Yellow | Ups passes contract YRC your next..

With our older workforce, most of the guys maybe have 1 or 2 contracts left, looks like it may be in their best interest to get more in line with the competition with pay to get some new drivers to replace the upcoming retirees or it wont matter much at all anyway
sure would help a lot with morale as well

4.2billion in revenue a year for all of yrcw companies not too shabby.number 3 in the ltl market in revenue.Again not too shabby
The relevant number is O/R. And the O/R that will trigger profit sharing, per the MOU, while realistic for a normal LTL carrier, are far out of reach for YRC Freight. And the multitude of reasons for that WILL NOT be solved by the end of March 2019. These numbers are from the 2018 3Q earnings report.
The consolidated operating ratio for third quarter 2018 was 96.8 compared to 96.5 in third quarter 2017. The operating ratio at YRC Freight was 97.0 compared to 97.1 for the same period in 2017. The Regional segment’s third quarter 2018 operating ratio was 96.2 compared to 95.4 a year ago.
It is not about gross revenue. Or market share. It is about the O/R, which is very "shabby". YRCW and it's operating subsidiaries for reasons which are far out of the control of the Teamsters, are unable to achieve an O/R that will be able to sustain itself.
Keep in mind that what was possible at UPS Freight, is IMPOSSIBLE for YRC Freight. The leverage that UPS can and clearly did, bring to bear on customers, is not available for YRC Freight. Striking is not an option, and the strategy used at UPS Freight. Locking out your employees, would NOT yield the same result at YRC Freight. The revenue generated by UPS Freight is nothing more than a footnote in the earnings of UPS. Because of that fact, the revenue lost through the lockout is sustainable at UPS Freight. YRCW's largest source of revenue is YRC Freight. YRC Freight is simply financially unable to lock out it's employees and our customers are not going to permit them to curtail service until the current contract is ratified. When YRCW shuts the door, they will never reopen! Because they're customers will have secured suitable AND viable alternatives to YRC Freight and the Regionals.
YRCW will propose a wage and benefit package that will be a small incremental improvement. Purchased transportation most certainly will not be decreased. For simple operational reasons, their inability to hire drivers. They cannot pick up or deliver their customers freight profitably, now. What makes anyone believe that they will somehow magically, in less than 5 months, make that happen.
I sincerely hope that the Teamsters that are currently employed by YRCW operating companies, are treated fairly in the negotiations. But I am skeptical that there will be a generous proposal from YRCW.
Good luck. Tragically they will need it!

Last edited:
The profit sharing was absolute BS from the start. Holland achieved it once in 5 years. If YRC Freight ever came close they’d incur “a one time charge” to avoid paying it.

The profit sharing was absolute BS from the start. Holland achieved it once in 5 years. If YRC Freight ever came close they’d incur “a one time charge” to avoid paying it.
The O/R threshold for YRC Freight, was attainable. Roadway Express regularly achieved those numbers. And in spite of your naïve assertion. It is a fantasy that YRC Freight, is somehow deliberately missing the O/R numbers. If they were able to achieve an O/R that triggered profit sharing, why would they do something that would prevent that from happening? The resulting morale lift to the entire YRC Freight workforce would be immeasurable. And would surely give them some leverage with the lenders, to negotiate even more favorable loan terms.

YRC Freight doesn’t operate anything like Roadway Express did, or for that matter like Yellow Freight did. This company took the worst practices from both of those companies and put those in place. And YES I firmly believe that if taking a one time charge on “a pension settlement” or a “property loss” meant not having to pay profit sharing they’d do it, Especially if it meant putting one more nickel in their pocket’s. Management at this company is not only incompetent, they’re incredibly greedy. Just look at all the bonuses they give themselves. I’m sure you’re aware of all those.

YRC Freight doesn’t operate anything like Roadway Express did, or for that matter like Yellow Freight did. This company took the worst practices from both of those companies and put those in place. And YES I firmly believe that if taking a one time charge on “a pension settlement” or a “property loss” meant not having to pay profit sharing they’d do it, Especially if it meant putting one more nickel in their pocket’s. Management at this company is not only incompetent, they’re incredibly greedy. Just look at all the bonuses they give themselves. I’m sure you’re aware of all those.
After 21 years of Big R and another 9 years of YRC Freight I was forced to retire, in May, due to an OJI. I know well the culture of BOTH entities. But frankly, I think you give their intelligence more credit than they deserve.
Anyone expecting much from YRCW, is going to be deeply and sadly disappointed. They will “stagger” into negotiations, pleading poverty. Which will be true. Why will be irrelevant.

