SAIA | Union

That’s not entirely true.Western states and New England are in good shape .Those are very large funds and a host of others are fairly solvent .Id worry more if I were a state pension holder in Illinois or New York And New Jerseyor Pennsylvania ,These finds are broke and whom will fix them ,Guess Who ,The tax payer .Did these funds get infiltrated by organized crime or miss managed ,No ..We need to change the laws where as a fully funded plans can accrue future benefits with out paying taxes or returning money back to employers.A pension promise is a sacred promise for all that contribute.
Thanks R/B you stole my exact thought ,well told .

You are blessed and lucky
Most teamsters in the LTL business under 50 years old most likely will never see a nickel of their pension.
What will their $60 a month get them????
Heres the deal Puff. Our local was ran by a very shrewd man named Louie Pike that invested heavily in Chicago Real-estate either rents or is leased. Our local owns property all over Chicago .We have buildings that Rush St Lukes Hospital leases or rents . The United Center home of the Chicago Black Hawks belonged to our local and was sold to the the Wirtz Corporation .Our local owns Parking garages etc the list goes on and on . That money goes all into our pension .

Heres the deal Puff. Our local was ran by a very shrewd man named Louie Pike that invested heavily in Chicago Real-estate either rents or is leased. Our local owns property all over Chicago .We have buildings that Rush St Lukes Hospital leases or rents . The United Center home of the Chicago Black Hawks belonged to our local and was sold to the the Wirtz Corporation .Our local owns Parking garages etc the list goes on and on . That money goes all into our pension .

Depends on how your looking at it :hopelessness: :2437:
NdFkNLI.jpg

Sorry, no, its not your Christmas present.

As much as I'am very very pro Teamsters I think the union had am opportunity to put Saia in the union with little effort is when Yellow owned them .

I’ve thought of that same thing and asked a few 20 year vets why and there responses were that it was never this bad pre Rick O. Former ceo was more of a people person than these number maniacs. Idk

As much as I'am very very pro Teamsters I think the union had am opportunity to put Saia in the union with little effort is when Yellow owned them .
It's been so long since the teamsters organized a carrier no one can remember who it was.
Hoffa gave up the CS Pension so UPS Freight would sign up but they got a white paper contract. So that sell out doesn't count.

So in the 40 years since deregulation the union has nothing to show for organizing attempts. They sat and watched the pension die by degrees and did nothing. Now their nest hope is taxpayers bail them out, another failing strategy.

You can continue some dream of organizing some companies but unless the teamster have something workers are interested in, this only gets worse for them....

It's been so long since the teamsters organized a carrier no one can remember who it was.
Hoffa gave up the CS Pension so UPS Freight would sign up but they got a white paper contract. So that sell out doesn't count.

So in the 40 years since deregulation the union has nothing to show for organizing attempts. They sat and watched the pension die by degrees and did nothing. Now their nest hope is taxpayers bail them out, another failing strategy.

You can continue some dream of organizing some companies but unless the teamster have something workers are interested in, this only gets worse for them....
I'am an old man now and seen most of my working days with Yellow Freight (44 yrs. union )and retired now over 10 years . I will say this , I think the drivers of today are of a different stock . Back in my day if it had more than 4 wheels it was union . When I got into this most of the drivers came from the depression - era.Tough old guys that didn't hesitate to take on management . Now the terminal management come out and sat boo and everyone runs out the door . Now I 'am going to blanket all of todays driver the same because there are some that have that old spirit. And yeah Puff I agree with you , sad to say it ain't going to get better . Its up to the drivers to get a set like their fathers and grandfathers did .

I'am an old man now and seen most of my working days with Yellow Freight (44 yrs. union )and retired now over 10 years . I will say this , I think the drivers of today are of a different stock . Back in my day if it had more than 4 wheels it was union . When I got into this most of the drivers came from the depression - era.Tough old guys that didn't hesitate to take on management . Now the terminal management come out and sat boo and everyone runs out the door . Now I 'am going to blanket all of todays driver the same because there are some that have that old spirit. And yeah Puff I agree with you , sad to say it ain't going to get better . Its up to the drivers to get a set like their fathers and grandfathers did .
The Teamsters just don’t bring enough to the table these days to ever organize another major LTL player. The leaders sold out the members. The only plus is your not hired “at will” like you are with the non-union carriers. Sadly for the hard working employees at SAIA LTL FREIGHT it’s truly a shame. I can think of no other carrier in need of unionization more than SAIA. Guys at SAIA simply don’t know what it’s like to work under an CBA. They only see the money and not the dignity and respect that comes with an CBA and the job security that comes from not being hired “at will.”

The Teamsters just don’t bring enough to the table these days to ever organize another major LTL player. The leaders sold out the members. The only plus is your not hired “at will” like you are with the non-union carriers. Sadly for the hard working employees at SAIA LTL FREIGHT it’s truly a shame. I can think of no other carrier in need of unionization more than SAIA. Guys at SAIA simply don’t know what it’s like to work under an CBA. They only see the money and not the dignity and respect that comes with an CBA and the job security that comes from not being hired “at will.”
Life would be better with a contract . Like you said not being an employee at will is a major plus in employment anywhere . Can anyone feel comfortable buying a house or a new car knowing ya might be out the door at any moment ? What kind of insurance do theses nons have ? Do they give you an insurance that is equal to what the Teamsters give with having to pay no more than $60 a month no matter the number of dependents ? Do they give ya paid vacations with an extra 10 hrs to cover any o/t ya might have had while on vacation ? Our pensions here are second to non and if Saia drivers where union they would be getting the same . Not all Teamster pensions are broke . There are some in bad shape but most are doing just fine . How much more can they bring to the table ?

Life would be better with a contract . Like you said not being an employee at will is a major plus in employment anywhere . Can anyone feel comfortable buying a house or a new car knowing ya might be out the door at any moment ? What kind of insurance do theses nons have ? Do they give you an insurance that is equal to what the Teamsters give with having to pay no more than $60 a month no matter the number of dependents ? Do they give ya paid vacations with an extra 10 hrs to cover any o/t ya might have had while on vacation ? Our pensions here are second to non and if Saia drivers where union they would be getting the same . Not all Teamster pensions are broke . There are some in bad shape but most are doing just fine . How much more can they bring to the table ?
Well, I could tell you SAIA’s overall compensation package does just edge out what you have mentioned. I won’t break it down now because I’m fixing to lay it down. I will later however. I will say that FedEx had every opportunity to come on board but they chose to decertify. Same with XPO. The Teamsters can get their foot in the door but the workers just push them back out. That should tell you something. Look at YRC and what’s going on there. They can’t even get that 15% back in the way it should be given. The non-union workforce sees what’s happening and there’s where the Teamsters fail miserably. The perception is horrible and their credibility is lost. The leaders destroyed the Teamsters. Hoffa should be replaced in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, I could tell you SAIA’s overall compensation package does just edge out what you have mentioned. I won’t break it down now because I’m fixing to lay it down. I will later however. I will say that FedEx had every opportunity to come on board but they chose to decertify. Same with XPO. The Teamsters can get their foot in the door but the workers just push them back out. That should tell you something. Look at YRC and what’s going on there. They can’t even get that 15% back in the way it should be given. The non-union workforce sees what’s happening and there’s where the Teamsters fail miserably. The perception is horrible and their credibility is lost. The leaders destroyed the Teamsters. Hoffa should be replaced in my opinion.
Yeah I Agee with ya about Hoffa , the rest is debatable .