Central Transport | USF Holland vs Central Transport

bama3636

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello all,

I currently have offers from both USF Holland and Central Transportation. Can anyone give me any tips on which one to go with? I’m new to ltl and only know a little about each company. What I do know is that Central pays better but Holland has the better benefits (by far). Central offers a better work schedule than running unassigned at Holland for who knows how long.

I’m really just looking for some opinions of the pros and cons to each company. Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

I currently have offers from both USF Holland and Central Transportation. Can anyone give me any tips on which one to go with? I’m new to ltl and only know a little about each company. What I do know is that Central pays better but Holland has the better benefits (by far). Central offers a better work schedule than running unassigned at Holland for who knows how long.

I’m really just looking for some opinions of the pros and cons to each company. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Truckingboards..... I think Holland is better but I guess it depends on your situation...meaning are you ok financially to possibly have low earning weeks? I don't think that's the case right now as all LTLs are busy right now....get some experience and then you can go work for anyone.....good luck to you....

Welcome to Truckingboards..... I think Holland is better but I guess it depends on your situation...meaning are you ok financially to possibly have low earning weeks? I don't think that's the case right now as all LTLs are busy right now....get some experience and then you can go work for anyone.....good luck to you....
Thank you for the reply. I’m not too concerned with having some short weeks but having a set run ranks up there pretty high. Again thanks for the reply and welcome to the board!

I have worked at both..... holland is where I am at now.... busy busy busy.... if I were to choose between the two it would be holland..... benefits are top notch.... retirement??????

Go with what works for you.

I have worked at both..... holland is where I am at now.... busy busy busy.... if I were to choose between the two it would be holland..... benefits are top notch.... retirement??????

Go with what works for you.
Thanks for the reply. It’s good to hear from someone that’s worked at both places. Are you P&D or Linehaul? How long does it typically take to get a bid run? I know that can vary wildly but just your experience. Thanks for thr info!

Thanks for the reply. It’s good to hear from someone that’s worked at both places. Are you P&D or Linehaul? How long does it typically take to get a bid run? I know that can vary wildly but just your experience. Thanks for thr info!
I'm linehaul open board. It is what I choose... as far as a bid.... you will start at the bottom.... in time you will gain seniority then you can try to get a bid.... it will take some time.

Can’t say anything about Holland because they aren’t in Texas but I can speak about Central Transport… They are absolutely the worst in LTL as far as EVERYTHING…. IMO… Just read through some of their threads because some are long and most are factual. Maintenance of equipment is horrible… At one time they had no direct deposit.. not sure now.. At one time they had horrible healthcare.. Heard that was improved but you still just have lipstick on a pig. Their reputation proceeds them in LTL. They are bottom feeders. I’d run like hell! Don’t waste time building tenure at Central. Wait on SAIA…OD…FedEx… if possible… if not then go with Holland. It’s their reputation that proceeds them. Retired in LTL after 45 years and I know of no worse. I even worked for them at one point. Lasted two week. Ended up retiring at SAIA…..

Last edited:
Can’t say anything about Holland because they aren’t in Texas but I can speak about Central Transport… They are absolutely the worst in LTL as far as EVERYTHING…. IMO… Just read through some of their threads because some are long and most are factual. Maintenance of equipment is horrible… At one time they had no direct deposit.. not sure now.. At one time they had horrible healthcare.. Heard that was improved but you still just have lipstick on a pig. Their reputation proceeds them in LTL. They are bottom feeders. I’d run like hell! Don’t waste time building tenure at Central. Wait on SAIA…OD…FedEx… if possible… if not then go with Holland. It’s their reputation that proceeds them. Retired in LTL after 45 years and I know of no worse. I even worked for them at one point. Lasted two week. Ended up retiring at SAIA…..
Congratulations on your retirement. My friend has been with SAIA for 12 years now and really likes working with them. I greatly appreciate your response.

If you tell which terminal you are looking at you can get much more accurate responses. In my opinion working at Holland can be drastically different at different terminals. I would take a wild guess and say that is probably true at most companies? Working City vs working road board are drastically different also!0

If you tell which terminal you are looking at you can get much more accurate responses. In my opinion working at Holland can be drastically different at different terminals. I would take a wild guess and say that is probably true at most companies? Working City vs working road board are drastically different also!0
From his screen name.... I'm assuming..... Birmingham or Decatur..... just guessing

Thanks. I’m specifically talking about the Nashville, TN terminal as a city driver.

Also consider if yellow and holland are merging together at that terminal because if they are you may never get a bid run.

Also consider if yellow and holland are merging together at that terminal because if they are you may never get a bid run.
I’m sure someone could correct me on this but I do believe that Holland is next to be integrated with the other companies under the Yellow umbrella.

Last edited:
I would tell you long term to not stay at either company. Holland has the better benefits but is very unstable for all the reasons you already know. Central is a company that is ok for getting some experience and moving on. The only benefit I'll give them is greater job security for a new hire being less likely to face a layoff.

I would tell you long term to not stay at either company. Holland has the better benefits but is very unstable for all the reasons you already know. Central is a company that is ok for getting some experience and moving on. The only benefit I'll give them is greater job security for a new hire being less likely to face a layoff.
Thank you, I appreciate your input and insight.

Holland in theory only has a few more months of existence left. The merger of Holland,Reddaway,New Penn, and YRC will be complete soon. If you hire on with Holland now you need to understand that you will soon be working for the new Yellow Freight which will be the combined units name moving forward. All 4 companies will be merged into 1 operating unit in early 2022.

Yes, this is what I understand as well. Do you know the general perception of how this will effect everyone? Just curious if current employees were considering this as having a positive or negative impact. Thanks for the input!

Yes, this is what I understand as well. Do you know the general perception of how this will effect everyone? Just curious if current employees were considering this as having a positive or negative impact. Thanks for the input!
It is in my opinion..... what ever the drivers make of it... if they are going to be a sour puss about it... then they are going to be miserable. I'm going to take it day by day to see what it turns out to be.