SAIA | Union

320 a month????? Where????
I pay $58/month dues....the dues cover the contract which gets me healthcare for my wife and 3 kids till age 26. $25-$35 copays.
YRC is talking 320 a month for union dues for a pension that doesn’t go with your family when you die. A monthly paycheck. I can stack a 401k with that union due and have MY money work for me how I please and pass it on when I die. I’m a jr driver and was able to take vacation in prime time of the year. In a union you’ll bid vacations. Some jr guys won’t see a summer vacation for 15 years. Jr guys will have to vacation in winter. Fun! So I’ll be able to take a summer vacation when I’m old and crusty? F that! Only company in my short 13yrs of trucking and in my entire 41 yrs of life I got canned from was a Union company with a drive cam. I throw up a middle finger to a union.

You wouldnt pay $55 momthly dues for union representation, and to negotiate your wages and benefits for you? According to your coworkers you are treated like chit, mash or damage a truck and see how much support you get, Ive worked on both sides and non union doesnt compare, your comparing to UPS also, thats a totally different ball game!
Don’t bother with these company ass kissers. I was once one. It took me retiring to finally understand what it means to be not hired “at will” and to gain a different perspective of what a CBA brings to the table. Don’t do this:regretful: ———— it’s simply a waste of time.

YRC is talking 320 a month for union dues for a pension that doesn’t go with your family when you die. A monthly paycheck. I can stack a 401k with that union due and have MY money work for me how I please and pass it on when I die. I’m a jr driver and was able to take vacation in prime time of the year. In a union you’ll bid vacations. Some jr guys won’t see a summer vacation for 15 years. Jr guys will have to vacation in winter. Fun! So I’ll be able to take a summer vacation when I’m old and crusty? F that! Only company in my short 13yrs of trucking and in my entire 41 yrs of life I got canned from was a Union company with a drive cam. I throw up a middle finger to a union.

You have been misinformed or don't know what you are talking about.
Could be the company also, at PIE we had guys take vacation in summer months their first year.
As for leaving your pension to your spouce, you are wrong again, I've been drawing from CS for29 yrs, I had
the option to do just, had I chose.

I’m going to assume he was thinking $60 a week
Our whole terminal would quit if we had to pay $320/month....but mny companies who might pay more hourly...DO have to pay that and more for their insurance..nonunion companies...They might even pay $320/week......so their hourly comp makes for less than ours...but people on both sides don't always see that cost and benefit.

Henry Ford fought against the unions with gangster tactics long after GM and Chrysler signed with the UAW. Ultimately Ford signed and business resumed. It was a different era yet somehow things are not much different today. I wish I could wave a magic wand and everyone could work under a CBA but the times have changed. Although things aren’t as bad as things were back in the day with workers rights things still aren’t on a level playing field. When companies use propaganda and portray the evil of unions they become no better than the unions that do the same thing to companies. There will always be two sides to this issue. To me when company executives pad their pockets at the workers expense by skirting work rules with discrimination tactics in the name of productivity and efficiency the line gets crossed. When the stock price is put over human dignity then representation is needed. Sadly, it’s almost impossible to organize these days because of CEO’s unscrupulous behavior and blatant abuse of power. Things could be worse but they could always be better but unfortunately it’s an uphill battle with the odds against the American workers.

Last edited:
Henry Ford fought against the unions with gangsters tactics long after GM and Chrysler signed with the UAW. Ultimately Ford signed and business resumed. It was a different era yet somehow things are not much different today. I wish I could wave a magic wand and everyone could work under a CBA but the times have changed. Although things aren’t as bad as things were back in the day with workers rights things still aren’t on a level playing field. When companies use propaganda and portray the evil of unions they become no better than the unions that to the same thing to companies. There will always be two sides to this issue. To me when company executives pad their pockets at the workers expense by skirting work rules with discrimination tactics in the name of productivity and efficiency the line gets crossed. When the stock price is put over human dignity then representation is needed. Sadly, it’s almost impossible to organize these days because of CEO’s unscrupulous behavior and blatant abuse of power.
In 1941 Henry Ford's wife Clara gave Henry an ultimatum, sign with the UAW or she would leave him . Hats off to Clara !!!! Henry was a brutal employer. He would deny line employees bath room necessities . Those worker would urinate and defecate in their clothing. Many had to where diapers to work in the plant . Is it any wonder why Ford needed a union ? General Motors and Chrysler were easier to work with how ever Ford did pay better wages .

Our whole terminal would quit if we had to pay $320/month....but mny companies who might pay more hourly...DO have to pay that and more for their insurance..nonunion companies...They might even pay $320/week......so their hourly comp makes for less than ours...but people on both sides don't always see that cost and benefit.

Ok, ok I read something on the YRC side maybe I miss interpreted the $320 for a yearly not monthly something like that.

