FedEx Freight | Unionize

Short answer….deregulation in 1980. Industry was almost entirely unionized in the regulated environment. One by one , union carriers started to fall by the wayside once it became a deregulated free market. For whatever reason they had a hard time being competitive
The union carriers fell by the wayside because of all the non-union companies that started operating and undercutting wages and benefits that the union carriers were paying their workers. It's not rocket science. It's the same reason manufacturing has moved to the Far East where companies pay minuscule wages compared to operating here in the US.

Why do you think drivers today make nowhere near what we made decades ago relatively speaking? When most of ltl trucking was union, pay and benefit increases were applied equally across all union companies so it didn't pit one company against another. Today workers at any one company have a difficult time getting increases since increased labor costs for that company put them at a disadvantage compared to other companies. It amazes me that these days when there are big driver shortages workers don't see the power we would have over the whole industry if we were organized. What a wasted opportunity. If all of us at all the major ltl companies would just band together and insist on better wages or else we would shut down the whole industry what power we would have. And in that way we would get increases since ALL the carriers would be in the same boat and would all have to raise their rates to compensate for the higher labor costs. Like I said, these times will be a huge missed opportunity if we foolishly let it pass.

Back in the 70's,and 80's, union carriers were content with OR's in the 90's. When the non union companies started to emerge after deregulation, the companies and the union did not try to adapt to changes in the industry to compete. The biggest disadvantage was the company and union did not try to streamline work rules, change from the hub and spoke distribution system, upgrade to a more efficient direct loading and relay system. Too much handling of freight creates more damage, and kills service. And paying 2 people to do one job, with 1 person sitting in the breakroom, getting paid to complain, while someone else is getting paid for hooking, loading, fueling, or wasting more time does not help either. Nor would I want to guess how many millions YRC has paid the banks in interest payments the last 15 years.
Hold on there pardner, I enjoyed every moment sitting on the clock while someone else switched.

The pension contributions made on my behalf by my employer are at a rate of $68.40 per day worked ($342.00 per week). This is my projected pension at age 62 and 3 months in 2025 with 32 years worked.

6F681BF1-36D4-4659-9CC3-972580294F01.md.jpg
my 401k plus my pension superseeds what your getting by far for over 32yrs. hell,i have 24yrs yrs and now and have more than that.

my 401k plus my pension superseeds what your getting by far for over 32yrs. hell,i have 24yrs yrs and now and have more than that.
That is my pension only that I have never paid a dime for. If I included my 401K, I seriously doubt your retirement would be worth more. Plus, as I already stated, I have not paid in a single dime of my own money for that pension. How much has been contributed to your pension only that was paid on your behalf?

Last edited:
All we have to do is look at Fedex Pilots.Fedex pilots are the highest paid pilots in the industry and its all because they have a union.Fedex looks at us like dumb truck driver because what we let them get away with.From everything from are raises to benefits to even if we have an accident we are judged by people who have never drove a truck.I am trying to educate my co-workers first about a union for us so they truly can see for themselves. This waiting on FedEx to decide if they going to be fair has gotten old and I don't care if we are the only unionized terminal besides Stockton,Ca.Im tired of complaining its time to plan I know we can get better here at Fedex Freight we just have to educate each other.If Amazon can start there on Union fedex can also!

If it works out for you I say great.

I'll be looking for a different outfit if the union comes around. I've worked under the teamsters utter incompetence once and really don't care to give it another go. (Not to mention thier horrible taste for national politics) The Best option would be a union outside the teamsters as that'd probably gather more steam than anything else if you were to want a serious effort since pretty much the entire midwest votes R.

If it works out for you I say great.

I'll be looking for a different outfit if the union comes around. I've worked under the teamsters utter incompetence once and really don't care to give it another go. (Not to mention thier horrible taste for national politics) The Best option would be a union outside the teamsters as that'd probably gather more steam than anything else if you were to want a serious effort since pretty much the entire midwest votes R.

I worked for a non-union company 12 years back, speaking of utter incompetence.

