FedEx Freight | Update To Your Future.

Prime examples of narrow minded, short sightedness.

You think they need a $35+hr employee drawing full benefits to lower landing gear, or do a pre-trip?

Explain to me what special qualifications one needs to turn a handle one direction, or the other?

Fueling, building, and breaking sets, pre/post trips.
Sounds like a $15hr job to me. Something, ohhh maybe a contracted company could provide?

We already have dock workers doing this job. Ever think of that?

Most of you STILL don't get it.

"Hurumph! Yeah, huh huh,, let's see a computer, uh, , VERIFY SEAL NUMBERS!! Yeah, I'll worry when that happens! (brushes Hamburger Helper from beard)

You overestimate your importance.

This was something I was going to also write on my post but didn’t want to make it even longer. Companies can have a switcher on site or like you said a dock employee trained to assist and switch at the location. We have 2 dock workers one in the morning 1 in the afternoon trained who don’t have a cdl as back up switchers in case our drivers call out.

Prime examples of narrow minded, short sightedness.

You think they need a $35+hr employee drawing full benefits to lower landing gear, or do a pre-trip?

Explain to me what special qualifications one needs to turn a handle one direction, or the other?

Fueling, building, and breaking sets, pre/post trips.
Sounds like a $15hr job to me. Something, ohhh maybe a contracted company could provide?

We already have dock workers doing this job. Ever think of that?

Most of you STILL don't get it.

"Hurumph! Yeah, huh huh,, let's see a computer, uh, , VERIFY SEAL NUMBERS!! Yeah, I'll worry when that happens! (brushes Hamburger Helper from beard)

You overestimate your importance.
Nope still think we are important as an insurance policy. They know they can get some machine to do almost everything we do and for the few things that may be a little more difficult there's a hostler. When these things hit the street we will be told to use the autonomous mode like we are told to use cruise control now. In the companies eyes these systems don't make mistakes. When they do, it's the drivers fault and that will remain the mentality. We will get fired when the autonomous truck hits someone and it will be back on the road with a new fall guy.

I seriously doubt we will ever see totally independent trucks on the road for a number of reasons. while a computer might be faster, humans are more perceptive to changing conditions, we have all caught something out of the corner of your eye, or just, due to experience been able to adjust to avoid a "you're never gonna believe what just happened" moment. My last one was a car that I knew was going to blow a red light, I slowed before the intersection and he flew through. A computer can't think it can only react, when the moment comes when the slush turns to ice what will it do? When that drunk ahead of you bounces off the barrier and into your lane will the computer observe and predict what might happen? What about the 15 year old in the basement with a laptop? Somewhere there is a hole in the system someone will find, a 200 truck pile-up on I-95, a hacker hero. If this will really happen it will always require a "driver", probably minimum wage with a checklist of what to do if so and so happens do this, then that. P&D work will always need a driver in control, too many variables, can't imagine a self-driver weaving through downtown traffic, knowing what door to hit, and on and on. The lawyers will have a field day. Self driving lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners good, 40 ton ghost trucks, not good.
Exactly why this will never happen. The list is endless on the reasons.

Man, the landing gear's actually the easy part. I could easily design that, but it's already out there in assorted forms, easily integrated into air/electrical systems.
Here's one: https://www.onlift.com/products/

Here's another:

As for pre-trip/post-trip inspections, when did we get most drivers to actually do that (properly)?
What happens when you get one of those trailers with 24K lbs dropped a foot above your 5th wheel by the previous driver dumbass?? Will that gadget have enough torque to turn the shaft??

I remember back when UPS had pneumatic landing gear...hook up the air lines, supply some air, and presto!!

I think the dock workers will see job loss first before truck drivers due to automation of some sort of RFID following automated hi-lo loading and unloading trucks....you already see that sort of movement at Amazon ...
But one thing for sure its coming on fast and furious...