ABF | Ups bound

It was a great experience at Abf. After 7 years I will be starting my job at Ups on Monday. Not ups freight but Ups package pulling pups hub to hub. Off on weekends and no more waiting for work call. Be safe and God Bless Bullfrogs. Stay safe out there
Congratulations Congrats GIF

It was a great experience at Abf. After 7 years I will be starting my job at Ups on Monday. Not ups freight but Ups package pulling pups hub to hub. Off on weekends and no more waiting for work call. Be safe and God Bless Bullfrogs. Stay safe out there
No more waiting for work call how did you get a bid right away?

Ups out of Charlotte is all bids and all start times as everything is on a schedule. Not like at Abf. Abf will unload when have the time, load when have the time, hook up pups when have the time and have a tractor if one is available
Why wouldn't you be on the on call board?

Thought you were going to OD?

Any complications pension wise or is it the same?
No. After 2008 Ups bought there way out of Central States. Now it’s the Ups teamsters fund. It’s only Ups teamsters that are in. Naturally it’s fully funded and you get 175 dollars for every year of service. So it’s better all the way around than central states even if central states is fully finders. That being said, I’m praying that centra states gets fixed here in a few weeks when senate votes on the rescue plan. I only had 7 years in it. But, I’m thinking about all the older guys with many years in. They deserve their pension so they can finally be able to retire and enjoy life and not have to worry whether their pension will be there.

UPS feeder doesn't have an on call board. Senior guys get bid runs to specific places. The majority of the other drivers bid weekly start times and are known as WAD (work as directed). Depending on what you get will determine what you are doing. CPUs and rails are what most people get. Longer runs are premium due to the pay$$$$. Make sure you learn your 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary. Good luck.

UPS feeder doesn't have an on call board. Senior guys get bid runs to specific places. The majority of the other drivers bid weekly start times and are known as WAD (work as directed). Depending on what you get will determine what you are doing. CPUs and rails are what most people get. Longer runs are premium due to the pay$$$$. Make sure you learn your 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary. Good luck.
Someone mentioned that on Friday. I read and read over bad over yesterday then had my wife quiz me an hour. So I’ve got it down. I was surprised I was able to get it so quick.

Someone mentioned that on Friday. I read and read over bad over yesterday then had my wife quiz me an hour. So I’ve got it down. I was surprised I was able to get it so quick.
The 5 and 10 are easy to remember. The on road sups will probably quiz you on it before you finish training. The 5 are just the smith system. The 10 does have a way to remember it using the numbers 1 through 10 if you ever have a brain fart. Good luck and remember to order your uniforms as early as possible. Some hubs have been hiring so many people that there is a backlog of uniforms. It can take a month. I had only one for over a month.

The 5 and 10 are easy to remember. The on road sups will probably quiz you on it before you finish training. The 5 are just the smith system. The 10 does have a way to remember it using the numbers 1 through 10 if you ever have a brain fart. Good luck and remember to order your uniforms as early as possible. Some hubs have been hiring so many people that there is a backlog of uniforms. It can take a month. I had only one for over a month.
So are you on a start time or do new hires start as cover drivers and each week we run a different run on a bid

So are you on a start time or do new hires start as cover drivers and each week we run a different run on a bid
After my initial training I went straight into the weekly bid. I am usually on the same start time every week. Depending on how many people they are hiring and where you fall in will determine if you get a choice of available runs that need covering or whatever is left. They post the bids every week here to give us an idea of what is available for when we bid. There are also sleeper runs that might become available if someone is off, and they pay really well.

CPU is customer pick up. That is where you either swap out trailers or bring a trailer to get loaded and return to the hub. A large majority of feeder work is CPU and rail loads.