FedEx Freight | Update To Your Future.

truckingBORED

Careering down the road to AUTONOMY!
Credits
https://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-innovation/automated-vehicles-safety

0OILxHo.jpg

3bev22J.jpg

It’s time to accept the reality of this transition and get our finances in order!

What will YOU do when handed the keys to a truck that steers itself?

Personally, I dont think a 35yr old road driver will be able to retire before his job is eliminated.

40yr old for City.

It's coming, and faster than we want to admit.

... And for those that say "Yuh, but, but let's see a computer blindside back into an alley dock!!"

We have long range strike bombers that can fly missions completely unmanned. Take off, hit targets with surgical precision, refuel in air, and land.

And you think backing a trailer will be the hurdle?

" Yuh, but, but lets see a computer break down a skit, and do an inside delivery !"

Sub out grunts that simply ride along, who's sole purpose is doing the actual delivery. Pay them ::shit::, with weak benefits.

I encourage all sub-25yr old guys to get their ass back in school, and away from driving as a career.

Ignorance isn’t bliss, it’s just ignorance. Don’t buy the BS line on “trains and planes”.

Companies will save over 30 percent ELIMINATING us, that’s the reason they are investing billions! It isn’t to improve quality of life. It’s their egoic desire for power and control.

The warm and fuzzy packaging is just to keep us all complacent, while providing enough time for the rollout to be complete.

Frankly, I’m all for it! I accept that the overlords pity me for all the long hours in dangerous conditions that I’ve invested over the years. I eagerly await the helicopter money they will offer me to go away!

So, the mark goes on my head OR hand? My choice? Please tattoo it on my middle finger. Thanks.

Personally, I dont think a 35yr old road driver will be able to retire before his job is eliminated.

40yr old for City.

It's coming, and faster than we want to admit.

... And for those that say "Yuh, but, but let's see a computer blindside back into an alley dock!!"

We have long range strike bombers that can fly missions completely unmanned. Take off, hit targets with surgical precision, refuel in air, and land.

And you think backing a trailer will be the hurdle?

" Yuh, but, but lets see a computer break down a skit, and do an inside delivery !"

Sub out grunts that simply ride along, who's sole purpose is doing the actual delivery. Pay them :::shit:::, with weak benefits.

I encourage all sub-25yr old guys to get their ass back in school, and away from driving as a career.
Road drivers could be out but im not buying the city. Its not 1 dock in an alley. Its 20 plus in schools parking lots, gas wells and other areas that arent on maps yet. I got new gas sites every couple of weeks, good luck with finding them when they dont have an actual address and on roads that look like hiking trails. This isnt a personal car going to a grocery store.

I'm not saying it will not happen, there's alot of money behind it. It will be interesting when one of these things have an accident, if there's no driver to take the fall. The liability to the possible parties at fault will be a lawyer's dream. Deep pockets to go after. That's the only reason I can see us being in the truck, not being able to do anything but ride and take the blame for some glitch.

I'm not saying it will not happen, there's alot of money behind it. It will be interesting when one of these things have an accident, if there's no driver to take the fall. The liability to the possible parties at fault will be a lawyer's dream. Deep pockets to go after. That's the only reason I can see us being in the truck, not being able to do anything but ride and take the blame for some glitch.
When one of the driverless cars hit someone they stop for 2 or 3 months from road testing. If a tractor trailer hits someone it will be interesting to see the public pressure on these companies.

I seriously doubt we will ever see totally independent trucks on the road for a number of reasons. while a computer might be faster, humans are more perceptive to changing conditions, we have all caught something out of the corner of your eye, or just, due to experience been able to adjust to avoid a "you're never gonna believe what just happened" moment. My last one was a car that I knew was going to blow a red light, I slowed before the intersection and he flew through. A computer can't think it can only react, when the moment comes when the slush turns to ice what will it do? When that drunk ahead of you bounces off the barrier and into your lane will the computer observe and predict what might happen? What about the 15 year old in the basement with a laptop? Somewhere there is a hole in the system someone will find, a 200 truck pile-up on I-95, a hacker hero. If this will really happen it will always require a "driver", probably minimum wage with a checklist of what to do if so and so happens do this, then that. P&D work will always need a driver in control, too many variables, can't imagine a self-driver weaving through downtown traffic, knowing what door to hit, and on and on. The lawyers will have a field day. Self driving lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners good, 40 ton ghost trucks, not good.

