XPO | Using Subcontractors While Employees Are Being Laid Off

Just want to add to your reply “crappy Insurance”

Need a root canal. Sucks.

Just got my estimate in from the dentist. $972 payable in full before treatment. Plus $250 if they need to do an imaging xray (she says 60/40 they will).

Another $750-850 estimated for the buildup of tooth and another $500 for a crown.

So $2500-3000. I'm left to decide which is more important, 3k or a molar. Might just have it pulled at this point. Wtf have I been paying insurance for these past 20 years?

Had same thing done to another tooth about ten years ago. $800 total with CCX(?)/conway Insurance.

What else could we bargain for, right? But 95% of the barn were happy when costs didnt go up as we lost 30% of our benefits. Jokers.

What else could we bargain for, right? But 95% of the barn were happy when costs didnt go up as we lost 30% of our benefits. Jokers.
That’s because most on concentrate on their weekly premiums and not on the content of its coverage. Sad but true . The company capitalizes on this .
The fact is we once had excellent insurance and didn’t pay a dime in premiums. Now we have poor insurance and pay for it weekly.
qr23f12.jpg

How long have you been in trucking? How long with this company?
Seems like we have a difference in standards or expectations.
21 years trucking,10 here. I worked at 3 other competitors and the reason I came here was because of better benefits, yes some things have changed since I started here but there isn't much difference in total package when you compare each company.

Don't get me wrong I know things aren't as good here as they use to but I guarantee the union will never amount to anything here so every one has a choice to accept what we have here or leave

Don't get me wrong I know things aren't as good here as they use to but I guarantee the union will never amount to anything here so every one has a choice to accept what we have here or leave
Or demand better. If you leave every place that starts to go bad you will be picking up and leaving your whole life.

Union or not , drivers have numbers and power , they just choose not to use either.

So I'm confused, if you have all of that PTO time, good run, top pay what are you complaining about? Like you said you can't go anywhere and get what you have right now.

Well, there's better pay, more PTO, a contract and a zero premium Team Care plan that actually pays for medical procedures you might need. Some drivers, with a family of four let's say. will save almost 5,000.00 a year with Team Care as opposed to Cigna. In my opinion only, the most important advantage to a union contract is the ability to bypass the kangaroo court of the Safety Review Board and grieve any and all discipline to a third party arbitrator. This in effect eliminates frivolous discipline. However, if you really earned an LOI by running into the rear end of a Ferrari while talking on your phone...nobody can help you.

What have you earned and not getting? I get my paycheck, PTO time, health insurance and 401k contributions every week. Is there something I'm missing?

An ABF or UPS compensation package. More money in your paycheck, overtime after 8, a pension and please forgive me if I say that what we have is NOT a health care plan. Team Care is a ZERO premium Health Care plan that actually pays for services you need. A driver with a family of four will save nearly 5,000.00 a year with Team Care as opposed to Cigna. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but that's missing a lot. Most of us don't realize what we are worth AND the company can well afford to pay.

How could you know that? There is a third choice. Organize, certify and sign a union contract. There is no harm in trying something different. There is no risk any longer. Six terminals have laid the tracks and all you have to do is hop on the train. You need 50% plus one to certify. Then, you begin contract talks. The Teamsters will not take one cent in dues from you until you have a signed and ratified a contract. They have been representing Miami for nearly 5 years. Not one cent. Why 5 years, you say? Because the company is very happy to delay this process, hoping somebody , somewhere will grow frustrated and give up. When we receive support from some of the other terminals considering representation, only then will we have the power to negotiate the contract we want.

How could you know that? There is a third choice. Organize, certify and sign a union contract. There is no harm in trying something different. There is no risk any longer. Six terminals have laid the tracks and all you have to do is hop on the train. You need 50% plus one to certify. Then, you begin contract talks. The Teamsters will not take one cent in dues from you until you have a signed and ratified a contract. They have been representing Miami for nearly 5 years. Not one cent. Why 5 years, you say? Because the company is very happy to delay this process, hoping somebody , somewhere will grow frustrated and give up. When we receive support from some of the other terminals considering representation, only then will we have the power to negotiate the contract we want.
There are lots of other people like me that see zero value in the Teamsters or there would have been a lot more barns that would have voted. If I wanted to be in a union I would of went to one of the companies where they are already established. Say what you want but XPO will never be union so you can either complain about it or deal with it. As a side note they have plenty of problems at the union companies, go check out their trucking board threads if you don't believe me.

There are lots of other people like me that see zero value in the Teamsters or there would have been a lot more barns that would have voted. If I wanted to be in a union I would of went to one of the companies where they are already established. Say what you want but XPO will never be union so you can either complain about it or deal with it. As a side note they have plenty of problems at the union companies, go check out their trucking board threads if you don't believe me.
I’m pretty content at ABF, sure I have my complaints like everyone else. $12+ an hour up to 40 hours into my pension, top of the line FREE healthcare, decent equipment, overtime after 8 & work rules. I wouldn’t call that zero value....

An ABF or UPS compensation package. More money in your paycheck, overtime after 8, a pension and please forgive me if I say that what we have is NOT a health care plan. Team Care is a ZERO premium Health Care plan that actually pays for services you need. A driver with a family of four will save nearly 5,000.00 a year with Team Care as opposed to Cigna. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but that's missing a lot. Most of us don't realize what we are worth AND the company can well afford to pay.
I hired in in October of 1998. In the 17 years I worked @ ABF under a union contract, C-6 Teamster Medical, I have yet to see any trucking company in the US match or exceed the coverage like I had. It takes a union contract to get that kind of coverage. Also I paid 60 bucks a month in dues. In a non union outfit my weekly cost to have the medical coverage (family) would be between 70 & 130 a week. Versus 60 a month dues. And 36,000 a year in pension income. Not bad for 17 years. I was lucky & blessed to have that coverage @ that cost. Turnover @ ABF is very low. The benefits alone for Med & Pension are worth 35 grand a year. Go union. von.

I hired in in October of 1998. In the 17 years I worked @ ABF under a union contract, C-6 Teamster Medical, I have yet to see any trucking company in the US match or exceed the coverage like I had. It takes a union contract to get that kind of coverage. Also I paid 60 bucks a month in dues. In a non union outfit my weekly cost to have the medical coverage (family) would be between 70 & 130 a week. Versus 60 a month dues. And 36,000 a year in pension income. Not bad for 17 years. I was lucky & blessed to have that coverage @ that cost. Turnover @ ABF is very low. The benefits alone for Med & Pension are worth 35 grand a year. Go union. von.
The health of the pension worries me. I'd rather be in control of my own retirement