ABF | US mail carriers file for bankruptcy

you leave at cut time with 5 envelopes or 5000 envelopes
I ran last Christmas from Boise to Portland and back between thanksgiving and christmas on an overflow mail contract that ran empty most every day both ways. We finally talked them into giving us some empty beamer carts for weight in the snow and ice. I carried about 14,000 lbs of them back and forth for a month and a half. Unbelievable.

Trucking companies do not get settlement (Paid) for like three months.

I have been advocating that they get paid up at close of business day.

I ran last Christmas from Boise to Portland and back between thanksgiving and christmas on an overflow mail contract that ran empty most every day both ways. We finally talked them into giving us some empty beamer carts for weight in the snow and ice. I carried about 14,000 lbs of them back and forth for a month and a half. Unbelievable.
I ruined one of the old 45 foot reefers we had one day. I was contemplating a run over a particularly icy pass and wanted some of that weight back there being empty. I managed to find a local water tower in some town, and in a few moments had water up to the temperature portal in the back doors sloshing with the plugs stopping the four drain holes in the corners below the box.

Reefer was running and the temps dropped turning that thing into a block with weight by evening I had me a truck worth taking over the pass. Lets GO!

Hit a steeper section and she started wriggling maybe 9% or so give or take. Then I hear this CRASH! And the radio lit up. HEY! You just lost your doors and dumped this ice block that took off and slid down the hill. The damn thing caromed off a no post wall and fell over the edge to the valley below and that was that.

They raised hell that night on the mountain and I was it.

The phone conversation to the boss man resulted in him pausing a moment to digest what he was told and then a burst of crying. Now its not often I hear a grown man cry but that was not a good night. The bill for the doors and so on back there was pricey. But they were happy to do it as we needed to be loaded come the following day.

Just a little bit of weight will do her. Shows what I know. Nothing. Took me two months to work that little repair bill off.

Trucking companies do not get settlement (Paid) for like three months.

I have been advocating that they get paid up at close of business day.
you mean mail contract carriers? I believe there is a clause in the contract that allows them to get compensated for fuel increases, etc. beyond their control.

you mean mail contract carriers? I believe there is a clause in the contract that allows them to get compensated for fuel increases, etc. beyond their control.
I mean in anything.

And they wonder why Trucking Companies go out of business.

Spend 200,000 on a tractor that is supposed to get 10 magical miles to the gallon but with fuel damn near 10.00 a gallon and thousands to do a fill for a days work... its futile.

We just lost a midstream pipeline pumper in the West of Oklahoma today when it burned and blew up hours ago. That ::shit:: feeds export into the coast of Texas east of Houston among other things.

Sure the HQ in Tulsa will have to spend a dollar to fix it.

actually, I was paid the mandatory $31.13/hr and got $5.00/hr extra for not taking the benefit package
did you have your own health insurance though? If you have your own, they will pay you the full $31. But not very many would have their own, unless their wife has him on hers, or like you were covered by your regular employer,

did you have your own health insurance though? If you have your own, they will pay you the full $31. But not very many would have their own, unless their wife has him on hers, or like you were covered by your regular employer,
When I worked for Postal Fleece Services or in springtime Pothole Fleet Services, if you had approved health insurance your $5.00 would go into a retirement IRA and it would be paid in quarterly, and it was managed by an outfit that was all consuming fee wise, so there was a few of us that would take the beat and cash out when it was paid, rather than watch get devoured in fees.

I just learned today that Lanier Brugh in Portland Oregon is closing their doors July 31st. Employees were notified about the middle of June of this closing. Didn't give them the mandatory 60 day notice. Brugh has about 100 trucks and 150 trailers and had several mail contracts on the west coast. They started hauling mail 85 years ago. No reason was given, but when I worked there last year during Christmas, they were having problems hiring drivers in Portland. They wanted me to come to Portland and work out of a motel. The US mail contract mandatory scale for drivers is $31.00/hr. This will be a big hit to local 81 in Portland. Also just learned that trucking mail contractor RB Matheson has also filed for chapt 11 bankruptcy protection as of May 5th. They are a large national mail contractor. This will have a dramatic impact on mail carrier contract service in the west. Not sure of all the implications of this, but I will try to get more info. If anyone else has any info, please weigh in. Hauling mail is a lot easier work than bucking freight, (I've done both) and if no one appears interested at $31.00 /hr ....?.
Oh no!!! Who’s going to deliver all my junk mail?!

Yeah I did. Medicare.
When I worked for Postal Fleece Services or in springtime Pothole Fleet Services, if you had approved health insurance your $5.00 would go into a retirement IRA and it would be paid in quarterly, and it was managed by an outfit that was all consuming fee wise, so there was a few of us that would take the beat and cash out when it was paid, rather than watch get devoured in fees.
Brugh was a teamster company. local 81 in Portland. Gonna be a big hit for them. They were big enough to fall under the federal law on 60 day notice of closure, but they didn't comply.

That 10Roads outfit advertises like $31.00 an hour, but read the whole package. About $5.00 comes out of your pay for your benefits. So it’s more like $26.00.
BRG do you know if that 10 Roads outfit was formerly Eagle Express? They were good for that kind of deceptive formula pay system.

BRG do you know if that 10 Roads outfit was formerly Eagle Express? They were good for that kind of deceptive formula pay system.
I believe that they took over Hoovestol and Eagle was a Hoovestol company, and I seem to remember that one of the Hoovestols was their owner or heavily involved in 10 Roads, I think they run the local routes that the Fleece had here.

Earlier this year, a number of multiple individual trucking companies owned by Hoovestol were merged into one company - 10 Roads Express. “We are a mail hauling company, and haul mail all over the country including Alaska,” Shonka explained. “The core of the business is mail.”Mar 17, 2021 ............................................................................................................................................................... Actually sounds like Hoovestol rebranded them all under the 10 Roads name.

Yeah I did. Medicare.

Brugh was a teamster company. local 81 in Portland. Gonna be a big hit for them. They were big enough to fall under the federal law on 60 day notice of closure, but they didn't comply.
Hangbelly,
Have you heard any more about Brugh closing? Their website is still up and running like normal.

That reminds me.

I remember a trucking company broken up into three different brands, Shaffer, sunflower and one other which escapes me. But they are all the same people.

Another time I think Gunther Trucking in PA was ordered out of the industry due to blatant and repeated habitual violating and the people some years later went to a little town in Annapolis Maryland and got a permits to open a trucking company there. However since the federal order applied to the two or three personally, it was not long before Maryland revoked the authority and permits etc.

They cannot be that stupid.

That reminds me.

I remember a trucking company broken up into three different brands, Shaffer, sunflower and one other which escapes me. But they are all the same people.

Another time I think Gunther Trucking in PA was ordered out of the industry due to blatant and repeated habitual violating and the people some years later went to a little town in Annapolis Maryland and got a permits to open a trucking company there. However since the federal order applied to the two or three personally, it was not long before Maryland revoked the authority and permits etc.

They cannot be that stupid.
gunther airfreight?... they deserved to be shut down