TForce | UPS Freight Worker dies after being hit by truck coroner says...

It’s not just the yard jockeys. It’s the drivers, contractors, and jockeys all driving too fast. Just like the roads everywhere. People driving too fast. Just take your time in the yard. It’s safer and more money anyways. Remember we are all paid by the hour. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Vests might help but common sense about speed on the yard would also help. I remember suggesting putting reverse warnings & reverse lights on yard tractors. The safety department agreed. Most all construction equipment now has the warning that is loud enough to be heard. It is now mandatory in some states. A dock worker was almost hit in the dark after walking in front of a trailer that was about to be hooked. He did not see the yard tractor coming. It had no reverse lights or warning. After a short time hostlers cut the wire because they said the loud beeping was annoying.
An ABF employee was killed in Chicago a few years back in much the same way. The company then required safety vests to be worn on the yard.
I was issued a safety vest by them after that incident. I told myself I'd only be there long enough to require ONE vest before it needed replacement. I made it. Lol

I didn't like the safety vests at first, but you get used to them. I called them my "Playskool vests" for the longest time, since I felt like they were treating me like a child. Now...well, drivers still get hit in dark parts of terminals, but...I mean at least you're more visible in most situations. And at least the company has an out in court, when the family sues them. That's what really matters.

I didn't like the safety vests at first, but you get used to them. I called them my "Playskool vests" for the longest time, since I felt like they were treating me like a child. Now...well, drivers still get hit in dark parts of terminals, but...I mean at least you're more visible in most situations. And at least the company has an out in court, when the family sues them. That's what really matters.
Just my opinion, but I don't think a vest would have mattered in this case. Being familiar with the area it occurred, the experience of dodging jockey and drivers' vehicles over the years and the few details that are known at this time, IMHO it wouldn't have mattered.
To be drug over 60 feet and to be knocked clear of your shoes leads me to believe it was speed and carelessness that were the main factors.

Just my opinion, but I don't think a vest would have mattered in this case. Being familiar with the area it occurred, the experience of dodging jockey and drivers' vehicles over the years and the few details that are known at this time, IMHO it wouldn't have mattered.
To be drug over 60 feet and to be knocked clear of your shoes leads me to believe it was speed and carelessness that were the main factors.
Very true statement... There needs to be a longer and better training and safety course between Dockworker and the Yard hosteler position. I dont know if this is the case in this incident, having no idea of the hostlers' experience or disposition... but i have seen some less than qualified and unsafe (understatement) dockworkers be pushed thru by a lazy "safety trainer". And the confrontations, and mishaps in the yard prove the point. I have been in all of these positions, at night. And its not hard to have close calls, as i have had while i was hosteling.

It takes focus and a positive, caring attitude to avoid injuries and accidents in the yard. The yard hosteler position is more important than Management/People think. With this accident, this position should be closely monitored and more safety focused training has to be required. THis the second in yard death I am aware of by this position.

Very true statement... There needs to be a longer and better training and safety course between Dockworker and the Yard hosteler position. I dont know if this is the case in this incident, having no idea of the hostlers' experience or disposition... but i have seen some less than qualified and unsafe (understatement) dockworkers be pushed thru by a lazy "safety trainer". And the confrontations, and mishaps in the yard prove the point. I have been in all of these positions, at night. And its not hard to have close calls, as i have had while i was hosteling.

It takes focus and a positive, caring attitude to avoid injuries and accidents in the yard. The yard hosteler position is more important than Management/People think. With this accident, this position should be closely monitored and more safety focused training has to be required. THis the second in yard death I am aware of by this position.
(Some what off topic)Safety is a joke in this we have people smoking on the dock management knows dock boss caught the individual does nothing because they are buddies i brought it up dock boss acknowledged does nothing , watch them go up the dock with explosives right in front of them ,flammable drums etc because the individual is part of the good old boys club the usual if i like you you can do what ever the hell you want call off smoke come to work drunk and i will just look the other way .The vest only work when they are new in my book i was out in the wagon the other night in a dark part of the yard could barely see the guys walking across and its scarywhen your making moves trying to keep track and an eye of what direction they are where they are at Yard lighting sucks at 95% of these terminals

Management doesn't work in the dark
The yards should be lit up better than a football and baseball stadium. Every part of them. They are not mobile construction sites. They are permanent work areas with lots of people and dangerous equipment moving.
Cheap is no excuse.
And vests are the cheap solution.
Take the electric bills out of those cheaping out on vests.
Our business is all about moving trailers..In our own yards every where the trailer moves should be lit. No dark docks
Nothing. Light the damned yards up.

Last edited:
Management doesn't work in the dark
The yards should be lit up better than a football and baseball stadium. Every part of them. They are not mobile construction sites. They are permanent work areas with lots of people and dangerous equipment moving.
Cheap is no excuse.
And vests are the cheap solution.
Take the electric bills out of those cheaping out on vests.
As long as the lights point down on the work area, and not right in your eyes. Something I told management about also. Putting lights right below the roofline above the door pointing out into the yard just blinds whoever is trying to back into the doors.

As long as the lights point down on the work area, and not right in your eyes. Something I told management about also. Putting lights right below the roofline above the door pointing out into the yard just blinds whoever is trying to back into the doors.
This is true.
No cheaping out.
If you can see a baseball in a baseball stadium from the bleachers, there's no reason an industry moving trailers shouldn't light every inch of the place up for safety

And yes. They'd have to be high and aim down.

In their court they're gonna say did the jockey do this? Did the victims have vest on? Were there painted lines?
All the cheap answers.
Light the places up.
WAS YOUR YARD LIT?
(Oh no that would be too expensive and we can't blame the workers then)
But they avoid the monthly bill.
Paint and vests are the cheap answers.

The Execs and their corporate lawyers are gonna make darned sure they can see the papers and words on paper they work on.

They should make darned sure every part of their properties are well lit where the trailers move.
No blaming guys for not wearing vests or walking outside of painted lines or maintainance for not having lines painted.
Light every part of the places up.

Last edited:
Not much conversation on this in almost a month.

Anyone seen any noticeable improvements in the yards?
Any increased activity by the safety personnel?
Anyone lose their job over this?

This is true.
No cheaping out.
If you can see a baseball in a baseball stadium from the bleachers, there's no reason an industry moving trailers shouldn't light every inch of the place up for safety

And yes. They'd have to be high and aim down.

In their court they're gonna say did the jockey do this? Did the victims have vest on? Were there painted lines?
All the cheap answers.
Light the places up.
WAS YOUR YARD LIT?
(Oh no that would be too expensive and we can't blame the workers then)
But they avoid the monthly bill.
Paint and vests are the cheap answers.

The Execs and their corporate lawyers are gonna make darned sure they can see the papers and words on paper they work on.

They should make darned sure every part of their properties are well lit where the trailers move.
No blaming guys for not wearing vests or walking outside of painted lines or maintainance for not having lines painted.
Light every part of the places up.
They ARE NOT going to be held responsible

Lighting is insufficient because most of the terminals are from the 50's..And ups didn't put any money into the terminals! Even NBR is like Gotham city!
Yeah, you would think a newer terminal such as nbr would have better lighting........

LED lighting really doesn't consume that much energy......

i really hate to think and talk about this, but this might be a good case for electric jockey horses provided they can successfully perform an 8 hour shift, which i doubt.

Because anyone who's driven a jockey truck knows that they are VERY noisy.

HEARING what is around you really helps.