All we have to do is look at Fedex Pilots.Fedex pilots are the highest paid pilots in the industry and its all because they have a union.Fedex looks at us like dumb truck driver because what we let them get away with.From everything from are raises to benefits to even if we have an accident we are judged by people who have never drove a truck.I am trying to educate my co-workers first about a union for us so they truly can see for themselves. This waiting on FedEx to decide if they going to be fair has gotten old and I don't care if we are the only unionized terminal besides Stockton,Ca.Im tired of complaining its time to plan I know we can get better here at Fedex Freight we just have to educate each other.If Amazon can start there on Union fedex can also!
As to being judged at FedEx for an accident by people who have never driven a truck. Driver Safety Review boards are composed of the following mix of people. 2 current drivers with at least 10 years of safe driving, 2 members of management that are former drivers, and 1 safety person who doesn’t have to have driving experience. All of the DSR panel will be from a different region than the driver that is being reviewed. If you want us to “Educate” each other, you should have your facts straight.

Pretty much all commercial pilots are in a union, not like FedEx had a choice there.

If you think FedEx is going to play ball with a single unionized building, you're wrong. They'll reroute freight as they make negotiating impossible to make an example out of you. Know what you're asking for and what your brining on your coworkers before you start pushing for something.

That's 90% due to whatever 401 contribution you've made. The pension won't account for 15% of that.

The FX pension is beyond laughable.

When I left, I had 15yrs with Fx.
Total pension after 15yrs was $15,400.
Assuming I stayed till 62, it would barely be $100k

$100k after 35yrs of service.

On top of that, that's just his pension.
Let him add in his 401,then compare again.

As to being judged at FedEx for an accident by people who have never driven a truck. Driver Safety Review boards are composed of the following mix of people. 2 current drivers with at least 10 years of safe driving, 2 members of management that are former drivers, and 1 safety person who doesn’t have to have driving experience. All of the DSR panel will be from a different region than the driver that is being reviewed. If you want us to “Educate” each other, you should have your facts straight.
In my area we was told that there are no more Driver Safety Review Panel. If you appeal a accident it is sent to a FSA in another area to review and they determine not a panel anymore not saying your wrong but FedEx Management must be lying .

In my area we was told that there are no more Driver Safety Review Panel. If you appeal a accident it is sent to a FSA in another area to review and they determine not a panel anymore not saying your wrong but FedEx Management must be lying .
I am a driver who is on the DSR panel. They are wrong.

Back in the 70's,and 80's, union carriers were content with OR's in the 90's. When the non union companies started to emerge after deregulation, the companies and the union did not try to adapt to changes in the industry to compete. The biggest disadvantage was the company and union did not try to streamline work rules, change from the hub and spoke distribution system, upgrade to a more efficient direct loading and relay system. Too much handling of freight creates more damage, and kills service. And paying 2 people to do one job, with 1 person sitting in the breakroom, getting paid to complain, while someone else is getting paid for hooking, loading, fueling, or wasting more time does not help either. Nor would I want to guess how many millions YRC has paid the banks in interest payments the last 15 years.
For the most part that is accurate. But in the 60s, 70s and 80s apa was running at anywhere from 78 to 72 OR. The Imperatores have the money to prove it. When you were running the line and you got delay pay, some supervisor's ass was going to be in a sling. They were happy as hell that the union was there. Right there in black and white, all the rules applied equally to everyone. I know because I tried to skirt them a couple of times. Held every employee accountable, not just union employees. It was able to be done. Then the second generation came on. Game over. It is the same thing we see with the WW 2 vets. They were willing to sacrifice for the greater good. What are any of us willing to sacrifice now if there were a shutdown? I'm guessing at least 75 % of drivers today are living pay check to pay check. Those folks aren't going to be willing to sacrifice. I'm no better, believe me, but until there is a majority mindset that if we stick together we can get a better deal, we're just filling time venting on TB.

For the most part that is accurate. But in the 60s, 70s and 80s apa was running at anywhere from 78 to 72 OR. The Imperatores have the money to prove it. When you were running the line and you got delay pay, some supervisor's ass was going to be in a sling. They were happy as hell that the union was there. Right there in black and white, all the rules applied equally to everyone. I know because I tried to skirt them a couple of times. Held every employee accountable, not just union employees. It was able to be done. Then the second generation came on. Game over. It is the same thing we see with the WW 2 vets. They were willing to sacrifice for the greater good. What are any of us willing to sacrifice now if there were a shutdown? I'm guessing at least 75 % of drivers today are living pay check to pay check. Those folks aren't going to be willing to sacrifice. I'm no better, believe me, but until there is a majority mindset that if we stick together we can get a better deal, we're just filling time venting on TB.
It's not that hard, "UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL ", young guys don't get it

It's not that hard, "UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL ", young guys don't get it

That's an interesting take considering a lot of the younger guys weren't around when the older guys had an opportunity to vote in a union. What happened with that, again? I forget.