I seriously doubt we will ever see totally independent trucks on the road for a number of reasons. while a computer might be faster, humans are more perceptive to changing conditions, we have all caught something out of the corner of your eye, or just, due to experience been able to adjust to avoid a "you're never gonna believe what just happened" moment. My last one was a car that I knew was going to blow a red light, I slowed before the intersection and he flew through. A computer can't think it can only react, when the moment comes when the slush turns to ice what will it do? When that drunk ahead of you bounces off the barrier and into your lane will the computer observe and predict what might happen? What about the 15 year old in the basement with a laptop? Somewhere there is a hole in the system someone will find, a 200 truck pile-up on I-95, a hacker hero. If this will really happen it will always require a "driver", probably minimum wage with a checklist of what to do if so and so happens do this, then that. P&D work will always need a driver in control, too many variables, can't imagine a self-driver weaving through downtown traffic, knowing what door to hit, and on and on. The lawyers will have a field day. Self driving lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners good, 40 ton ghost trucks, not good.
Won’t be a driver though, Crum. The autonomous people call them,”techs” already.And yes, you are right on the wages. They will pay tech wages, like the cable tv tech,(contractor) who stops at your house....

I think most people when they hear someone talking about how we need to worry about self driving vehicles automatically think we are saying it’s going to eliminate everyone’s jobs. Which is not the reality. The reality is we will have self driving vehicles in the highways and in the city but that does not mean it’s going to be 100% across the board jobs loss. City self driving vehicles are going to be a thing but they will not be able to do everything. At first they will be doing easy access deliveries and pickups at big Customer locations who will probably need some kind of technology update at their facility to accommodate this new thing. Drops, swaps, rails and even volume loads will be the first thing that they can easily automate. Again automated trucks won’t take 100% of our jobs on the road or city but they will take a lot of them away within the next 15 years. Now give the engineers another 20-30 years to perfect the system and in 30 years who knows what the technology is going to be able to do. That’s what I’m worried about as a 37 year old. For the short term in 5-10 years the bottom of the list drivers for road and not as much for city but they need to be very worried about this because it will affect them no doubt in my mind.

I think most people when they hear someone talking about how we need to worry about self driving vehicles automatically think we are saying it’s going to eliminate everyone’s jobs. Which is not the reality. The reality is we will have self driving vehicles in the highways and in the city but that does not mean it’s going to be 100% across the board jobs loss. City self driving vehicles are going to be a thing but they will not be able to do everything. At first they will be doing easy access deliveries and pickups at big Customer locations who will probably need some kind of technology update at their facility to accommodate this new thing. Drops, swaps, rails and even volume loads will be the first thing that they can easily automate. Again automated trucks won’t take 100% of our jobs on the road or city but they will take a lot of them away within the next 15 years. Now give the engineers another 20-30 years to perfect the system and in 30 years who knows what the technology is going to be able to do. That’s what I’m worried about as a 37 year old. For the short term in 5-10 years the bottom of the list drivers for road and not as much for city but they need to be very worried about this because it will affect them no doubt in my mind.
When they get a computer to crank down the dollies, and do a pre-trip I'll be convinced...

When they get a computer to crank down the dollies, and do a pre-trip I'll be convinced...

Drones don't have landing gear, they probably going to be hauling your freight in the future.
You remember Dick Tracy's wrist radio? Buck Rogers space ships? men on the moon, we all said that crap would never come to pass.
Coop Dispatch is already getting their drivers drone qualified.

Prime examples of narrow minded, short sightedness.

You think they need a $35+hr employee drawing full benefits to lower landing gear, or do a pre-trip?

Explain to me what special qualifications one needs to turn a handle one direction, or the other?

Fueling, building, and breaking sets, pre/post trips.
Sounds like a $15hr job to me. Something, ohhh maybe a contracted company could provide?

We already have dock workers doing this job. Ever think of that?

Most of you STILL don't get it.

"Hurumph! Yeah, huh huh,, let's see a computer, uh, , VERIFY SEAL NUMBERS!! Yeah, I'll worry when that happens! (brushes Hamburger Helper from beard)

You overestimate your importance.

Man, the landing gear's actually the easy part. I could easily design that, but it's already out there in assorted forms, easily integrated into air/electrical systems.
Here's one: https://www.onlift.com/products/

Here's another:

As for pre-trip/post-trip inspections, when did we get most drivers to actually do that (properly)?