ABF | Update on Discharge tied to Fred

Dgwol17

TB Lurker
Credits
As reported on this Forum on 7/2/2013, the Dock worker from the Carlisle Pa 042 Terminal, who was discharged after getting into a heated discussion about the ABF Contract with the President of Teamsters Local 776, Fred Wilson, has lost his case after 6 long months of trying to resolve it. This man was a long time Employee of ABF and also a long standing Member of the Teamsters. To make matters worse, the BA who handled this case, Marty Parson, recommended this guy for work at YRC, and he was pounding the dock, pending the outcome of his hearing. As soon as the discharge was upheld, he lost that job, also. All because of a discrepancy on his application, which was probably brought to light during the hearings down at Myrtle Beach, as the YRC Labor people were there at the same time. Needless to say, now this guy is really out in the cold ! Can't help to think that this matter could have been resolved immediately after the incident, but instead we lost another good Teamster.

Fired ?

As reported on this Forum on 7/2/2013, the Dock worker from the Carlisle Pa 042 Terminal, who was discharged after getting into a heated discussion about the ABF Contract with the President of Teamsters Local 776, Fred Wilson, has lost his case after 6 long months of trying to resolve it. This man was a long time Employee of ABF and also a long standing Member of the Teamsters. To make matters worse, the BA who handled this case, Marty Parson, recommended this guy for work at YRC, and he was pounding the dock, pending the outcome of his hearing. As soon as the discharge was upheld, he lost that job, also. All because of a discrepancy on his application, which was probably brought to light during the hearings down at Myrtle Beach, as the YRC Labor people were there at the same time. Needless to say, now this guy is really out in the cold ! Can't help to think that this matter could have been resolved immediately after the incident, but instead we lost another good Teamster.

Am I reading this correctly?
ABF employee under a CBA argues with the IBT Local President and gets fired?
How about a little more details. Something is missing here.
And it was up-held?
Any recourse thru a Labor Lawyer?
Have all his appeals thru the IBT system been exhausted?
Did the IBT pay for an arbitrator?

Discharge tied to Fred

Am I reading this correctly?
ABF employee under a CBA argues with the IBT Local President and gets fired?
How about a little more details. Something is missing here.
And it was up-held?
Any recourse thru a Labor Lawyer?
Have all his appeals thru the IBT system been exhausted?
Did the IBT pay for an Arbitrator

The incident occurred during the Contract meetings held at the ABF terminal in Carlisle Pa, attended by IBT and Local 776 officers, along with all Employees present at that time. The disagreement ended in a bit of qaa shoving match between Pres Fred and the Employee. Unfortunatly the whole incident was caught on Company camera, and ABF deemed it "Workplace Violence". As far as if all avenuesa have been exhausted ? I don't know, but I would hope the Fired Employee would check into all options. I know this fellow Teamster has apologized repeatedly for his actions, and I can't help to think that a simple hand shake between these two guys, would have resolved the issue. His fellow workers don't even consider him a threat. They even signed a petition supporting him.

OK, there was shoving, who shoved first? And it's on camera so there should be no dispute on what happened. In a case of workplace violence, as is with sexual harassment, the company has to take a strong stance or they will have troubles of their own. Now, there is not doubt that the case was heard by a jury of the Union Officer's peers and that would be inappropriate in this case. Unfortunately the cost for him to pursue any other avenue will prove to be cost prohibitive. Sorry to hear the man lost his job and hope he makes it through this OK.

He is fired!! Violated the IBT Constitution as well as ABF workplace rules and the law.. I hate the new contract and the IBT,, but he is Fired!!

Camera did its justice. You see there? Abf and employees don't want that behavior here.
Yep,your a driver... I see you took your training wheels off & ventured over to the yrc board. I'm sure you will give them much needed advice....

Last edited by a moderator:
In this instance I have to agree with Rollin. The ONLY time unwanted touching is allowed is when ‘you are defending yourself or someone else.’ No one has the right to force their opinion on you with physical force! I hate it for the teamster but you can argue your point without touching. When ABF was asking for a pay cut Ken Bryant (IBT regional freight director) asked to have me removed from local 728 union hall. When Tyson Johnson was at local 728 asking for an additional 5% pay cut for YRC, he and I got into a shouting match about what it would do to the freight industry. Neither time was I in danger of losing my job but neither time did I even think about touching either man. I’m 50 not 15! How old was this teamster?

Because he deserves a fair hearing, not a kangaroo court,....Because his family is relying on the Union to give him a fair hearing,...not a kangaroo court,....Because ,...apparently,...everything that was done,...pushing and shoving and shouting,....had nothing to do with the company, and everything to do with "Fred",....but the company took advantage of the situation to remove someone with an "undesirable".......to the company,....opinion. Opinions aren't illegal. Did the company permanently disbar "Fred" from the property,...for being involved with workplace violence, and potentially causing it? Or was there collusion between the company and "Fred" to remove a dissenter with an undesirable opinion.? I know this is hard for you to understand, Rollin, my boy,....coming from Conway,...where intimidation and kangaroo courts and hiding your "undesirable" opinions are the norm, but you're going to have to adjust your thinking and possibly ,.......actually read the contract,....the Local Union's Bylaws,......that is, if you're a Union member,.......and maybe the International Constitution, and the Weingarten Rights ruling,.....which is required to be posted at every Union workplace. Working people Do have rights,...beyond a reasonable doubt,....at least the Union people do................And,.....why would you call that man a...."pos"? You don't know him,..or the situation,....you don't even know 'Fred",.....but you've already judged him on the basis of the companies' opinion of him?....And you keep telling us you're not management.......with an attitude like that, do you need to wonder why we doubt you?

The man demonstrated he is unstable when arguments gets heated. Is he gonna demonstrate this behavior at a customer? In uniform in public? At a union meeting again? We don't know which makes him a liability. Like I said before, he's unstable in his own flesh which makes his behavior unpredictable. With facts like that, it doesn't take kangaroo court or by laws to figure this guys card. Don't let the door hit cha on the way out.

You're talking about Teamsters here not at will employees like at Conway. The union works for the members and isn't suppose to try and dictate how Teamsters vote. Violence in the workplace cannot be tolerated but something could have been worked out for just a shove. The union should have seen to it that the dockman wasn't fired. But two were involved and if the discharge sticks then Fred should have been banned from ABF property.