Yellow | Ups passes contract YRC your next..

I hope I have no contracts left. This one coming up is just gonna be anticlimactic because nothing is gonna happen.
What you have now is what you will have after April.
It's either that or looking for another job.
I don't see them giving into anything but a pittance. If anything.
I just want out of all this drama and move on to the next chapter of my life.
I have enough of this place and heard almost every possible scenerio
To tell you the truth I'm tired of it.
I will retire and create my own soap opera.
Good luck to all who will be here. I do hope it's better than what I am saying.
But I truly have my doubts Too much infighting between the union and employees let alone the company. Some employees can't even get it in their head to just go to work and leave others alone. Drama. Enough is enough. I'm at that point. I don't need it anymore. I would like to just go in and do what is expected. Not what a fellow employee expects. F*ck that. Life is short.
Time to move on. They can have it.
I empathize with you, my friend. After I went off on W/C I discovered that much of my unhappiness was the result of my employment at YRC Freight. I miss many of the people, but as you point out the DRAMA and the PRIMA DONNAS have destroyed what little satisfaction came from a job well done.
"Good luck to all who will be here. I do hope it's better than what I am saying.
But I truly have my doubts." Those are my sentiments exactly. I hope your next chapter bring you the satisfaction you deserve.​
To better times, :guiness:

We need to stop selling our soul for -15% in 2019 !!
00a4cfbab78583dba61e10de3df836f2.jpg

But how much did they spend to make those numbers? You guys seem to forget that when your "buddy" is stabbing freight all day with lift truck forks and your other "buddy" is milking 2-3 hours a day on his route, that costs money, customers and time. Not labeling everyone, but there is a significant portion of the workforce at YRC that is cutting your throat on a daily basis whether you believe it or not. Money doesn't grow on trees and too many guys are looking out for #1 while they **** on the blood, sweat and tears of the previous generations of drivers that helped build what is left. I've seen it with my own eyes, guys know what they can get away with and take every advantage to do so.....would a real MAN do the same? I think not.

Totally agree. But EVERY company has this type of people - the ones that milk the system to the detriment of the company and their brothers (and sisters). Like it or not, that's where good management needs to step in. And, like it or not, it's easier in a non-union shop to weed these people out. And they need to be weeded out for the betterment of all involved.

The relevant number is O/R. And the O/R that will trigger profit sharing, per the MOU, while realistic for a normal LTL carrier, are far out of reach for YRC Freight. And the multitude of reasons for that WILL NOT be solved by the end of March 2019. These numbers are from the 2018 3Q earnings report.
The consolidated operating ratio for third quarter 2018 was 96.8 compared to 96.5 in third quarter 2017. The operating ratio at YRC Freight was 97.0 compared to 97.1 for the same period in 2017. The Regional segment’s third quarter 2018 operating ratio was 96.2 compared to 95.4 a year ago.
It is not about gross revenue. Or market share. It is about the O/R, which is very "shabby". YRCW and it's operating subsidiaries for reasons which are far out of the control of the Teamsters, are unable to achieve an O/R that will be able to sustain itself.
Keep in mind that what was possible at UPS Freight, is IMPOSSIBLE for YRC Freight. The leverage that UPS can and clearly did, bring to bear on customers, is not available for YRC Freight. Striking is not an option, and the strategy used at UPS Freight. Locking out your employees, would NOT yield the same result at YRC Freight. The revenue generated by UPS Freight is nothing more than a footnote in the earnings of UPS. Because of that fact, the revenue lost through the lockout is sustainable at UPS Freight. YRCW's largest source of revenue is YRC Freight. YRC Freight is simply financially unable to lock out it's employees and our customers are not going to permit them to curtail service until the current contract is ratified. When YRCW shuts the door, they will never reopen! Because they're customers will have secured suitable AND viable alternatives to YRC Freight and the Regionals.
YRCW will propose a wage and benefit package that will be a small incremental improvement. Purchased transportation most certainly will not be decreased. For simple operational reasons, their inability to hire drivers. They cannot pick up or deliver their customers freight profitably, now. What makes anyone believe that they will somehow magically, in less than 5 months, make that happen.
I sincerely hope that the Teamsters that are currently employed by YRCW operating companies, are treated fairly in the negotiations. But I am skeptical that there will be a generous proposal from YRCW.
Good luck. Tragically they will need it!

What would YRC have to do...or, better put, what is keeping YRC from reaching better operating ratios that other companies are able to hit?

Lousy management.
Addressing this would be a start, HDRadley
What would YRC have to do...or, better put, what is keeping YRC from reaching better operating ratios that other companies are able to hit?
Antiquated work rules, a workforce that largely is most concerned with "getting even" with YRCW. Too many years with equipment that cost nearly as much to keep on the road, as it generated in revenue.
My last point is being addressed. Investing in forklifts, tractors and trailers, which is a significant drag on earnings. As far as the other two points. I think those will be what eventually sinks the Titanic. A sad end to what were three very profitable organizations. While there remain far more Teamsters and some mid level management dedicated to doing their best. But just a few that will not, destroys morale.

