XPO | Upcoming Conference Call

When trucking companies tell businesses how they are to operate , they can find themselves kicked out the door. I do agree that freight has to be back at the service centerand worked to meet cut times. Most places is not conserned that it will not go out that night unless it iis a hot shipment . But they do want it picked up and off their dock, therefore you need a dedicated late pick up route to cover those situations.

When trucking companies tell businesses how they are to operate , they can find themselves kicked out the door. I do agree that freight has to be back at the service centerand worked to meet cut times. Most places is not conserned that it will not go out that night unless it iis a hot shipment . But they do want it picked up and off their dock, therefore you need a dedicated late pick up route to cover those situations.
I've heard the same thing from customers, they just want it off their dock. Same as taking a via off the fac that you know you can't make in time, as long as your daipatched, the rest is on you!

Just the other day, I ordered something on line and paid for expedited shipping. The package sat overnight at the FedEx origin terminal because it didn't make the cut off time.

On an unrelated note I noticed that XPO Logistics rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange today.

That's great. That's exactly why I said this in my previous post......"They need the dock work to be optional, not forced."

Some people want the dock work for the extra money, but others just want to drive the trucks and go home since money isn't the driving force in the life. "Optional" is the key word. That keeps everyone happy.
:1036316054:
I think that's workable. Dock work could be offered by driver service rank (seniority) If they cannot get enough guys to work the dock, say on the outbound, then they can force from the bottom of the seniority board until all the towmotors are seated.

Short runs requires dock work to get your hours in, which makes perfect sense. But for those pushing the maximum hours and miles every day, many of them would like the option to work the dock or not. It's the same at every company that requires dock work.
Somehow OD has made their system work.
Most of OD's dock people are part time. Careful what you ask for.

I don't see any reason why you guys don't get it. We do the same job and drive the same trucks and probably even go to work at the same times and yet you don't get overtime and others do.
Does FedEx pay driver's in it's southern region OT after 8 and after 40?

I remember working at CSE back in early '95 at $10.00 an hour straight time...Went to AF and started out at $14.25 an hour with time and a half with anything over 40. I thought I had hit the lottery LOL. Maybe it's changed but back then they treated people like crap at the CSE terminal in Charlotte. CDL meant certified dock laborer to them.

The #1 question I would legitimately ask is why they are so poor at communication. Communication is horrible in this company.
many agree that communication is poor but management has heard this so often. Examples of specifics are needed to bring facts to a discussion for change

many agree that communication is poor but management has heard this so often. Examples of specifics are needed to bring facts to a discussion for change
Oh, that's an easy one. How about from the very first conference call brad Jacobs had with all the tm's... They were mandated, not an option, to sit down with all employees and relay the info to us. How many came on here after and said WTF are you guys talking about? We never heard that!

Oh, that's an easy one. How about from the very first conference call brad Jacobs had with all the tm's... They were mandated, not an option, to sit down with all employees and relay the info to us. How many came on here after and said WTF are you guys talking about? We never heard that!

When our SCM came back from the 2015 Ops Summit in St. Louis, he gave us basically nothing of what the grand plans that Jacobs and Brooks had for our company going forward. Our TM told us that he was sworn to secrecy not to reveal the really big and good stuff to any of us dsr bottom feeders.
To me, their lack of transparency w/us drivers really begs the question...Where's the meaningful communication that matters, tells us what the big picture is, clues us in????? Why? ...so that we can have hope that this executive team won't blow it like the upper echelon of Conway did.

I wonder how we're doing with those, um, "ambitious" safety goals. 50% reduction, I believe it was. I haven't heard any updates, and it sounds like we're running into things and dropping trailers at about the same rate as we always have in my area.

Wait a while SG...the reduction will be forthcoming. Why do I say that? Well, not only do guys get points for incidents, but now there is a sit down immediately w/ a manager to put pressure on offenders to brainstorm and be coached on how it happened and how to prevent it from happening again the next time. Haven't had anything happen to me since the new safety reduction goal has been put in place by XPO,( knock on wood), but I'd be totally embarrassed and humiliated to have to sit through one of those sessions. And I suspect that that is what management's intent is w/ drivers in order to get their reduction.

I think that's workable. Dock work could be offered by driver service rank (seniority) If they cannot get enough guys to work the dock, say on the outbound, then they can force from the bottom of the seniority board until all the towmotors are seated.
You're right. FORCING the bottom drivers is the only option when you have empty forklifts. But then with so many dock guys getting laid off, that means that MORE drivers will be FORCED to work the dock to cover for the missing dock workers.
And there lies the problem. A lot of people will not go to work at XPO because of the FORCED dock work. And those on the bottom that are constantly working the dock against their will, will give the company a sad farewell.
:sadwavey:

Haven't had anything happen to me since the new safety reduction goal has been put in place by XPO,( knock on wood), but I'd be totally embarrassed and humiliated to have to sit through one of those sessions.
Personally, the way I look at it, I'm embarrassed to have to be talked to (or coached) about anything. When you've been doing this type of job for as long as many of us have, we should be ashamed or embarrassed when we screw up, not just with driving, but screwing anything up.
I guess that I've always taken pride in my work and not needing a damn babysitter.
Maybe I'm weird.
:idunno: