Central Transport | utter confusion

otrpetercar777

TB Lurker
Credits
It's been quite sometime since I have posted on here so I have alot to comment onbear with me. Wages. There are what 6 different wages out there? Vitran central (with 4 teirs due to cost of living),Vitran West (sierra west) Vittan southwest (chris truck) Vitran east (Pjax) Vitran Central previous (Quast) and Vitran Canada. So no mater where you work somebody in this company will have it better than you. Equiptment. Yeah the trucks are hammered turds. If the the truck is out of service due to a actual out of service violation (D.O.T) then yes you have the right to refuse to drive it , same way with trailers. So whom is guilty? The guys that sits and complains to knowbody important, the guy that writes it up and continues to drive it, the guy that is tired of writitng it up cuz "they (the company) won't fix it", the guy whom dosen't do a proper pre-trip and post-trip because "it's all junk anyway"? The equiptment is getting better as far as matinence. If it is out of service don't drive it don't pull it! As a previous dock manager and as a current driver I have seen it both ways either someone dosen't want to be detained (swap freight to another trailer) or didn't do a pre-trip. There isn't one of us on here that isn't guilty at one time or another. Communication. This companies major problem is communication, that is from the top (gaetz and kosovic) to you the driver. Knowbody can make a descision without approval from higher up. Case in point. Last week. A new run was started out of WIC to MSP on 10-18-10 everybody had known about it for a month. Communication failure. It's Monday. Terminals are told. Wait for it. Nobody thought of the fact the MSP trucks are not permitted for KS, don't have KTAGS (for toll road) don't have over weight and over length permits (for triples). Now the finger pointing begins. WIC had a driver in place and truck with all proper permits. Central dispatch (doug g.) waited until Monday afternoon to email MSP. At 7pm CST dispatch out of WIC was changed because somebody at MSP realized that they didn't have a truck with permits and a KTAG. Everybody gets mad and the finger pointing begins because somebody dropped the ball and knowbody wants the blame. (this was pointed out in a get intouch email I sent last week, yes I put my name on it, yes I got a responce). My point of this rant is this. Control what you can control in your little world. Do your job the way your suppose to. (pre-trip, post trip, refuse DOT out of service, communicate In Touch. I know that I will catch alot of crap over this and nobody will even agree with anything that I have said because it is easier to be part of the problem rather than part of a solution.

hmm

Well sir I don't drive a junk truck, because I am lucky enough to drive between two terminals with shops, if there is anything mechanically wrong with my truck I have nobody to blame but, myself. Break downs will happen thats the nature of the beast. I do realize that most of the guys do not have the same luck or situation that I do traveling between 2 shops. I think that you misunderstood my little rant, I offered my opinion only for solutions to problems. I know that this little site seems to be only for complaining. I guess no level headed positive arguments are considered? Who is lamar?

Well sir I don't drive a junk truck, because I am lucky enough to drive between two terminals with shops, if there is anything mechanically wrong with my truck I have nobody to blame but, myself. Break downs will happen thats the nature of the beast. I do realize that most of the guys do not have the same luck or situation that I do traveling between 2 shops. I think that you misunderstood my little rant, I offered my opinion only for solutions to problems. I know that this little site seems to be only for complaining. I guess no level headed positive arguments are considered? Who is lamar?
You get the same truck every day/night? Lucky you. After scrubbing mine inside and out and hounding every shop I passed to make it right, it was yanked out from under me to please a new hire who liked it the day I was off. This is the third one -and last that I do this. Now we get what ever is available (and running). I give up. Now I just waste an hour of the company's time dot'ing the snot out of whatever I end up with , and whatever i am pulling. The same truck every day sped that up-I knew it well. I get tired of hitting shops to get different trucks fixed (on my time).
You guys pull triples? I thought doubles were bad enough with our junk dollies...

You get the same truck every day/night? Lucky you. After scrubbing mine inside and out and hounding every shop I passed to make it right, it was yanked out from under me to please a new hire who liked it the day I was off. This is the third one -and last that I do this. Now we get what ever is available (and running). I give up. Now I just waste an hour of the company's time dot'ing the snot out of whatever I end up with , and whatever i am pulling. The same truck every day sped that up-I knew it well. I get tired of hitting shops to get different trucks fixed (on my time).
You guys pull triples? I thought doubles were bad enough with our junk dollies...

mr peter spends alot of time polishing adams chrome :fruit:

:Violin:looks like your keepin your own chrome polished pretty well in your new picture speedracer maybe you could give the rest of us some pointers.the guy has a point wether u like it or not .most people come on here and ***** about how bad there job sux every damn day well take a number cause im tired of listening to your ::shit::. i have been here over a decade and you people dont know what hard times are. make the best of it or do us all a favor and get the hell out

6 different wages

Vitran pay scale is based off of the teamsters contracts. Every region has a different pay scale due to the cost of living in that geographic area.

If you think that by going Teamsters you are getting a nationwide pay scale, you will not get that. If you live in Chicago it costs more for housing and food then it does to live in rural Texas.

Facts of life. You if are that unhappy then you would be better off seeking happiness elsewhere. Jimmy Junior and the Mob will not bring you contentment. They will however, take 2 1/2 hours of your pay for dues and you will be lucky to even see a Business Representative unless you go down to the union hall.

true lamar, but ill give them 2 1/2 hours of my pay for what they make an hour. they have a great retirement, we have had none contributed to ours in 2 years. our pay cut, bonuses gone,insurance going up with less coverage,no raises in 2 1/2 years. they get o.t. after 8 hours. seniority means your the first to get screwed. its hard to compare one to another,but id like to have what i was told when i was hired here over a decade ago,would make most of us happy i think without a union. hopefully the economy will turn around and we can find something else that will make us all happy.

Retirement

I have a retirement locked in from the Teamsters and I got a letter this past summer that the fund stating that my pension was being cut by 25% because Yellow has not made contributions for several years. The letter went on to say that if the situation with Yellow doesn't improve the pension fund will go bankrupt and will turned over to the US pension guarantee fund. If pension guarantee fund takes over the Teamsters pension fund then the pension amount will be worth 60%. Sorry but in my opinion, the Teamsters is not the answer.

My Great Teamster pension was worth $625 a month but I have to be 67 to collect. It is not worth $468 a month. If Yellow and ABF go belly up and the pension is taken over by the federal government it will be worth $281 a month.

You have to also keep in mind that PJAX closed the Philadelphia terminal back in the 90's when they voted Teamsters and Vitran closed a couple of terminals when they voted in the Teamsters. I think one was in St. Louis, but I am not sure on that.

For only being a member since August you seem to know a lot about Vitran and PJAX. Full disclosure now are you a Teamster organizer??

not a teamster organizer, just tired of being screwed by vitran.i stay informed for the company i work for by reading their own website and quarterly reports. i also read the newspapers online from canada. ive been with vitran/pjax for 13 years so i do know a little about both places.how long were you a teamster lamar? my father was and retired 3 years ago with a pension of $3,000 a month. $100 for each year of service. what do i get from vitran $0. my point is, there is no reason why we shoudnt have all we were promised when hired. how can upper management get bonuses and buy 2 more supply chain companies if they are hurting so bad. easy, they are using the money taken from us. give me what they took and i can live with that.