XPO | UPS wage increase

You all have a choice to work here or at UPS. So if you don't like the pay here put your key and badge on the TM desk and go work there...As you say Life is about choices.

But ABF and Yellow are union so why are they behind in pay then
Do you really want to drag ABF into this conversation? I assure you that when you figure in the total compensation package (pay, pension, healthcare cost, OT pay, etc.) that you guys are still way behind. Not to mention a grievance process and Union representation. Your company can cut you loose at any time they chose. My company has a contract that must be followed to get rid of me. We can compare pay and benefits if you like.

Last edited:
There are many reasons some union companies have fallen behind in pay after leading the way in pay for 3/4 of a century....we have been through this countless times, but now I have a question for you....why dont the nons catch up on health insurance provided at no cost to employees (which they took away), or pensions (which they also took away)?...I'm quite certain if we agreed to give that away they would give us 10 dollars or more, saving them money....but we both know that would be foolish on the rank and files part...
Truth

Do you really want to drag ABF into this conversation? I assure you that when you figure in the total compensation package (pay, pension, healthcare cost, OT pay, etc.) that you guys are still way behind. Not to mention a grievance process and Union representation. Your company can cut you loose at any time they chose. My company has a contract that must be followed to get rid of me. We can compare pay and benefits if you like.
100%

Someone posted earlier what UPS wages had to do with Xpo. I think it’s very important to keep in mind that UPS Drivers not only get paid that phenomenal hourly rate but they have 100% healthcare and pension fully Paid fully by the company. They are the gold standard. They show not only what could be had through collective bargaining but where wages should be for everybody when companies are held to calculating Cost-of-living adjustments and compensation packages that attract and Retain drivers. I believe it is what we all should strive for union or nonunion.
Total compensation not just hourly rate Defines who is on top.

A baseball player makes a couple million dollars a year base pay. I drive a truck for XPO I make 100 grand. Doesn’t matter to me how much a baseball player meds lol
UPS drivers are not baseball players. With all due respect it’s thats not a good analogy. Their drivers just like you . It shows how far behind LTL pay has gone .

Again if your ok with that good for you . The more that are will to accept less the more we will fall behind .
OK, Then why aren't baseball player paid at the same rate? There all baseball players. Right?

There are many reasons some union companies have fallen behind in pay after leading the way in pay for 3/4 of a century....we have been through this countless times, but now I have a question for you....why dont the nons catch up on health insurance provided at no cost to employees (which they took away), or pensions (which they also took away)?...I'm quite certain if we agreed to give that away they would give us 10 dollars or more, saving them money....but we both know that would be foolish on the rank and files part...
You are correct on the countless time we went over the, who wrote the law, who voted for it, and who sighed it into law.
The problem is to many people today only look at one line on there paycheck and that's the hourly rate. Most younger worker just care about what they make per hour instead of looking at the whole package. I also think that Obozocare help push the company paid plans over the edge. As I posted in another thread. I friend of mine took a lower hourly pay job because of the benefit package. Most people don't look at a job that way and corps know it.

Did you read what the name of this thread was call?????

UPS wage increase​

and the first post was all about hourly wage and that's it. There was no talk of any other benefits until after your post.

So I'll ask you again why hasn't the union LTL carriers keep up with UPS. As per OV-10 your both truck drivers

Do have to ask why there was not thread started when Walmart put out there new driver wage package? There truck driver too.

Did you read what the name of this thread was call?????

UPS wage increase​

and the first post was all about hourly wage and that's it. There was no talk of any other benefits until after your post.

So I'll ask you again why hasn't the union LTL carriers keep up with UPS. As per OV-10 your both truck drivers

• Forums / LTL Carriers (Sorted By Post Count) / XPO Logistics
  • XPO | UPS wage increase was the name of the thread, and nowhere in that thread title did it mention anything about Yellow or ABF until you did in post #19. And in post #2, it was you that compared UPS to other parcel companies, not Union LTL companies. And to answer your question about why the Union LTL carriers have not kept up with UPS is simple. UPS is not under a Union LTL contract. It is a parcel contract. And to take it even further, ABF and Yellow are each under separate contracts as is T-Force even though they are all three LTL carriers. The reason I stated that if you are going to compare pay packages is because our health and pension are a part of our contract(s). As an example, if you were going to buy a new car, would you not take into consideration the cost of insurance for a particular model before committing to buying it. If not, then you are a foolish man.

Last edited:
and nowhere in that thread title did it mention anything about Yellow or ABF until you did in post #19.
But you seem to have not read the whole post #19. Post #19 was a reply to post #17 which said "Y'all have had your chance to join the union you chose not to do so. Life is about choices." Meaning because we are not union and did not join is the reason we are not getting that type of pay. That's why I asked why ABF and Yellow were so far behind then. So I guess we will see a massive pay increase for you next year. Somewhere in the area of $11 per hour or around that number. We'll be watching. :coffee1:
And in post #2, it was you that compared UPS to other parcel companies, not Union LTL companies.
That's because they are a parcel company. I glad you see the point I was making. Most didn't get it.

UPS is not under a Union LTL contract. It is a parcel contract.
I glad someone is clearing this up. It seems OV-10 doesn't understand that. A total different area of trucking
The reason I stated that if you are going to compare pay packages is because our health and pension are a part of our contract(s).
So then lets compare your pay package to UPS. Oh wait, because you just proved my point that they are a total different area of trucking. Apples and Oranges

I sat here looking at this post and the quotes that you quoted and all I come up with is... What is your point?
My point was there are different areas of trucking some pay more then others. Just because we are all truck drivers doesn't mean we work in the same area.

But you seem to have not read the whole post #19. Post #19 was a reply to post #17 which said "Y'all have had your chance to join the union you chose not to do so. Life is about choices." Meaning because we are not union and did not join is the reason we are not getting that type of pay. That's why I asked why ABF and Yellow were so far behind then. So I guess we will see a massive pay increase for you next year. Somewhere in the area of $11 per hour or around that number. We'll be watching. :coffee1:

That's because they are a parcel company. I glad you see the point I was making. Most didn't get it.

I glad someone is clearing this up. It seems OV-10 doesn't understand that. A total different area of trucking

So then lets compare your pay package to UPS. Oh wait, because you just proved my point that they are a total different area of trucking. Apples and Oranges
Good response there FBN. I think we are close to the same reasoning about this topic. The one thing I don’t see happening though is the $11 per hour bump on the next contract. In fact, at the moment I am thinking that we are looking at a big time recession in the next couple of years, but I hope I am wrong. Because if it happens like it did back in 2008, EVERYONE in LTL will lose pay. And to keep this from turning into a political debate, let me just say that I think both parties suck and bear some responsibility for the direction we are heading in. But you are correct about UPS parcel having limited competition here in North America while the LTL companies are a dime a dozen. But also bear in mind that the days of multiple carriers under the same contract is not going to happen again. At least in my opinion.