TForce | UPS driver "Unsafe Vehicle claim"supported by OSHA

Vwaggs

TB Veteran
Credits
Go Opie Go!!!

http://www.tdu.org/node/3887

Feeder Driver Beats UPS on Safety

April 30, 2010: John Youngermann, a TDU member and UPS feeder driver out of the Earth City, Missouri, hub won an important OSHA ruling that supported a driver’s right to refuse to drive unsafe equipment.

On April 22, 2010, OSHA awarded Youngermann compensatory and punitive damages as well as back pay with overtime and interest.

Youngermann phoned the company to try to get the equipment repaired without success, and finally refused to pull a trailer with inoperable tail lights and side marker lights. He was terminated for his refusal and later was returned to work under the grievance procedure, but without back pay.

Aint the 1st time they've been nailed by their own drivers won't be the last. I don't see the security those folks keep yap'n about.

[quote author=mildew link=topic=79819.msg826981#msg826981 date=1273004450]
Aint the 1st time they've been nailed by their own drivers won't be the last. I don't see the security those folks keep yap'n about.
[/quote]
Yep, OSHA came through and he wasn't even paying dues to them.

As much as their pushing safety here I'm surprised ups would even think of making a driver pull a trailer that didn't the proper lights working.