspective. The ol' dude got his job back and knows he had 250 chest thumpers that would stand up for him. Those 250 probably feel like the Union saved their butts...even though it's going to cost them a couple of grand each in lost wages. They would have all been better off just giving the guy $1000/each and he would have had a $250K severance package ;). The company did gain by not having to hire/train, however they also gave 251 folks the knowledge that if enough of them break the contract at the same time it isn't likely to be enforced. The union had to pay something and it was probably money well spent, no matter the amount as the union needed their members to believe in them again.

After 25 yrs in the union damn glad job security
Have a problem just a phone call. No favorites seniority rules vacation sick days holiday personal day health ins . Go home you don't worry about the job until you go to work . Good luck its worth it

Have a problem just a phone call. No favorites seniority rules vacation sick days holiday personal day health ins . Go home you don't worry about the job until you go to work . Good luck its worth it
You just described my day..no worries. Easy job.

While those things are mostly true I might add that you'll never get a raise based on your merit. You will never have the opportunity to let the cream rise to the top. Every slug you work with will "earn" the same wages and benefits you do as long as they've been there "long enough". Certainly not my cup of tea from a management or a worker in the trenches perspective and I have been both.

I can see you don't realize. You will have a big disappointment. And it well happen to you Oh I thought he was my friend. Anyway I am at my end of my work days so I been where your at .