FedEx Freight | Unionize

Packerfan

TB Lurker
Credits
Now is a great time to unionize FedEx Freight. There's a driver shortage in the industry. They can't make you separate or look for a reason to separate you from the company to unionize. All of you drivers deserve to get better healthcare benefits, a pension and LEGAL protection. Once you get a union in, you will be under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Right now is the time to unionize.

You're going to need more than healthcare, a pension and legal protection to get people on board. I tried, had the conversations and the numbers aren't there.

First and foremost, it's too political. The first thing I would hear is "those damn democrats, I'm not giving them any money". Then it's concern over a single driver board system and finally, the response by FedEx which would be rerouting as much freight as possible to make us starve.

You're going to need more than healthcare, a pension and legal protection to get people on board. I tried, had the conversations and the numbers aren't there.

First and foremost, it's too political. The first thing I would hear is "those damn democrats, I'm not giving them any money". Then it's concern over a single driver board system and finally, the response by FedEx which would be rerouting as much freight as possible to make us starve.
how will they be able to reroute freight when there's a driver shortage? You would be surprised how many Republicans are in unions. People need to stop the political way of thinking. Legal protection has nothing to do with politics. Everyone is entitled to legal protection. There's a huge driver shortage everywhere. You bring a union in, with outstanding pay and benefits. You wouldn't worry about driver shortages. FedEx, lost a lot of great drivers to UPS Parcel. FedEx must compete with UPS to retain great drivers.

how will they be able to reroute freight when there's a driver shortage? You would be surprised how many Republicans are in unions. People need to stop the political way of thinking. Legal protection has nothing to do with politics. Everyone is entitled to legal protection. There's a huge driver shortage everywhere. You bring a union in, with outstanding pay and benefits. You wouldn't worry about driver shortages. FedEx, lost a lot of great drivers to UPS Parcel. FedEx must compete with UPS to retain great drivers.

You're personalizing this and taking it as an attack. I'm telling you what I've been told through the various conversations I've had with employees. I've had a lot of conversations and for ever yes I got, I got 3 nos and those were the main reasons I was given.

Nobody wants their life inconvenienced, especially right now when things are rocky. Driver shortage or not, nobody is offering more than what we get. There has to be more brought to the table if you want them to go that way.

FedEx will reroute freight using more purchase drivers, more rails, bumping up the pay of part time dock workers and paying the overtime of other centers that aren't going this route.

You're personalizing this and taking it as an attack. I'm telling you what I've been told through the various conversations I've had with employees. I've had a lot of conversations and for ever yes I got, I got 3 nos and those were the main reasons I was given.

Nobody wants their life inconvenienced, especially right now when things are rocky. Driver shortage or not, nobody is offering more than what we get. There has to be more brought to the table if you want them to go that way.

FedEx will reroute freight using more purchase drivers, more rails, bumping up the pay of part time dock workers and paying the overtime of other centers that aren't going this route.

If we had a separate union from the teamsters sure. something in house only.

Otherwise yes, it boils down to your side supporting a party that continues to try and destroy our country. And having been a union member in the past its been completely worthless and have seen it protect the worthless non-productive POS people for I think it was $50/week at the time. (Not to say they still don't get fired as is.)

Pro or con union will have much to do with where you are located. North of Mason Dixon line unions appear to have a positive image while in the south unions in general have a negative image due to politics and negative past experience.
I agree that people need to not have politics involved with unions which is why unions must withdraw from any and all political activity. The politicians won’t leave unions until the funds dry up and if unions need political backing to succeed then are they really good for us? Been saying for years to anyone who will listen to union talk (in the south they are few)(just saying the word union would get you tagged by managers as a troublemaker) that when teamsters gets out of lawmaking and lobbying I’ll become interested enough to consider a drive

The why behind this post is so insistent that politics and unions divest them selves of each other is simple. My spiritual beliefs clash with democrat party politics. As long as infanticide is part of dem party platform my conscience won’t allow me be in support of them and since unions almost always give to democrats in can’t have anything to do with them. There are some people who still stand on principle

when teamsters gets out of lawmaking and lobbying I’ll become interested enough to consider a drive
Aren't Teamsters fighting to close the FLSA loophole right now, so we'd all have to be paid hourly? I got nothing against them lobbying for fair treatment for drivers.

I expect a return on my investment. You don't get a portion of my paycheck unless I get MORE back in return. Period. Bottom line.

Prove to me that I'm not simply giving you MY money that will eventually trickle up to the Democrat coffers.

The stage is definitely ripe for the union to come in, but I expect results, and people held accountable if they are not met.

Otherwise, FU. Keep walking, Jack.

I expect a return on my investment. You don't get a portion of my paycheck unless I get MORE back in return. Period. Bottom line.

Prove to me that I'm not simply giving you MY money that will eventually trickle up to the Democrat coffers.

The stage is definitely ripe for the union to come in, but I expect results, and people held accountable if they are not met.

Otherwise, FU. Keep walking, Jack.

I feel you explained my take a bit better.

Tons of good its done for Holland, YRC, ABF & UPS Freight. Totally should get behind that.

Aren't Teamsters fighting to close the FLSA loophole right now, so we'd all have to be paid hourly? I got nothing against them lobbying for fair treatment for drivers.
Unless you are a driver who likes the present mileage pay they are getting. Take a poll of drivers and see. What chafes me is that no one bothered to ask. Another knock on unionization

Unless you are a driver who likes the present mileage pay they are getting. Take a poll of drivers and see. What chafes me is that no one bothered to ask. Another knock on unionization
Do you think drivers would agree to a contact where they were paid less hourly than they're paid in mileage right now? I doubt it.

Eliminating the loophole makes sense. It's a leveling of the labor playing field that'll force every carrier to pay for every minute drivers work. We've got it better than most, but how many years has your TM thrown up the "yeah but they don't get paid as much as we do for fuel/hook/unhook/delay" when people complain about another paltry raise. Ours did it last year, when we were one of the few who *didn't* move up a pay grade and someone brought up that ODFL makes more than we do in mileage and hourly in our market. Putting all carriers on the same pay model removes the smoke and mirrors -- and the excuses -- so often used by management.

Do you think drivers would agree to a contact where they were paid less hourly than they're paid in mileage right now? I doubt it.

Eliminating the loophole makes sense. It's a leveling of the labor playing field that'll force every carrier to pay for every minute drivers work. We've got it better than most, but how many years has your TM thrown up the "yeah but they don't get paid as much as we do for fuel/hook/unhook/delay" when people complain about another paltry raise. Ours did it last year, when we were one of the few who *didn't* move up a pay grade and someone brought up that ODFL makes more than we do in mileage and hourly in our market. Putting all carriers on the same pay model removes the smoke and mirrors -- and the excuses -- so often used by management.
Can the company do better? Definitely. Yrc workers agreed to a contract that gives them less than fdxf workers are making and they are all paid hourly. Have you seen the equipment they have to work with? It’s garbage in my area. Not a strong rallying point

I agree with both Packerfan and Streaker.

Now is definitely the time to try due to what is going on in the industry..

But I stand behind Streaker because I was present and seeing what he wanted to do and it failed.. so many will say yeah yeah yeah and then never do anything and you put your face out there for nothing in return