SAIA | Union

The only reason wages are so high in LTL is because there is still a threat of a Union. if YRC, ABF and UPS went under there would be a big pay cut without a contract there is nothing stopping the company from just cutting the pay and benefits with no recourse. I know YRC got screwed but at least they voted for it. It is very hard to get fired at Teamster companies.
Have any of you contacted your Teamsters local and asked to start organizing?

The only reason wages are so high in LTL is because there is still a threat of a Union. if YRC, ABF and UPS went under there would be a big pay cut without a contract there is nothing stopping the company from just cutting the pay and benefits with no recourse. I know YRC got screwed but at least they voted for it. It is very hard to get fired at Teamster companies.
True in some regards, but the Teamsters bring nothing to the table these days except a little more job security and free healthcare. It’s simply not enough and FedEx shut the Teamsters down cold. Here in 2019 the non-union companies offer much more and that’s the primary reason they will never organize SAIA or any other major LTL company ever again. What they have is all they will ever get in LTL.

Have any of you contacted your Teamsters local and asked to start organizing?
They would only need more than half the guys at the barn to sign the cards and the Union can put the plan in effect, right?
Yes. Actually legally 50 percent plus 1 card signed. Local's like normally 70-80 percent signed. But can go with 50 plus 1..
The Teamsters have failed it’s members and sold them out. Hoffa Jr. ****ed you guys and it will be a cold day in hell before they ever organize another major LTL player. They are a victim of their own demise and have no one to blame but themselves. They could never get the votes because they have a defective product here in 2019. You fellas are living in the glory days. They are long gone. Stop dwelling in the past and trying to give these guys false hope.

Last edited:
The Teamsters have failed it’s members and sold them out. Hoffa Jr. ****ed you guys and it will be a cold day in hell before they ever organize another major LTL player. They are a victim of their own demise and have no one to blame but themselves. They could never get the votes because they have a defective product here in 2019. You fellas are living in the glory days. They are long gone. Stop dwelling in the past and trying to give these guys false hope.
The defective product is the people.They think a organizing campaign happens overnight and the company will fold.Those people at FedEX .Could not wait.Thats where the company has its advantages, stall tactics.A national organized campaign takes time .Which as Charlotte is concerned.Could not get off the ground.The IBT stood back as if to see if there was any traction to any of the very small campaigns,Most locals were left to bear the costs of organizing.Its a business ,were not going broke over this .We ,as it was told to me before ,Don’t fight a loosing battle,Not enough were for organizing . A IBT organizer.If you don’t like the product Nobody says you have to buy it.

True in some regards, but the Teamsters bring nothing to the table these days except a little more job security and free healthcare. It’s simply not enough and FedEx shut the Teamsters down cold. Here in 2019 the non-union companies offer much more and that’s the primary reason they will never organize SAIA or any other major LTL company ever again. What they have is all they will ever get in LTL.
The union offers job security,work place rules,seniority protections, better pay, top notch insurance that free or low cost, pension and keeps the company honest.

The union offers job security,work place rules,seniority protections, better pay, top notch insurance that free or low cost, pension and keeps the company honest.
If the Teamsters are so great then why aren’t guys running to join? If it’s a better deal then tell me why they couldn’t organize FedEx?

Wrong!! The overall compensation package at FedEx and SAIA are far superior especially upon new hires. It isn’t even close. And the pension you speak of is in big trouble and I’m not just talking about Central States. Some are fully funded now but changes are on the way. Today’s Teamsters are only beneficial for senior guys and the new hires are getting ****ed. If you have time in as a Teamsters you would probably be better served by staying but it’s completely different for new hires. It’s not even close. Are you aware of what UPS Freight starts new hires at?

RAT it's good to see you back defending the very people that ****ed you over.
They did **** me and I chose to leave. No one was forcing me to drive with those cameras in my face. I retired happily and walked away on my terms because I could no longer accept their terms. The Teamsters can’t stop these driver facing cameras from coming forever. The Teamsters can make a futile attempt to stop them but they won’t succeed. The Teamsters will cave like they always do. You know every contract has a “managements rights clause” which gives the company the right to run their operation the way they see fit. The Teamsters are just delaying the inevitable and you know it Joe.

They did :censored: me and I chose to leave. No one was forcing me to drive with those cameras in my face. I retired happily and walked away on my terms because I could no longer accept their terms. The Teamsters can’t stop these driver facing cameras from coming forever. The Teamsters can make a futile attempt to stop them but they won’t succeed. The Teamsters will cave like they always do. You know every contract has a “managements rights clause” which gives the company the right to run their operation the way they see fit. The Teamsters are just delaying the inevitable and you know it Joe.
'fess up, you got fired didn't ya.

Wrong!! The overall compensation package at FedEx and SAIA are far superior especially upon new hires. It isn’t even close. And the pension you speak of is in big trouble and I’m not just talking about Central States. Some are fully funded now but changes are on the way. Today’s Teamsters are only beneficial for senior guys and the new hires are getting ****ed. If you have time in as a Teamsters you would probably be better served by staying but it’s completely different for new hires. It’s not even close. Are you aware of what UPS Freight starts new hires at?
Yes I'm aware of the starting pay I'm also aware of the difference between a single contributory plan versus a multi contributory plan. Our pension is fully funded and fully insured. I'll get around $4,500 a month upon retirement. I'll also continue to recieve my benefits. How about you, will you receive a pension from Saia how about benefits?

Yes I'm aware of the starting pay I'm also aware of the difference between a single contributory plan versus a multi contributory plan. Our pension is fully funded and fully insured. I'll get around $4,500 a month upon retirement. I'll also continue to recieve my benefits. How about you, will you receive a pension from Saia how about benefits?
Well, I hope it stays that way for you. My 401K and IRA are doing fine but with a crash who really knows how it could turn out. I’m debt free and low maintenance and have never lived beyond my means and that’s a good thing. No guarantees in this life brother. I could die tomorrow and so could you.

Well, I hope it stays that way for you. My 401K and IRA are doing fine but with a crash who really knows how it could turn out. I’m debt free and low maintenance and have never lived beyond my means and that’s a good thing. No guarantees in this life brother. I could die tomorrow and so could you.
But don’t die a miserable old bastard.Since you retired ,You mellowed out.Take chill pill every morning.and read.Weblike having you around so we can argue with you.:lmao::omg i gets present by droneguard 1::shakehandsnah:

Who do you drive for? Sounds like a great place.