XPO | Upcoming Conference Call

vetran peddleman

FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY
Credits
Our I/B FOS informed us today that there will be some sort of Q&A venting conference call coming up soon. I think he said that it would be put on a pod cast or something like that. Anyway he said ,"if you have any questions concerning your company, then submit them to your SCM so he can fire them off during the call."

Just wondering...any of you guys have an good questions to ask management on this conference call?

Let the big dogs know that they need to develop a system where the drivers actually drive and aren't forced to work the dock for hours and hours every day. They need the dock work to be optional, not forced. I have heard lots of people complain about not wanting to work the dock, so they refuse to work at XPO/Conway.
From what I hear, they are actually going backwards on this idea though, since they are getting rid of dock workers, which only FORCES more drivers to the dock. Sure, some like the dock for the extra hours, but some hate it and would rather go home.
Old Dominion has a well oiled machine and happy drivers, they might want to consider following the same strategy.
:coffee1:

Let the big dogs know that they need to develop a system where the drivers actually drive and aren't forced to work the dock for hours and hours every day. They need the dock work to be optional, not forced. I have heard lots of people complain about not wanting to work the dock, so they refuse to work at XPO/Conway.
From what I hear, they are actually going backwards on this idea though, since they are getting rid of dock workers, which only FORCES more drivers to the dock. Sure, some like the dock for the extra hours, but some hate it and would rather go home.
Old Dominion has a well oiled machine and happy drivers, they might want to consider following the same strategy.
I don't run enough miles to not work the dock. Between 300-400 a night. If they were to increase miles, driving is fine with me, though the dock work does break up the night.

Short runs requires dock work to get your hours in, which makes perfect sense. But for those pushing the maximum hours and miles every day, many of them would like the option to work the dock or not. It's the same at every company that requires dock work.
Somehow OD has made their system work.

Maybe they have dock workers that actually work and are not in the bathroom stall on their cell phone or hanging out in the office up managements azz... they need dock workers that work from midnight till 8 or 9 in the morning to help with inbound so drivers can get on the street do their job and get back so outbound can get drivers out on time, also cut off pickups earlier and not getting back 7 or 8 o'clock

Conway was set up by design for drivers to handle the freight. It was built around the then 15 hour work rule. Now it's 14 hour rule and trailers are stuffed due to safe stack etc , that requires longer times to complete the FAC process. Some companies have a dual system in place being Hub, basically the same as Con ways handling next day freight and Linehaul ( Break bulk) witch is more long haul points. Linehaul drivers do not touch the dock , Hub drivers work it every night.

Sorry dude I like working the dock that's why I work for XPO

Maybe they have dock workers that actually work and are not in the bathroom stall on their cell phone or hanging out in the office up managements azz... they need dock workers that work from midnight till 8 or 9 in the morning to help with inbound so drivers can get on the street do their job and get back so outbound can get drivers out on time, also cut off pickups earlier and not getting back 7 or 8 o'clock

Was told at my barn that that is precisely what they want to do...cut off all pics by something like 16:00 so all o/b can leave their sic early and come back to their barns early so p/d can wrap up early... not at 11:00 AM or later. Sounds good on the drawing board, but it's never works in all the years that I've been w/ this company.

Was told at my barn that that is precisely what they want to do...cut off all pics by something like 16:00 so all o/b can leave their sic early and come back to their barns early so p/d can wrap up early... not at 11:00 AM or later. Sounds good on the drawing board, but it's never works in all the years that I've been w/ this company.
Your going to tell a national account, " sorry. It's after 4. See you tomorrow." Your right. It's never worked. They need to develop a dedicated dock force. Not keep hiring bodies with a pulse. Develop them. Give them stability. Give them a reason to want to do a good job. Will it happen? Nope. Costs money.

Your going to tell a national account, " sorry. It's after 4. See you tomorrow." Your right. It's never worked. They need to develop a dedicated dock force. Not keep hiring bodies with a pulse. Develop them. Give them stability. Give them a reason to want to do a good job. Will it happen? Nope. Costs money.

Yeah UN...seriously, that's what my TM said, " we'll pick up our customer's late call in pick-ups, but if we do so after hours,(late afternoon),...then they'll be too late to be put into that night's L/H plan, but will instead sit at that local sic till the next night's L/H.
Now whether my TM was just talking trash to try to make us move faster than we already do, or was dead serious...you make the call.

Conway was set up by design for drivers to handle the freight. It was built around the then 15 hour work rule. Now it's 14 hour rule and trailers are stuffed due to safe stack etc , that requires longer times to complete the FAC process.
I think that some of these company leaders need to swallow their pride (and ego) and look closely at what the other successful companies are doing as a model. I hate to bring up Old Dominion again, but they are sitting pretty at the top of the LTL world and they didn't just get there this week. Their model is working perfectly when it comes to employee satisfaction and operating ratio.
I realize that XPO/Conway and some others were designed based on certain rules and standards, but times have changed and they need to evolve. Dinosaurs didn't evolve with the changing times, and I think we all know what happened to them.

Sorry dude I like working the dock that's why I work for XPO
That's great. That's exactly why I said this in my previous post......"They need the dock work to be optional, not forced."

Some people want the dock work for the extra money, but others just want to drive the trucks and go home since money isn't the driving force in the life. "Optional" is the key word. That keeps everyone happy.
:1036316054:

Getting the city guys back early would also require forcing people to do their job to the best of their ability and spank their ass for dragging their feet.(which is never going to happen) For decades, I've watch the clock suckers drag their feet because they want extra hours, but don't want to work the dock. Somehow some people have always had an exemption when it comes to actually doing a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

Yeah UN...seriously, that's what my TM said, " we'll pick up our customer's late call in pick-ups, but if we do so after hours,(late afternoon),...then they'll be too late to be put into that night's L/H plan, but will instead sit at that local sic till the next night's L/H.
Now whether my TM was just talking trash to try to make us move faster than we already do, or was dead serious...you make the call.
"Service" is what used to set us apart. It's pretty rare for us to pick up freight and not move it on the same day. Maybe if we get a late trailer from Yankee Candle, but it's got to be pretty late. Cut off times for p/u's gets talked about, but it's just that, talk!

Getting the city guys back early would also require forcing people to do their job to the best of their ability and spank their ass for dragging their feet.(which is never going to happen) For decades, I've watch the clock suckers drag their feet because they want extra hours, but don't want to work the dock. Somehow some people have always had an exemption when it comes to actually doing a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.
That almost sounds like accountability driver! We can't have that now, can we? Glad to hear we're not the only ones with that problem!

That almost sounds like accountability driver! We can't have that now, can we? Glad to hear we're not the only ones with that problem!
It's everywhere Bro. We've become a society that doesn't appreciate anything, complains about everything, and always looks for a way to avoid actually working for our money.
I think that I was born in the wrong era.
:idunno:

Your going to tell a national account, " sorry. It's after 4. See you tomorrow." Your right. It's never worked. They need to develop a dedicated dock force. Not keep hiring bodies with a pulse. Develop them. Give them stability. Give them a reason to wa,nt to do a good job. Will it happen? Nope. Costs money.
yeah, UPS does it, the postal service does. And no not to say we wont pick it up today, that it just wont move today or they need to have their frt ready for pickup earlier