FedEx Freight | UNION: Organize, or not?

A buddy of mine sent me this a cpl weeks ago he's an Ironworker and said one of his coworkers sent it to him...
etyzuhe6.jpg
ygy3aduv.jpg

When are the actual meetings? Where are the cards being signed? I've heard Richmond VA. Is that fact? Is this all just talk? There is nothing, to my knowledge, at my center.

When are the actual meetings? Where are the cards being signed? I've heard Richmond VA. Is that fact? Is this all just talk? There is nothing, to my knowledge, at my center.

You've got to figure secrecy is vital in the early stages, until support can be established/confirmed etc.. Also, if everyone figures somebody should call, and anybody could, but nobody actually does... Nothing happens.

I too have heard rumors of various centers, but haven't posted anything to avoid blowing anyone's cover.

why is it standard practice to accuse unionized workers of being lazy or whiners? that is just a simplistic way to try and marginalize someone so their opinion wont be heard. workers want union representation when they feel they have no voice in their workplace. is it wrong to want to be treated fairly and equally without favoritism? to be allowed to have some human dignity even if your boss doesnt "like" you ? the guys that are fervently opposed to the union are usually the ones that are currently on the "dream team" i.e. boss' favorites. that status can change on a whim and then what will they do ? the concept of a union is "strength in numbers" and it still applies even today.

ask the union reps if it is possible to "sign a card" electronically via text, email etc... would be a safe way to vote your conscience without fear of retaliation.

FedEx falls under the RLA. So if 50% plus one at your barn vote yes then you will still be non union. The entire company has to vote at one time. You call me an idiot and tell me I don't know what I am talking about. Answer me this if FedEx doesn't fall under the RLA then why aren't barns in New York or Chicago union? Why arent union reps standing outside the small end of the line barns ttrying to get cards signed? Because the logistics and man power of setting up a company wide vote are astronomical. The union is a business and will only do things that help their bottom line. Setting up an entire vote company wide when a number of those barns are in right to work states where most employees probably won't pay dues anyway it doesn't make sense. I have been here six years now and every two years there is a push on truckingboards to organize FedEx and it never happens, not saying it never will. If people want this to happen then it will take an enormous effort of a lot of FedEx employee. Homer Simpson said it best" Don't strike just go in everyday and do your job really halfass. That's the american way"

Yes you are correct, ALL barns needs to have a vote at the same time, this organizing process will take a long time. It will get very ugly, and alot of people will fold, tuck their tails between their legs and just do what management wants, bcuz they used scare tactics. Fred smith tried his hardest to put yrc out of business years ago. He just wasent trying to squish his competitor. He was trying to fold the teamsters. So trust me when i say this. The teamsters will do all that they can to make you teamsters, (to better your life, and to have job security), but also to give fred smith a black eye. I for one am proud to be a teamster, and yes the grass is greener on the other side.

ask the union reps if it is possible to "sign a card" electronically via text, email etc... would be a safe way to vote your conscience without fear of retaliation.
You are protected by law for any retaliatory or retribution or even being fired by the company for signing or acknowledging a Union.

All you got to do, if you are wanting to get started on organizing ur service center, is pick up the phone and call your local union hall and just have a conversation with the Business Agent at that local.

why is it standard practice to accuse unionized workers of being lazy or whiners? that is just a simplistic way to try and marginalize someone so their opinion wont be heard. workers want union representation when they feel they have no voice in their workplace. is it wrong to want to be treated fairly and equally without favoritism? to be allowed to have some human dignity even if your boss doesnt "like" you ? the guys that are fervently opposed to the union are usually the ones that are currently on the "dream team" i.e. boss' favorites. that status can change on a whim and then what will they do ? the concept of a union is "strength in numbers" and it still applies even today.
Great post.

Yes you are correct, ALL barns needs to have a vote at the same time, this organizing process will take a long time. It will get very ugly, and alot of people will fold, tuck their tails between their legs and just do what management wants, bcuz they used scare tactics. Fred smith tried his hardest to put yrc out of business years ago. He just wasent trying to squish his competitor. He was trying to fold the teamsters. So trust me when i say this. The teamsters will do all that they can to make you teamsters, (to better your life, and to have job security), but also to give fred smith a black eye. I for one am proud to be a teamster, and yes the grass is greener on the other side.

Freight is not under the RLA! Expess is. Fred spent millions trying to get freight under it and failed! You can vote one barn at a time. We are in the process of getting several major hubs on board before we ask for a vote so they can't easily run freight around barns.

I say Y E S!!!!!! The time is NOW OR NEVER!!!! Think of it, the FedEx pilots are union... so why not us???