Last edited:
You have been misinformed or don't know what you are talking about.
Could be the company also, at PIE we had guys take vacation in summer months their first year.
As for leaving your pension to your spouce, you are wrong again, I've been drawing from CS for29 yrs, I had
the option to do just, had I chose.

I worked for a union company that operated the vacation like I explained it. So I guess it’s company to company contract to contract.

You wouldnt pay $55 momthly dues for union representation, and to negotiate your wages and benefits for you? According to your coworkers you are treated like chit, mash or damage a truck and see how much support you get, Ive worked on both sides and non union doesnt compare, your comparing to UPS also, thats a totally different ball game!

No I wouldn’t cause Saia is giving me competitive wages, vacation, and a bid schedule. Along with starting wage at top rate. No pay progression. If I went to UPSF I would of made more at Saia in 5 years then 5 years at UPSF cause the first 2-3 years and depending on seniority might only bring 50-65k a year. Just because you reach top rate at UPSF you still have to have the seniority to make the money. I’m making money now at Saia day 1.

I haven’t got treated like crap. Some of these people have never been anywhere. Yes if you damage something you get written up. But that’s anywhere. Drivers at my barn have damage stuff and they still work here. Even slid off the road or flip a box. Their still here.

I’m doing the same job as I did at Reddaway/YRCW but with more pay and new equipment. May seem like I’m a Company KISS ASS but Ive worked with crappy old equipment, and crappy pay. I’ve driven 1997 cabovers from 2012- til they retired them acouple years ago pulling a rocky set at Reddaway. Drivers here complain about driving a 2017. So I’ve driven some crap and in 2012 had to start at .39cpm. So I’m pretty appreciative of what I got now.

So I see the equipment we got and my checks I’m quite happy. I can’t sit there and say “what if I screw up?” If you worry or have a lack confidence in your trade you will screw up.

All I’m saying why stay at Saia if you want to be in a union. Go to a union job and stop being bitter here. Do something and change your life. If you hate it there’s union companies to hire onto. Yeah you start at the bottom but that’s life. You want to be union then your gonna have to sacrifice. If not stay and abide by the rules cause they sign the check and it doesn’t bounce.

I’m done with this thread. Good luck to all.

No I wouldn’t cause Saia is giving me competitive wages, vacation, and a bid schedule. Along with starting wage at top rate. No pay progression. If I went to UPSF I would of made more at Saia in 5 years then 5 years at UPSF cause the first 2-3 years and depending on seniority might only bring 50-65k a year. Just because you reach top rate at UPSF you still have to have the seniority to make the money. I’m making money now at Saia day 1.

I haven’t got treated like crap. Some of these people have never been anywhere. Yes if you damage something you get written up. But that’s anywhere. Drivers at my barn have damage stuff and they still work here. Even slid off the road or flip a box. Their still here.

I’m doing the same job as I did at Reddaway/YRCW but with more pay and new equipment. May seem like I’m a Company KISS ASS but Ive worked with crappy old equipment, and crappy pay. I’ve driven 1997 cabovers from 2012- til they retired them acouple years ago pulling a rocky set at Reddaway. Drivers here complain about driving a 2017. So I’ve driven some crap and in 2012 had to start at .39cpm. So I’m pretty appreciative of what I got now.

So I see the equipment we got and my checks I’m quite happy. I can’t sit there and say “what if I screw up?” If you worry or have a lack confidence in your trade you will screw up.

All I’m saying why stay at Saia if you want to be in a union. Go to a union job and stop being bitter here. Do something and change your life. If you hate it there’s union companies to hire onto. Yeah you start at the bottom but that’s life. You want to be union then your gonna have to sacrifice. If not stay and abide by the rules cause they sign the check and it doesn’t bounce.

I’m done with this thread. Good luck to all.
I will make this short a sweet. For a new guy starting out and for those that want it now SAIA is a good choice. UPSF is better overall if you are willing to wait for all it’s benefits. This is the key. Are you willing to wait? Seniors that have been at YRC or ABF .... Holland or any of the other union lines would be a fool to leave. As they say in Texas.... “You leave with the gal that brought you.” They have all the perks that being a senior man brings. Being on the bottom at a union line is where you will stay for awhile. Bad start times... bad runs that no one else wants and dock work. At companies like SAIA you move up very quickly and get almost all benefits up front. It should be easy to see why some prefer the non-union lines. Older men in there 50’s or 60’s would never benefit as much as a younger man. They will run out of time before they ever have the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of be union. And the younger man doesn’t want to wait. He wants everything now! It’s truly a personal choice. It’s a Catch 22 so to speak. As I’ve said many times on here. One big plus of being union is not being hired “at will.” You have rights unlike those of non-union carriers. Beyond that it just depends on how long you are willing to wait. There are a lot of other dynamics the weigh into this but I just wanted to give a brief synopsis of why the Teamsters are struggling in gaining ground in the LTL market.

Last edited:
RoOUlQl.jpg