After 21 years of Big R and another 9 years of YRC Freight I was forced to retire, in May, due to an OJI. I know well the culture of BOTH entities. But frankly, I think you give their intelligence more credit than they deserve.
Anyone expecting much from YRCW, is going to be deeply and sadly disappointed. They will “stagger” into negotiations, pleading poverty. Which will be true. Why will be irrelevant.
Well we can agree on the fact that they’re not that bright and they are going to cry poor AGAIN.

If they can’t give us at least 5% a year back, immediately restore vacation, and maintain our medical, then EFF THEM, go ahead and close. Drivers will all land on their feet. To the dock Forman making 65k with 6 weeks vacation, good luck finding another gig like that.
I made it 5 years after "merger" then retired due to health. Sad to say but some things are just fact. 15% is never coming back (per the company), YRC and Union decide the contracts together (then give vote yes or close the doors ultimatum to workers). Workers have "0" leverage. The Union gets dues paid in, CEO and others at top get richer, banks get paid interest, and somehow life goes on. It has been this way since December 2007 when we were told to merge together by March 1, 2008 or close the doors. Praying for better days for you guys in the future. It has been a terrible 10 years.

If it's that slow why are they moving work from YRC to the Regionals ? Saying they don't have the manpower to move it. And why are regionals sending tons of P&D work to cartage every day?

It's not as slow as they would like people to think it is.
Because they can't find drivers to work for those low rates. They don't want to lose the customers over a driver shortage.

Because they can't find drivers to work for those low rates. They don't want to lose the customers over a driver shortage.
I get that but there's another thread on here titled "slow freight" in which guys posted lay offs at YRC.
So if guys are being laid off because YRC doesn't have enough work how are they moving freight to the regionals saying they don't have the manpower to move it at YRC ?

With our older workforce, most of the guys maybe have 1 or 2 contracts left, looks like it may be in their best interest to get more in line with the competition with pay to get some new drivers to replace the upcoming retirees or it wont matter much at all anyway
sure would help a lot with morale as well
I hope I have no contracts left. This one coming up is just gonna be anticlimactic because nothing is gonna happen.
What you have now is what you will have after April.
It's either that or looking for another job.
I don't see them giving into anything but a pittance. If anything.
I just want out of all this drama and move on to the next chapter of my life.
I have enough of this place and heard almost every possible scenerio
To tell you the truth I'm tired of it.
I will retire and create my own soap opera.
Good luck to all who will be here. I do hope it's better than what I am saying.
But I truly have my doubts Too much infighting between the union and employees let alone the company. Some employees can't even get it in their head to just go to work and leave others alone. Drama. Enough is enough. I'm at that point. I don't need it anymore. I would like to just go in and do what is expected. Not what a fellow employee expects. F*ck that. Life is short.
Time to move on. They can have it.

I hope I have no contracts left. This one coming up is just gonna be anticlimactic because nothing is gonna happen.
What you have now is what you will have after April.
It's either that or looking for another job.
I don't see them giving into anything but a pittance. If anything.
I just want out of all this drama and move on to the next chapter of my life.
I have enough of this place and heard almost every possible scenerio
To tell you the truth I'm tired of it.
I will retire and create my own soap opera.
Good luck to all who will be here. I do hope it's better than what I am saying.
But I truly have my doubts Too much infighting between the union and employees let alone the company. Some employees can't even get it in their head to just go to work and leave others alone. Drama. Enough is enough. I'm at that point. I don't need it anymore. I would like to just go in and do what is expected. Not what a fellow employee expects. F*ck that. Life is short.
Time to move on. They can have it.

Hey Mystic, I drove down to Dallas from NJ last week and came to 511 to look for you on Sunday. Some guys said you were hiding on the dock in some dark corner somewhere. I said that can't be, that you were a bright light guy. So tell me, were you actually hiding in the dark somewhere, that doesn't sound like you?

PS - See my car with NJ pates in your parking lot...
wuSn1MW.jpg

Hey Mystic, I drove down to Dallas from NJ last week and came to 511 to look for you on Sunday. Some guys said you were hiding on the dock in some dark corner somewhere. I said that can't be, that you were a bright light guy. So tell me, were you actually hiding in the dark somewhere, that doesn't sound like you?

PS - See my car with NJ pates in your parking lot...
wuSn1MW.jpg
Not at 511. To the west of it. If I was at 511. Nevermind. I won't say anything ad about 511.
No dark corners here anymore. Lit it up so the cameras could see better.
Not that it makes any difference. Lol.