This is a cut and paste from a YRC driver on their board...he's telling it like it is in the union. You really want to sign up for this?

werbankrupt

We have non-competitive pay, no retirement, only health insurance to offer.
We still play call board.
We still play ***** in the a.m. with drivers, not getting their freight loaded and delivered, even though it may not arrive until 1300.
We paly favorites always, giving all home deliveries to certain people, all drop and hooks to others, all the time, consistently.
We had one guy walk off recently, another tried to give notice, he was cussed and told not to come back. He had delivered freight on his own time in his personal vehicle on multiple occasions.
We cannot get the freight here on time, ever. Hot freight due at 1700 arrives at 1600 to be stripped.
We were offered truck school, 3 hours in the horse with a trainer, 2 hours on your own, you are now qualified.
Furthermore, there is no rule, contract, hos reg, safety reg that is not routinely broken, the contract is only relevant for pay and time off.
Cronyism, nepotism, favoritism, despotism and narcissism are the guiding principles.
Even worse, the culture was always to hire managers "dumber than you" so that you looked good. each generation of managers followed this maxim and we are now left with those unable to manage.
They are only able to manipulate the numbers, little else.
There is no macro solution to yrc's cash woes, until we look at every run, every bit of time waiting at a dock, or idling and try to save money there, we will always lose money. it will be made a nickel and dime at a time.
[There is a lot of abuse, most of it is management sanctioned, one guy will get busted for stopping to eat, while another guy jogs or feeds cats on the clock.

Kennesaw Kid, bigtruk_us, longblade and 5 others like this.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

This is a cut and paste from a YRC driver on their board...he's telling it like it is in the union. You really want to sign up for this?

werbankrupt

We have non-competitive pay, no retirement, only health insurance to offer.
We still play call board.
We still play ***** in the a.m. with drivers, not getting their freight loaded and delivered, even though it may not arrive until 1300.
We paly favorites always, giving all home deliveries to certain people, all drop and hooks to others, all the time, consistently.
We had one guy walk off recently, another tried to give notice, he was cussed and told not to come back. He had delivered freight on his own time in his personal vehicle on multiple occasions.
We cannot get the freight here on time, ever. Hot freight due at 1700 arrives at 1600 to be stripped.
We were offered truck school, 3 hours in the horse with a trainer, 2 hours on your own, you are now qualified.
Furthermore, there is no rule, contract, hos reg, safety reg that is not routinely broken, the contract is only relevant for pay and time off.
Cronyism, nepotism, favoritism, despotism and narcissism are the guiding principles.
Even worse, the culture was always to hire managers "dumber than you" so that you looked good. each generation of managers followed this maxim and we are now left with those unable to manage.
They are only able to manipulate the numbers, little else.
There is no macro solution to yrc's cash woes, until we look at every run, every bit of time waiting at a dock, or idling and try to save money there, we will always lose money. it will be made a nickel and dime at a time.
[There is a lot of abuse, most of it is management sanctioned, one guy will get busted for stopping to eat, while another guy jogs or feeds cats on the clock.

Kennesaw Kid, bigtruk_us, longblade and 5 others like this.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

No, hes telling it like it is at YRCF. Nice try tho.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forum Runner

No, hes telling it like it is at YRCF. Nice try tho.

So somehow YRC is different than the union? If that's how it is at YRC, then it's safe to believe that's how it would be at FedEx Freight if we went union. Do I need to start cutting and pasting from ABF and UPSF threads??? Really? Just admit the union has failed to deal with de-regulation. They've failed their members for 34 years, and now they promise FedEx drivers anything and everything, with no guarantee in writing. Put it in writing, since you folks claim a contract is so valuable. If you don't deliver, I can sue you personally and take your house away from you. Put all your assets where your mouth is.

BS is what the union is selling, and the membership keeps paying for it!

ST

So somehow YRC is different than the union? If that's how it is at YRC, then it's safe to believe that's how it would be at FedEx Freight if we went union. Do I need to start cutting and pasting from ABF and UPSF threads??? Really? Just admit the union has failed to deal with de-regulation. They've failed their members for 34 years, and now they promise FedEx drivers anything and everything, with no guarantee in writing. Put it in writing, since you folks claim a contract is so valuable. If you don't deliver, I can sue you personally and take your house away from you. Put all your assets where your mouth is.

BS is what the union is selling, and the membership keeps paying for it!

ST

You sure like to ASSume things dont you. Do you know what the union has "promised" FedEx drivers? No you dont. You ASSumed. And that cut and paste from yrcf you posted sounds just like what fedex guys are posting about where they work with the exception of having representation. Your ignorance of unions is amazing.

You sure like to ASSume things dont you. Do you know what the union has "promised" FedEx drivers? No you dont. You ASSumed. And that cut and paste from yrcf you posted sounds just like what fedex guys are posting about where they work with the exception of having representation. Your ignorance of unions is amazing.

Actually, I'm not assuming anything. I'm using the information provided to me by union members about how the union fails them everyday. You ASSume non union folks will join the union to fund your pension, because the union has failed you for the last 34 years. If your union was worth belonging to, you wouldn't need to recruit members, as folks would be flocking to your doors begging to join. Even RC quit the union and hasn't rejoined. He works at a non-union and won't quit and re-join the union, because he evidently doesn't believe in it. If he did, he'd be long gone...Grow up dude...you are truly Yrc's atm...and you will continue to be...congrats....I'm no one's atm.

ST

Actually, I'm not assuming anything. I'm using the information provided to me by union members about how the union fails them everyday. You ASSume non union folks will join the union to fund your pension, because the union has failed you for the last 34 years. If your union was worth belonging to, you wouldn't need to recruit members, as folks would be flocking to your doors begging to join. Even RC quit the union and hasn't rejoined. He works at a non-union and won't quit and re-join the union, because he evidently doesn't believe in it. If he did, he'd be long gone...Grow up dude...you are truly Yrc's atm...and you will continue to be...congrats....I'm no one's atm.

ST
If the union was voted in would you move on to new employment?