TForce | UPS Freight Diary:

The key to happiness is, "find something you like to do, and find someone to pay you to do it". I believe it was Ross Perot, self made billionaire...

Also, as some of us Ol' Timers can attest to, when we were starting here it was WORK!!!! No skidded freight, you picked it up off the trailer floor and you set it down on the trailer floor, you moved drums by hand truck, sorted hundreds of boxes, moved crates with a Johnson bar, and stitched tires till they hit the roof. Then you climbed in a cab-over Mack, no A/C, no power steering, no radio, {not that you could have heard it anyway over the rattles and engine noise,} and you went to the customer and picked it up and set it down again, {think 250 cases of school books, or 600 cases of cigarettes}. How many remember the drag-lines, floats with bent wheels? Log books were a joke, you found the time, it was 15 hours on duty and 8 off. 70 hour weeks with NO overtime. I make almost that in a DAY and barely break a sweat sometimes. But we were glad and grateful to have a decent job with decent pay and benefits. We were good at what we did and proud of it, There was no need to go to the gym after work!!!!! That being said, times have changed, some may argue for the better, some for the worse.

Forgive me for the rant my young friend, but if you are depressed and unhappy at this job, do yourself and your family a favor and make a change. Be safe........

Although I was never part of the workforce, the working conditions and equipment was exactly as you mentioned.
Ryder had only 1 forklift in Charl, I think it just worked part-time.
Conditions were worse before we went union in 57.
Us line drivers were special, we sat on our butts while local and dock guys did our switching and windshield cleaning.
I can count the times, on one hand, I actually touched a piece of freight in 35 yrs.
I've never fueled a truck.
I bitched and griped from time to time like most drivers, but think I had one of the best jobs around.

1) i am not happy. i am very depressed, cranky and sad.
Don't have no time to scan in checks. The last one was $1638.59 gross. The check has nothing to do with it.

2) 2 confirmed cases at grumpyburg. Not only can they not get laid, the virus has now INVADED the hub!

#2 has nothing to do with it. i think maybe i'm working too much. What good is money if all you do is work for it?

MONEY IS TRASH.

i am NOT happy.

You're right, money can't buy happiness, so just send me your money and let me give it a try, I think I can make it work.

The key to happiness is, "find something you like to do, and find someone to pay you to do it". I believe it was Ross Perot, self made billionaire...

Also, as some of us Ol' Timers can attest to, when we were starting here it was WORK!!!! No skidded freight, you picked it up off the trailer floor and you set it down on the trailer floor, you moved drums by hand truck, sorted hundreds of boxes, moved crates with a Johnson bar, and stitched tires till they hit the roof. Then you climbed in a cab-over Mack, no A/C, no power steering, no radio, {not that you could have heard it anyway over the rattles and engine noise,} and you went to the customer and picked it up and set it down again, {think 250 cases of school books, or 600 cases of cigarettes}. How many remember the drag-lines, floats with bent wheels? Log books were a joke, you found the time, it was 15 hours on duty and 8 off. 70 hour weeks with NO overtime. I make almost that in a DAY and barely break a sweat sometimes. But we were glad and grateful to have a decent job with decent pay and benefits. We were good at what we did and proud of it, There was no need to go to the gym after work!!!!! That being said, times have changed, some may argue for the better, some for the worse.

Forgive me for the rant my young friend, but if you are depressed and unhappy at this job, do yourself and your family a favor and make a change. Be safe........
Well put!

Although I was never part of the workforce, the working conditions and equipment was exactly as you mentioned.
Ryder had only 1 forklift in Charl, I think it just worked part-time.
Conditions were worse before we went union in 57.
Us line drivers were special, we sat on our butts while local and dock guys did our switching and windshield cleaning.
I can count the times, on one hand, I actually touched a piece of freight in 35 yrs.
I've never fueled a truck.
I bitched and griped from time to time like most drivers, but think I had one of the best jobs around.
It didn't take me a whole lot of years to realize road work was the way to go. Before we went Union there was a lot of waiting off the clock, 2 hours at each terminal, 1 hour for breakdown. But we didn't know any better, it was the same for all of us. In the floor freight days there were few damages, time was secondary to service, that began to change in the mid 90's with NiteLiner next day delivery.

i didn't say the job sucked, in fact i still think it's one of the best gigs around. And it's gotten better: i bid on a more "rural" type route---let's put it this way: i'm doing as much if not more driving than p+D and it's all dock stops/industrial parks. i'm surprised no-one else bid on it. It seems that when a driver gets comfortable with a route, they tend to stay with it, at least at my terminal. The "divorce rate" at my terminal is low.
i'm working less hours and this is much more comfortable. Everyone has been recalled.
This route is one of the best at the terminal in my opinion. The only drawback is that people here don't seem to tip at all. I'll take it though.

i'm just very depressed and miserable for reasons that don't have much to do with the job. Although it would be nice to work even less hours.

