SAIA | Union

I will make this short a sweet. For a new guy starting out and for those that want it now SAIA is a good choice. UPSF is better overall if you are willing to wait for all it’s benefits. This is the key. Are you willing to wait? Seniors that have been at YRC or ABF .... Holland or any of the other union lines would be a fool to leave. As they say in Texas.... “You leave with the gal that brought you.” They have all the perks that being a senior man brings. Being on the bottom at a union line is where you will stay for awhile. Bad start times... bad runs that no one else wants and dock work. At companies like SAIA you move up very quickly and get almost all benefits up front. It should be easy to see why some prefer the non-union lines. Older men in there 50’s or 60’s would never benefit as much as a younger man. They will run out of time before they ever have the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of be union. And the younger man doesn’t want to wait. He wants everything now! It’s truly a personal choice. It’s a Catch 22 so to speak. As I’ve said many times on here. One big plus of being union is not being hired “at will.” You have rights unlike those of non-union carriers. Beyond that it just depends on how long you are willing to wait. There are a lot of other dynamics the weigh into this but I just wanted to give a brief synopsis of why the Teamsters are struggling in gaining ground in the LTL market.
There's only so many runs/bids in any terminal.......so how does the moving up quickly happen? Seniority? Or everybody magically starts before 8AM on city runs?

There's only so many runs/bids in any terminal.......so how does the moving up quickly happen? Seniority? Or everybody magically starts before 8AM on city runs?
In Dallas ABF or YRC have horrid hours for city guys and you also work the dock. Most non-union jobs start no later than 10am and many earlier even for guys just off the street.

Except, in the real world, I see city guys finishing up & starting out when I’m in the middle of night Linehaul. Not to mention city drops that are offered to Linehaul drivers that have wait time. All the Breaks I know of appear to have 24 hour city work. Always have. I say “appear” because that’s what it looks like. I don’t inquire cuz I don’t really care nor do I need to know it all.

Top pay almost 30hr. CPM around 70. 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal days after ONE YEAR. OT after 45... $12 for single healthcare coverage weekly. $35 family.... and it’s UnitedHealth cares premium plan with $25 office visits. Jury Duty paid for however long it takes. No limit! 401K match to 6% Paid for 2 days for Christmas and Thanksgiving plus 1 for New Years. Plus all the other regular holidays.... Here in Texas the Local 745 is part of Central States so that’s not a selling point. SAIA is a southern carrier that’s now almost completely nationwide. Young men don’t even give much consideration to unionized carriers anymore. Not saying that’s right or wrong... just stating the facts.
My pension is a single payer..it's not threw the teamsters but it's control by UPS... you don't have to be part of the teamsters pension fund if you ever want to go union

YRC is talking 320 a month for union dues for a pension that doesn’t go with your family when you die. A monthly paycheck. I can stack a 401k with that union due and have MY money work for me how I please and pass it on when I die. I’m a jr driver and was able to take vacation in prime time of the year. In a union you’ll bid vacations. Some jr guys won’t see a summer vacation for 15 years. Jr guys will have to vacation in winter. Fun! So I’ll be able to take a summer vacation when I’m old and crusty? F that! Only company in my short 13yrs of trucking and in my entire 41 yrs of life I got canned from was a Union company with a drive cam. I throw up a middle finger to a union.
Good luck to you buddy ,You got at least 30 more years of work ahead of you.Your social security won’t kick in till then.Could shoulda had a collective bargaining agreement.

Contact your nearest Teamster Local

I'm in Chicago area applied to SAIA to get them in trouble for not hiring drivers from Union companies and my attorney's working on a lawsuit for not hiring me I have over a decade experience with doubles no tickets or accidents. Contact the Teamster local in your area tell them you are interested in organizing.
That's funny that you say that. I was at an interview for them and the Manager took a call on speaker while I was there from the lady in Corporate. They were discussing someone who apllied and she said "we can't do anything with him because he worked a union job." I don't know if they have changed that since then. That was about 10 months ago.

U know. As many times this has happened over the years. And from time to time we hear it here.

Why hasn't someone audio or video tape this in job interview? And with this with an attorney. Would have Saia by the balls in a lawsuit?

U know. As many times this has happened over the years. And from time to time we hear it here.

Why hasn't someone audio or video tape this in job interview? And with this with an attorney. Would have Saia by the balls in a lawsuit?

VuSZjS9.jpg

That's funny that you say that. I was at an interview for them and the Manager took a call on speaker while I was there from the lady in Corporate. They were discussing someone who apllied and she said "we can't do anything with him because he worked a union job." I don't know if they have changed that since then. That was about 10 months ago.
More reason to Unionize ask yourself why the company doesn't want a Union? I wish you were able to get a recording of that call for my attorney!

More reason to Unionize ask yourself why the company doesn't want a Union? I wish you were able to get a recording of that call for my attorney!
Yeah, it caught me by surprise and going in I wasn't aware of them not wanting union drivers. That is so wrong.

Likely because of Federal Wiretap legislation...

I agree with your point but with that being said, the aftermath of that situation would be not be something an employee could endure. If it was company wide, anti union posters, etc, it would be challenged easier for sure(and they do know that) that’s why there sly about it. Listen, SAIA isn’t concerned about employees organizing, at least not anywhere but maybe the west(which I know nothing about) and certainly the new northern terminals. It ain’t going to happen in the south, that’s for sure. The best chance imo was when the cameras/ Bluetooth policy started and now those odds are gone. Companies mimic union contracts to prevent us from organizing and apparently it works (not saying I like it)

Most people just don’t want to go up against billion dollar companies!

We certainly gave it a try but haters from a bunch of other companies did everything they could do to tell us just how horrible the idea of unionization was and tear down what we were trying to do here on TB.

The only reason wages are so high in LTL is because there is still a threat of a Union. if YRC, ABF and UPS went under there would be a big pay cut without a contract there is nothing stopping the company from just cutting the pay and benefits with no recourse. I know YRC got screwed but at least they voted for it. It is very hard to get fired at Teamster companies.