TForce | UPS 2nd Quarter Produces Solid Earnings On 15% Revenue Gain

Mike01

TB Lurker
Credits
ATLANTA, July 25, 2006 - UPS (NYSE:UPS) today reported a strong gain in consolidated revenue and a 10.2% improvement in earnings per diluted share to $0.97. Global small package volume rose 6% or 841,000 additional packages each day.

Consolidated Results..... Second quarter .....Year-ago
Revenue .....$11.74 B .....$10.19 B
Operating profit .....$1.70 B .....$1.55 B
Operating margin .....14.4% .....15.2%
Average volume per day .....15.0 M .....14.1 M
Diluted earnings per share .....$0.97 .....$0.88

"Our global small package volume growth in the second quarter was robust, resulting in a solid earnings gain," said Mike Eskew, UPS chairman and CEO. "The global small package market continues to expand and we are seeing significant opportunities for UPS."

Read more

Mike01 said:
ATLANTA, July 25, 2006 - UPS (NYSE:UPS) today reported a strong gain in consolidated revenue and a 10.2% improvement in earnings per diluted share to $0.97. Global small package volume rose 6% or 841,000 additional packages each day.

Consolidated Results..... Second quarter .....Year-ago
Revenue .....$11.74 B .....$10.19 B
Operating profit .....$1.70 B .....$1.55 B
Operating margin .....14.4% .....15.2%
Average volume per day .....15.0 M .....14.1 M
Diluted earnings per share .....$0.97 .....$0.88

"Our global small package volume growth in the second quarter was robust, resulting in a solid earnings gain," said Mike Eskew, UPS chairman and CEO. "The global small package market continues to expand and we are seeing significant opportunities for UPS."

Read more

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060725/earns_ups.html?.v=11

Things are looking rosey at UPS alright. What a drop in stock.:shock:

Skeeter said:
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060725/earns_ups.html?.v=11

Things are looking rosey at UPS alright. What a drop in stock.:shock:

It's okay Skeeter...unless you have a ton of stock you were planning on unloading quickly.
It will come back.
Get some of that moldy money out....now is the time to buy as much as you can afford.

At that price...it will go back up quickly because investors will snatch it up...and in turn,drive the price back up.

Unfortunately all publicly held Companies are subject to the dumb little Wall St. games........pretty bad when you can net 1.7 BILLION in a quarter and Wall St. hammers you for your efforts.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
It's okay Skeeter...unless you have a ton of stock you were planning on unloading quickly.
It will come back.
Get some of that moldy money out....now is the time to buy as much as you can afford.

At that price...it will go back up quickly because investors will snatch it up...and in turn,drive the price back up.
Exactly....a Wall St. game.

stldude44 said:
Unfortunately all publicly held Companies are subject to the dumb little Wall St. games........pretty bad when you can net 1.7 BILLION in a quarter and Wall St. hammers you for your efforts.

Exactly..everything is based on assumptions

Any company always making acquisitions as UPS..

will have off seasons as they rebrand,and restructure the purchased companies to line up with UPS's global requirements.
Overnite isn't the only company that was taking over by UPS last year.
Most business start ups don't even show profits up to the first five years,

Whatever money to purchase,and rebrand is money thats not making them anything for awhile,and may cause them to have a loss.

Maybe just my opinon,but its as good as any.

The question is, Would freight have shown any improvements without a fuel charge? I heard my TM say that the fuel charge made more money than the freight we picked up.

There are also other charges that make money.

I always have a laugh when talking to sales.
Our company discounts our freight rates as low as they can to stay competitive with all the other LTL companies.
Than turns around and slaps on whatever other charges they can get away with.
For example.
Whats it cost to make a simple phone call to appoint a window of time to deliver?
I'm thinking not more than $.50.
We tack on $25.00.
I know we are with all the other companies that are hauling LTL.
Every company has their own way of making money on every shippment.

We see what happened to the companies that discounted themselves out of buisness,ever since deregulation kicked in.

I also know the customers that receive onetime home deliveries are doing their part to scam the trucking companies.

I love it when the bill has a buisness heading when you know full well its a dead end street with only houses on it.

If their home when I show up,they've beat the system.
But if not,to bad they get a $25,00 phone call to appoint,also residence,and depending if my TM wants to, they could get a redelivery charge as well.

Like I say thats the trucking game,if your in buisness, you've got to be a good player,or you'll be thrown out of the game.