XPO | Using Subcontractors While Employees Are Being Laid Off

Finally, we have the Ceva model. It's what an asset light company like XPO intended all along. Independent owner operators running what used to be your freight and cashing what used to be your paycheck.

Nonsense. There are no indications that XPO had or has any intention of wholesale conversion of drivers from company to contractor. It's a paranoid rumor, just like our being sold off again, that refuses to die. Endorsing it because it suits your purpose isn't helpful.

At our barn many drivers despise working the dock, but still want all the hours. So they complain when they hire dock help, and complain when they have dock help. I don't know what people think the company is supposed to do.

I like the help, personally. I take the short days when I get them and tolerate the long days when I have to.
My complaint is the lack of effort management is putting into the transition to fewer drivers on the dock.

From what I can see management is hiring new people with little to no experience in LTL. That would be fine if they received the appropriate time and training , but it's not happening. There's also little passing of knowledge from veterans that may be doing dockwork the correct way to newer folks.

For example , a dockworker can be awful and practice bad habits ( tearing up freight , no straps , no Safe Stack , breaking pallets , etc...) yet if they hit the motor moves per hour they won't be corrected. Not disciplining the bad apples rewards and reinforces bad behavior - and the bad behavior spreads.

As the system is set up now , the drivers are the backup for dockworkers. When they call off or are too slow or have no idea what they are doing. That's ridiculous because drivers are more expensive and most drivers want zero to do with dockwork.

I'm scratching the surface on this topic. My point is dockworkers done right can save money and keep drivers fresh and driving.

Teamsters..... It has been upheld at a National panel that if the Company is paying you they have a right to get productivity out of you. "Work as directed".
That must be brand new then . I have 28 years with the teamsters , 23 in linehaul and it once did I work the dock . I’ve picked up and loaded freight at a customers on the way to terminals but not once worked a company dock

My complaint is the lack of effort management is putting into the transition to fewer drivers on the dock.

From what I can see management is hiring new people with little to no experience in LTL. That would be fine if they received the appropriate time and training , but it's not happening. There's also little passing of knowledge from veterans that may be doing dockwork the correct way to newer folks.

For example , a dockworker can be awful and practice bad habits ( tearing up freight , no straps , no Safe Stack , breaking pallets , etc...) yet if they hit the motor moves per hour they won't be corrected. Not disciplining the bad apples rewards and reinforces bad behavior - and the bad behavior spreads.

As the system is set up now , the drivers are the backup for dockworkers. When they call off or are too slow or have no idea what they are doing. That's ridiculous because drivers are more expensive and most drivers want zero to do with dockwork.

I'm scratching the surface on this topic. My point is dockworkers done right can save money and keep drivers fresh and driving.
The lack of training and passing on of knowledge are huge and have been a problem for at least the 15 years I’ve been here. Unfortunately, as good, seasoned drivers leave, less and less is passed on. That goes for driving skills as well!

The lack of training and passing on of knowledge are huge and have been a problem for at least the 15 years I’ve been here. Unfortunately, as good, seasoned drivers leave, less and less is passed on. That goes for driving skills as well!
There a reason why knowledge isn't passed on. It is because these snowflakes can't take constructive criticism. I told a dockworker that he need to be smarter then the freight. Next thing I know I'm being called in on carpet and talked to and it's not the first time nor it will it be the last. In most case all I had to do was show them the f'ed freight their champion snowflake handled and it ends their.

For those of you out there here is what it means to be called in on the carpet.... When you work a blue collar job the only place in the building that has carpet is the bosses office. Though I hear they are removing the carpet because they are tired of these snowflakes coming in and melting all over it. It just get wet and smells really bad.

There a reason why knowledge isn't passed on. It is because these snowflakes can't take constructive criticism. I told a dockworker that he need to be smarter then the freight. Next thing I know I'm being called in on carpet and talked to and it's not the first time nor it will it be the last. In most case all I had to do was show them the f'ed freight their champion snowflake handled and it ends their.

For those of you out there here is what it means to be called in on the carpet.... When you work a blue collar job the only place in the building that has carpet is the bosses office. Though I hear they are removing the carpet because they are tired of these snowflakes coming in and melting all over it. It just get wet and smells really bad.
Unfortunately, having the courage to intervene isn’t worth it anymore. I usually only offer advice when asked unless I see something unsafe. My rule of thumb is if it doesn’t affect me, I keep my mouth shut. Shame really and it goes against my nature, but it is what it is.