Oh, I look out for number one- ME - that’s for sure. It doesn’t mean I’m screwing them, but I’m certainly not going to beat myself up or break my body down for this company. I have to save myself so I can make it until 65. And believe me, I see the foreman and what they do. 75% of them don’t give a f**k and spend a good portion of their day goofing off on their phones. The way I see it is they’re setting the example....
Sorry, but using the excuse that the supervision isn't working hard enough, is no reason for you or any other Teamster brother or sister to abandon a strong work ethic. If you are not capable, because you resent the current atmosphere, to extend 100%. Then an honorable MAN or WOMAN would seek employment elsewhere. Just saying.

Sorry, but using the excuse that the supervision isn't working hard enough, is no reason for you or any other Teamster brother or sister to abandon a strong work ethic. If you are not capable, because you resent the current atmosphere, to extend 100%. Then an honorable MAN or WOMAN would seek employment elsewhere. Just saying.
You question my honor? Really? This company’s solution to every problem is a hammer. Beat on the employees- push them for as much as they can possibly do. Then, when you have an accident or get hurt, guess what? You’re the one to blame! I’ll work as a steady pace. I can’t afford to get hurt or even pull a muscle for this operation. And as far as lazy, do nothing management- monkey see, monkey do. How do you bark orders to work harder and move faster from a heated office to all the men freezing their asses off on an ice cold dock or out on the yard? Give me a break.

You question my honor? Really? This company’s solution to every problem is a hammer. Beat on the employees- push them for as much as they can possibly do. Then, when you have an accident or get hurt, guess what? You’re the one to blame! I’ll work as a steady pace. I can’t afford to get hurt or even pull a muscle for this operation. And as far as lazy, do nothing management- monkey see, monkey do. How do you bark orders to work harder and move faster from a heated office to all the men freezing their asses off on an ice cold dock or out on the yard? Give me a break.

You're right about management in a way. A competent manager would be able to weed out the trash pretty easily from what I saw go on, but then the company/union can't do that because nobody wants to hire on into the cesspool that is YRC.

As far as dock work, I'm pretty sure ALL job descriptions say must work in weather extremes, suck it up butter cup and buy some good cold weather gear, it isn't hard. Next you'll be wanting hot cocoa brought out twice an hour when the temp falls below 50°F. That is the kind of "poor me" thinking that poisons the workplace.

Last edited:
If the shoe fits...………..

You're right about management in a way. A competent manager would be able to weed out the trash pretty easily from what I saw go on, but then the company/union can't do that because nobody wants to hire on into the cesspool that is YRC.

As far as dock work, I'm pretty sure ALL job descriptions say must work in weather extremes, suck it up butter cup and buy some good cold weather gear, it isn't hard. Next you'll be wanting hot cocoa brought out twice an hour when the temp falls below 50°F. That is the kind of "poor me" thinking that poisons the workplace.
So with talk like that, are you management? Read what I said- How can someone in management that is supposed to be on the dock actually working and “managing” think they can yell orders at guys from a heated office that isn’t their office, while they are surfing the internet, or playing grab ass on Facebook???

Weed out the trash ? YRC management, their lies and stupidity flung the doors wide open and recruited the trash. When they paid a competitive wage, treated their employees with respect and ran decent equipment they didn’t have what you refer to as trash. Before the lie of “equal sacrifice” people were lined up at the door trying to make the list to work at these companies, now they can’t even entice people away from unemployment. You want to know how it gets fixed you pay people better. You want a fair days work from people you pay them a fair days pay.

Extreme weather, you're telling me....
I've had to put on sweat pants for my drive to work, but I still keep the top down...
(Gotta adapt to having no heat.)

So with talk like that, are you management? Read what I said- How can someone in management that is supposed to be on the dock actually working and “managing” think they can yell orders at guys from a heated office that isn’t their office, while they are surfing the internet, or playing grab ass on Facebook???
I'm certain that supervising supervisors is NOT in your job description. The likelihood of any meaningful proposal from YRCW will depend significantly on operational efficiencies. Which are much more effected by Teamster professionalism and skill than any dumb ass stacking supervisor. Just because they either don't know, or don't care about their jobs does not validate your behavior.

What “behavior” are you talking about? I’m certain it’s not the unsafe behavior that caused your on the job accident. You realize that in management’s eyes all injuries are preventable and are caused by an unsafe act. So I’d argue that if you’d just have been a little safer you could’ve saved the company all that money that they had to pay you on a work comp settlement.

What “behavior” are you talking about? I’m certain it’s not the unsafe behavior that caused your on the job accident. You realize that in management’s eyes all injuries are preventable and are caused by an unsafe act. So I’d argue that if you’d just have been a little safer you could’ve saved the company all that money that they had to pay you on a work comp settlement.
Actually I was returning from Burnsville Minnesota, when I was rear ended by another tractor trailer on Interstate 90/94 in Camp Douglas Wisconsin. Traffic had stopped in front of me, and because I was using ALL of my Smith System Keys, I was able to stop without rear ending the cars in front of me. Unfortunately, the trunk behind me NEVER braked at all. As a result I had to have 3 disks in my neck fused. Would you care to identify the unsafe act I committed? Because you seem to know everything! FYI, my OJI will not cost YRC Freight anything. They, as well as myself, are suing that company for ALL costs associated with my accident. Including the fees incurred by YRC Freight's attorneys, as well as mine.