TForce | Ups endorses the efca

Overnite

TB Veteran
Credits
There asking managers to contribute to a fund like the teamsters ask us to, I heard that ups is helping push the efca through congress. Pretty smart.

From the Teamsters website.

Tell Congress to Support the Employee Free Choice Act

Working families across the country need help. Over the past eight years, we have seen the middle class deteriorate as corporate fat cats and their lobbyists were given free reign on George W. Bush's watch. Worker rights were thrown out the window and companies did their best to intimidate or terminate any employees who even uttered the word "union."

It is time for change...

(Click the link for more)

http://http://www.teamsterstakeaction.org/campaign/employee_free_choice_clone

Why would UPS endorse the EFCA?

From the Teamsters website.

Tell Congress to Support the Employee Free Choice Act

Working families across the country need help. Over the past eight years, we have seen the middle class deteriorate as corporate fat cats and their lobbyists were given free reign on George W. Bush's watch. Worker rights were thrown out the window and companies did their best to intimidate or terminate any employees who even uttered the word "union."

It is time for change...

(Click the link for more)

http://http://www.teamsterstakeaction.org/campaign/employee_free_choice_clone

Why would UPS endorse the EFCA?

Because the EFCA will make it easier to organize non union company's, mainly FedEx and this will level the playing field for UPS to be more competitive.

There asking managers to contribute to a fund like the teamsters ask us to, I heard that ups is helping push the efca through congress. Pretty smart.

What would be the benefit for the manager to contributes to an EFCA fund?
Do you have a link to share?

With all the wage and benefits reductions going on, and the realization that they really have no collective voice. I feel some of these non-union employees had enough. Those companies pushed a little too far this time.

I agree, there is an underlying reason why UPS is pushing the EFCA. I think they are gambling on something and I agree, it's a smart business move if their efforts help make it happen.

No, I don't have any documentation I don't think there is any; but every year ups asks management to donate to a fund that ups uses for political issues they "ask" for a minuim of $100 and they will take deductions every payperiod, this year they pushed the fact they are supporting the EFCA to make the playing field fair between companies.

Confirmation, I asked my supervisor and he told me that it was made mandatory for the supervisors at my terminal to donate money into this fund mentioned. He remembers being told about it last year.

Because the EFCA will make it easier to organize non union company's, mainly FedEx and this will level the playing field for UPS to be more competitive.

I think they know it would turn FedEx, Con-way, etc into complete chaos. Destroy the competitors and you pick up the business.

I think they know it would turn FedEx, Con-way, etc into complete chaos. Destroy the competitors and you pick up the business.

I don't think its a matter of destroying anyone to get the extra business. They know that non union company's have much more flexibility than the union company's which means a larger profit can be attained by the non union company's. If the non union company's were organized, especially UPS rival competitor FedEx, this would level the playing field for UPS to be more competitive.

I don't think its a matter of destroying anyone to get the extra business. They know that non union company's have much more flexibility than the union company's which means a larger profit can be attained by the non union company's. If the non union company's were organized, especially UPS rival competitor FedEx, this would level the playing field for UPS to be more competitive.

I disagree. I can tell you Con-way would be chaos. If I'm correct, UPS kinda opened the door - Con-way FedEx and others would fight it till the death and UPS higher ups know this.

I disagree. I can tell you Con-way would be chaos. If I'm correct, UPS kinda opened the door - Con-way FedEx and others would fight it till the death and UPS higher ups know this.

I guess we will have to see how it plays out. I don't have much time though as I will retire in a few years.

Sorry but i think this thread is just a rumor, a big rumor.

It's only a rumor because UPS hasn't put it in writing. No one will disagree that UPS is not opposed to this, as it will have no adverse effect on them and in fact would benefit them as their competitors will be forced to pay higher wages and then cannot undercut UPS' rates. So knowing that, does it matter that you are lacking a "smoking gun"?

I disagree with the chaos part because the union in many ways helps stabilize a company and helps it keep it's structure. Once a contract is in place both sides make certain that it is followed. The chaos would only come if a company tried to prevent the union from organizing or if they refused to negotiate a contract. The major carriers will do the smart thing and recognize the union and work with them. In fact, once this passes, you might see some companies open the door and make it as painless as they can to ensure there is no chaos.

Politics 101:

With a name like Employee Free Choice Act, who could oppose it. Even though the bill itself might be flawed (I have not seen it or heard any details) anyone who opposes this will be on record as opposing free choice and will be viewed as being against the working man. Much like the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act, no one would survive politically by opposing clean air and clean water. So you vote for it and it becomes law, even though it might not be the best written piece of legislation. How many times have you heard a politician defend himself for opposing these types of acts by saying that they actually were in support of a different (better) version? Not often and when you do, it never works. They will forever carry the label and in this case they will forever be viewed as being against the working man.

This thing passes, if it gets out of committee, which it will, considering the Union backing of the Democratic party and the power they have today. In years past legislation like this never saw the light of day because those who opposed it knew they could never vote against it so they kept it buried.

I think this bill is why companies are cutting wages, 401k's and benefits becuase if the employees deceide to go union the negotiations will start in the companies favor.