This is death by a thousand cuts. You don't even notice the first hundred. Then, someone says, they aren't doing it to every one. Or, they'll stop soon enough. The next two hundred begin to cause pain, but that same some one says, If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Or, it's only a little bit of pain, it's part of your job. By the time they hit 500 cuts, you are now too weak to respond and they'll continue with or without your approval. The final step is using IC's and leaving you home. Then, the layoffs begin and you are forced to leave because you need a paycheck. Finally, we have the Ceva model. It's what an asset light company like XPO intended all along. Independent owner operators running what used to be your freight and cashing what used to be your paycheck. The only thing that stops them in Europe is the union. That's the only thing that can stop them here. If it wasn't for the threat of unionization, they would have put this plan into motion years ago. Now that they have their decert in Laredo, I assure you that they are planning another, although I can't say where. Contract talks will grind to a snail's pace in anticipation of their next step.

If you let a company this massive implement this model, EVERY LTL company will have to follow suit or they will be unable to compete with XPO's rates. Drivers will still make money, but you can forget about health insurance, pensions, IRA contributions, vacations and so much more.

Not really. Because they will lose so many drivers. And the drivers they do get will be unable to get the job done. And the good drivers will be working somewhere else. Pulling the freight. It doesn't matter how good your rates are if the freight never shows up. The company, with the most drivers, wins.

Nonsense. There are no indications that XPO had or has any intention of wholesale conversion of drivers from company to contractor. It's a paranoid rumor, just like our being sold off again, that refuses to die. Endorsing it because it suits your purpose isn't helpful.

Disagree about the rumor of being sold. Jacobs is a flipper. It's what he does. And he is mid 60s. So not looking at running this company long term. We are for sale and always have been. It's why we aren't Con-way any more. Stotlar cashed out. And soon enough, so will Jacobs.

Jacobs is doing everything he can to make the LTL as asset light as possible. Including selling the terminals off to a holding company and then leasing them back to XPO LTL. These things are happening. Regardless of what you or anyone else feels they may or may not indicate.

They throw them out there with zero training. Don't even know the basics of how to use the scanner. And then tell them to hurry up. But that safety is first. And the way these trailers are loaded. Freight all tore up. These guys spend more time picking up and attempting to recoup freight than they do moving anything. And your numbers don't reflect how destroyed the freight is.

Unfortunately, having the courage to intervene isn’t worth it anymore. I usually only offer advice when asked unless I see something unsafe. My rule of thumb is if it doesn’t affect me, I keep my mouth shut. Shame really and it goes against my nature, but it is what it is.

You try to say something to these children and they go to HR saying you are harassing them. Then a few weeks later they are stunned to be getting let go. Hey, you didn't wanna listen. So, it's whatever. If a guy asks me and wants to know. I will help as much as I can. Bend over backwards to help him out. Otherwise. I ain't worried about it. They will probably be gone before I ever even learn their name.

You try to say something to these children and they go to HR saying you are harassing them. Then a few weeks later they are stunned to be getting let go. Hey, you didn't wanna listen. So, it's whatever. If a guy asks me and wants to know. I will help as much as I can. Bend over backwards to help him out. Otherwise. I ain't worried about it. They will probably be gone before I ever even learn their name.
Wait. What? People get fired from here? Not for damaging freight, goofing off, smoking a but between trailers every half hour. I’ll stop there lol.

I know. I understand the thought process, I just don't think an imminent sale is driving the issues people are seeing.

Sure. And you should have said that originally.

I'm just saying. Don't blanket ignore variables that don't suit your argument. Leave that to them. They are the ones twisting the truth with half lies and double talk. Let that be their game.

Wait. What? People get fired from here? Not for damaging freight, goofing off, smoking a but between trailers every half hour. I’ll stop there lol.

Right now. Myself or any driver, could probably walk up and kick the TM square in the dick. And he'd be like. Hey, let's sit down and talk about things. What's making you feel this way ?

If your a dock hand. You better be making numbers. As has been repeatedly mentioned. It's not that drivers want dock work. But we are all perfectly capable. And when we do lose a bunch of hands. They throw us out there and the drivers are all top of the page. And then the FOSs are out there ripping these kids. How are you gonna let these old asses in their 40s and 50s make you look incompetent ? These lazy old frakkers are older than your dads. What are you doing out here ?

Long story short. You can do just about whatever you want. Tear up freight. Goof off. Smoke right there in the trailer. Ain't even gotta hide. If you got your numbers. If you ain't got numbers. You'll have some free time coming.