Yellow | UTILITY DRIVERS NOW?

I'm pretty sure this argument has been put forth on these boards several times before. City guys, paid from the second they punch in. Home in their own bed every night. Have to fight off crazy city four wheelers all day. It's a real job. Road drivers, except perhaps the top 15 percent, work at night run long distances to God knows where. Almost every company has some type of deal where road drivers give the company 30 minutes or 1 hour or more to the company for free whenever they are stopped. And as stated sometimes working 6 days a week with no OT. Someone making your argument has never spent any time running the line and dealing with all the delights that job presents. Want to make " the big money" go on the road. This an old story let's move on.
What he said!!!! :clap: :clapping:

I'm pretty sure this argument has been put forth on these boards several times before. City guys, paid from the second they punch in. Home in their own bed every night. Have to fight off crazy city four wheelers all day. It's a real job. Road drivers, except perhaps the top 15 percent, work at night run long distances to God knows where. Almost every company has some type of deal where road drivers give the company 30 minutes or 1 hour or more to the company for free whenever they are stopped. And as stated sometimes working 6 days a week with no OT. Someone making your argument has never spent any time running the line and dealing with all the delights that job presents. Want to make " the big money" go on the road. This an old story let's move on.
After you work for both sides of the fence at some point in your career like I have then you can have an opinion. And it’s the fence that I’d like to see disappear. Both sides have their positives and their negatives. You give up one to get another. I stated drivers gone all week premium pay- absolutely. Sleeping in your own bed during the day versus city drivers at night doesn’t warrant a 20-30 percent pay gap. Any doubts with this please feel free to ride with me anytime. I’m certain after the first few dock setups you’ll be scratching your head wondering how the hell I just did that.

After you work for both sides of the fence at some point in your career like I have then you can have an opinion. And it’s the fence that I’d like to see disappear. Both sides have their positives and their negatives. You give up one to get another. I stated drivers gone all week premium pay- absolutely. Sleeping in your own bed during the day versus city drivers at night doesn’t warrant a 20-30 percent pay gap. Any doubts with this please feel free to ride with me anytime. I’m certain after the first few dock setups you’ll be scratching your head wondering how the hell I just did that.
What if I am sleeping in someone else’s bed at night?

We're on the same page here M444. I have 50 years in this racket and it has been pretty evenly split between city and road. Cut my teeth in NYC and the boroughs, doing p and d. We are the only industry in this country that has a segment that can't be paid OT by Federal decree. We all want the same thing, hourly for everyone and OT after 8 hrs. Never going to happen. This little conversation we are having is one of the reasons. We can't agree on the color of the damn sky! We are one of the biggest single group of employees in this country. If we could all agree to shut it down for 3 days, things could change but never going to happen. Just a side note, when they started pulling freight off the trains and running it on trucks on the line as it was called, they paid those road guys by the hour with OT. But the powers to be pushed for the exemption in 1935 with th ICC act. My dad's uncle was running the line. As soon as they started paying by the mile he bumped right back into the city.

I was told that line haul is now UTILITY DRIVERS? PA Terminal
They wanted that at FedEx freight. They said they were more versatile. Could do city road or dock. Seeing how your new guy use to be RVP at FedEx makes sense huh. Good luck! He's a real POS!

Listen to half of what he says, and believe half of that!

We're on the same page here M444. I have 50 years in this racket and it has been pretty evenly split between city and road. Cut my teeth in NYC and the boroughs, doing p and d. We are the only industry in this country that has a segment that can't be paid OT by Federal decree. We all want the same thing, hourly for everyone and OT after 8 hrs. Never going to happen. This little conversation we are having is one of the reasons. We can't agree on the color of the damn sky! We are one of the biggest single group of employees in this country. If we could all agree to shut it down for 3 days, things could change but never going to happen. Just a side note, when they started pulling freight off the trains and running it on trucks on the line as it was called, they paid those road guys by the hour with OT. But the powers to be pushed for the exemption in 1935 with th ICC act. My dad's uncle was running the line. As soon as they started paying by the mile he bumped right back into the city.
Thats why they took down J Hoffa and deregulated too limit our collective power !!!!

Son, don’t attempt to lesson me on “brotherly”. This huge pay gap has been rubbed into the noses of the city men for years. Is that “brotherly”? We’re supposed to be “One Yellow” now. How about “One union” too. If you want to preach “brotherly” then help them bring theirs up towards the same level.
I missed something, I thought your post #13 said you would accept a reduction.

Good point Chicago and Dallas have the power to throw one hell of a monkey wrench into this COO. Let's hope our union leaders we voted in are on the ball and brother and sister Teamsters help save good jobs and positions we fought hard for.
I'm not getting on a forklift or working the dock not my job. They really think 300 to 400lbs+ drivers working the dock is a good idea?

I'm not getting on a forklift or working the dock not my job. They really think 300 to 400lbs+ drivers working the dock is a good idea?
So how many 300-400 lb road drivers are there @ 309? I only know about 2 shuttle guys that weigh maybe 250.