2) i love you, Crumudgeon, and THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

So anyways, last check was $2,334.56 gross with 39 total hours worked and 3 days daytime linehaul because grumpyburg was/is getting hammered (place has trailers every which way, you'd be lucky not have to dig your's out) so central wanted my operations manager to have me work linehaul for 3 days instead of city. i drove my ass off and don't even really remember where i went.

i don't have time to scan in the paysheets.

My YTD is $51,000 and some change which i feel is actually pretty lame: If i don't have a swim spa, a dragster, and the truck isn't paid off, then it's actually pretty lame.

i think i am going to cease posting checks etc. and in general posting here not because i'm pissed off at anyone, but because i'm really not gettting anything out of it and it's pretty much a waste of time.

Kevin Rutherford was right: Most trucking forums are useless. i'm not putting anyone down, i'm just saying that i think he's right unfortunately: i'm really not getting much out of this.

Now, IF there are questions and i, from time to time, may peek in, then i would gladly try to answer them to the best of my ability.

i didn't say the job sucked, in fact i still think it's one of the best gigs around. And it's gotten better: i bid on a more "rural" type route---let's put it this way: i'm doing as much if not more driving than p+D and it's all dock stops/industrial parks. i'm surprised no-one else bid on it. It seems that when a driver gets comfortable with a route, they tend to stay with it, at least at my terminal. The "divorce rate" at my terminal is low.
i'm working less hours and this is much more comfortable. Everyone has been recalled.
This route is one of the best at the terminal in my opinion. The only drawback is that people here don't seem to tip at all. I'll take it though.

i'm just very depressed and miserable for reasons that don't have much to do with the job. Although it would be nice to work even less hours.

2) i love you, Crumudgeon, and THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
I'm not sure if I should be flattered or get a restraining order...

I'll give you the Crumudgeons guide to happiness and success..

Save a couple bucks a week.
Don't go all-in with a pair of 7's.
Give yourself a cool biker name, like Sheepshagger or Slob.
Don't write a check your a$$ can't cash.
Management is NOT your friend.
Pay your taxes.
Vote Republican.
Find yourself a little fat girl who treats you like a king.
Teach your kids respect for all people regardless of their quirks.
Keep your tractor clean for the next guy.
Question authority in a professional and respectful way.
Say your prayers for yourself, your family, and others.
Be kind to animals.
Don't be afraid to ask for help.

I could go on and on, but this has worked for me.

So anyways, last check was $2,334.56 gross with 39 total hours worked and 3 days daytime linehaul because grumpyburg was/is getting hammered (place has trailers every which way, you'd be lucky not have to dig your's out) so central wanted my operations manager to have me work linehaul for 3 days instead of city. i drove my ass off and don't even really remember where i went.

i don't have time to scan in the paysheets.

My YTD is $51,000 and some change which i feel is actually pretty lame: If i don't have a swim spa, a dragster, and the truck isn't paid off, then it's actually pretty lame.

i think i am going to cease posting checks etc. and in general posting here not because i'm pissed off at anyone, but because i'm really not gettting anything out of it and it's pretty much a waste of time.

Kevin Rutherford was right: Most trucking forums are useless. i'm not putting anyone down, i'm just saying that i think he's right unfortunately: i'm really not getting much out of this.

Now, IF there are questions and i, from time to time, may peek in, then i would gladly try to answer them to the best of my ability.
Don’t give up on us now pal. I have really enjoyed the posts. It’s amazing to me you can make that kind of cash doing mostly local I’m running Linehaul extraboard at E gone alL the time and haven’t made much more Ytd keep us updated. Don’t be afraid to be different than the rest.

Don’t give up on us now pal. I have really enjoyed the posts. It’s amazing to me you can make that kind of cash doing mostly local I’m running Linehaul extraboard at E gone alL the time and haven’t made much more Ytd keep us updated. Don’t be afraid to be different than the rest.
I agree!! Stay involved.