FedEx Freight | Unionize

I have found that people endorsing union membership are mostly either union reps or people who have never been in a union.
I was a dues-paying member of Teamsters local 878 for 9 years before i was hired by American Freightways and I can honestly say be careful what you wish for.
The union cares first and foremost about the union, not the rank and file workers it is supposed to represent. Ive seen way too many examples to list here, but one in particular stands out in my mind.

One year during contract negotiations, the union brought to us their contract they had negotiated on our behalf. It boiled down to a twenty cent per hour pay CUT. When the vote was counted it was obviously voted down. The second vote was a yes or no whether to go on strike. The vote was YES. The union replied they would not sanction the strike. When we protested we were told that the contract was a "great deal" and if we didnt like it we should go find another job, case closed. That's how much the union cares about the workers. Just sayin'. :(
the union cares about themselves. so does fedex freight. they dont care about there employees. ok fine, at least give me pension and a 30 years and out gift.

We are still union. We still have a pension. We still have 30 and out. And we still have top notch medical/dental.

I just said that company doesn't exist anymore, because it doesn't.

What is it with the union guys? Every time somebody mentions a union company you have to run in and mention health insurance and a pension. Like they can do no wrong because they offer you health insurance and a pension. It's like talking to a Tesla owner.

What is it with the union guys? Every time somebody mentions a union company you have to run in and mention health insurance and a pension. Like they can do no wrong because they offer you health insurance and a pension. It's like talking to a Tesla owner.
We have a good idea what your co-pays and weekly costs are. Just sayin'....

Or a vegan

Visitor here. We’ve hired half dozen new, younger city guys this year. As these greenhorns seem to think they deserve the newer trucks, good routes, etc. I wonder if this behavior isn’t a union deterrent. You know, where seniority is real & enforceable.

Edit: T Force having 30 & out is news to me. IMO, 30 & out and pension is the job to get as a young man. Unfortunately, in today’s separate & conquer contract negotiations, a new hire has no guarantee the current terms will remain. Offer enough to those hired before the year that makes the math work, company can rob the rest, i.e. step rate/less max rate or City hourly vs Line mileage.

Last edited:
Visitor here. We’ve hired half dozen new, younger city guys this year. As these greenhorns seem to think they deserve the newer trucks, good routes, etc. I wonder if this behavior isn’t a union deterrent. You know, where seniority is real & enforceable.

Edit: T Force having 30 & out is news to me. IMO, 30 & out and pension is the job to get as a young man. Unfortunately, in today’s separate & conquer contract negotiations, a new hire has no guarantee the current terms will remain. Offer enough to those hired before the year that makes the math work, company can rob the rest, i.e. step rate/less max rate or City hourly vs Line mileage.
You're fully vested after 5 years. For every year you work $110 goes toward you pension for example you start at TForce at 60 and retire at 65 you'd get $550 per month.

You're fully vested after 5 years. For every year you work $110 goes toward you pension for example you start at TForce at 60 and retire at 65 you'd get $550 per month.

That doesn't sound great... If you work there 30 years you get 3300 a month. That's not a lot now, I can imagine how little it's worth in 30 years.

And you currently get how much of your pension contributions paid on your behalf and draw how much at 30 years?

No pension. 130 % 401K match, plus a higher pay rate that allows me to invest money how I see fit. You may be comfortable relying on a pension rate that's rapidly being outpaced by inflation, but I'm certainly not.

I'm not even expecting social security to still be a thing by the time I'm eligible for retirement. That means I would have to survive on 3300 a month, because the union pay rate doesn't pay enough for me to have enough disposable income to invest.